Fat bar question

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fat bar question

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have a question for those of you that have put on the fat tapered handlebars with no crossbar. I would like to eventually put on a Scotts steering damper, and would like to ditch the crossbar for two reasons, 1) it seems like it would interfere with the damper, 2)and I have a computer that would be easier to see sometimes without the bar.

I looked at Renthal's website, and it appears they don't offer clamps for the KDX. I'd like to retain the rubber mounting, and possibly go to a one-piece top bar clamp if that's compatible with the Scotts. Anybody been down this road with the renthals or similar bars?

thanks,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rethnal doesn't sell the KDX clamps for a stabilizer, computer and fat bars... Scotts does. The crossbar does not get in the way of anything as I had this setup on my KDX before I went to a KX front end. Now I have the same setup on it.

I have my KDX solid top clamp for a Scotts, 7/8" bars and computer in the for sale section at half the price of new if you are looking for one. And you retain your rubber mounted lower clamps.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

thanks, sent you a PM.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's what the complete setup looks like....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I love my fat bar set up. But that's because I wanted to run the GPS, but keep it low enough to not be prone to damage when I play dirt taster. Happens all too often! This wasn't possible with the crossbar. I can also see my trail tech better without the crossbar.

As far as the damper goes...I called Scott's because hidden on the picture pages of their website was a little statement..."Scott's top triple clamp is required on the KDX for running Fat Bars with a Scott's Damper." They stated that the way that the stock top 3T's bar mount surface is raised and sloped back toward the rider along with the rubber mounts with the Fat Bars cause stress on the damper that may cause it to not function properly. Wow...say that 10 times. I did not ask about the 7/8" bars since I had no intention changing out the Fat Bars.

I went with the WER...and first ride impression...way better than with no damper.

I have some photo's in the Gallery.

Sweet setup Inda!! :supz:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thanks guys, I bought Inda's clamp setup. Still saving my pennies for the actual damper. Baby steps...
Mike

'04 KDX220