Used O3 220R engine woes

Got questions? We got answers....
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Used O3 220R engine woes

Post by TopperHarley »

I picked up a used 03 220R engine with the intention of doing a bench build and allways having a fresh enging to swap out of my 02 and 05 when needed. (Obsessive, compulsive, anal, retentive, addictive disorder or maybe just a hobby). Engine appeared and was stated by seller and to be in excellent running condition. When I received it, Pulled off the head and sent to RB for a shave. noticed the the cylinder walls were in poor shape. there was alot of scoring and some oxidization or something, maybe aluminum deposits from a seize and some rusty sludge water. so I stipped down the head and sent it off to get re plated. The KIPS were so heavily carbonized that im not sure they would have moved much.Got them all cleaned and polised up nice. the rod and the crank had some surface rust but everything rotated with no problem. tipped it upside down and some rusty sludge water came out. I sprayed it down with solvent to get rid of the moisture and sludge. poured a bit of oil on the crank and let it sit for a couple days because I was busy with other stuff. came back and the crand didnt want to rotate. I guess some grit or sludge got into the bearings. I poured some more oil over it and down the lucricating holes and it freed up nicely. rotated it for a while and puored out the oil which came out very dirty with debris in it. Did that a couple more times and it seems to rotate nicely with no rough spots or binding at all. I think that the guy accidentally sprayed some water and grit in the intake and or exhaust when he was cleaning it for the auction photo shoot or it got doused in the creek and not properly cleaned out. anyway, think I should try running it like this or split the case to inspect everything? I dont have the special tools or the experience so I would probably take it to the shop. dont really want to spend the cash on it.
Last edited by TopperHarley on 11:28 pm Sep 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd go with it.... but then again I hate to tear the lowend apart.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Well its not in you best interest to run it as is, to many unknowns, it would be bummer to swap out engines after spending time and money, in the middle of a nice ride just to find out you should of torn it all the way down.
you have the time to learn with out your bike being out of service, so do it. After you will know for sure the engine is golden and once you put it in you will have a good five years of service out of it (the bottom end). nothing like going on a long trail ride with the confidence of a solid bike.
the guy I got my bike from stripped it down and cleaned and re assembled the bike and I still had to go over a lot my self. there is the"right way" and your way of doing things, do it your way cause you know it works. just my two bits.

its like the difference between Fredette and RB at least with RB there is some info and results of what his work does and is suppose to do. Fredette does good work but dam if I can find any info on it. not that it maters but to me.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.