new mods and how to end badly a good day ride...

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

new mods and how to end badly a good day ride...

Post by scheckaet »

I finally dropped my training wheels! no more blend stock pipe and hello mister gnarly wood!!! :drool:
Friend of mine sold a bunch of parts from his 220: frame guard, bigger gas tank, handlebar, wider foot pegs, new front and rear suspension , bark buster (they're more like tree deflector.if you know what I mean...and oh boy am I glad I had them today!)
I had to wait a whole EXCRUCIATING, AGONIZING 7 days to try it out :evil: .
I finally got to try it today and :shock: this thing opened up the bike even more that I anticipated :mrgreen: :supz: this is beautiful man :lol: . This almost brought tears to my eyes, time to celebrate :partyman: .
Anyway, long story short I rode about 30 miles with the new pipe and could not get ride of the grin on my face. :lol:

It was finally time to call it a quit so I loaded the bike on the trailer (this is where the story goes horribly wrong...)
Did everything as usual, drove about 3 miles, everything was fine when I hit a damn pothole and a loud BANG caught my attention.
I looked in the rear view mirror to check out if the bike was still there and (you know where this is going) and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO where is the bike? and what is that scrapping noise coming from? Aaaarg! I believe I had a dozen heart attack all at once!
Finally stopped the car, got off and it's funny how fast your mind is running in this kind of situation but I already pictured the type and extent of the damages... :cry:.
I expected a busted tank, bent handlebar, smashed pipe (my NEW pipe :cry: ), forget about the graphics and fenders, probably all good for the trashcan. Even worse, the frame could be bent! Aaarg!!!
By some kind of miracle, the bike was still 1/2 on the trailer (there is still hope :? ) the other 1/2 dangling on the tire and the road.
Got the bike back on the trailer, inspected it and the only apparent damage was the bark buster a little scraped (2nd time it saved me today, probably the best investment I have ever done on the bike!!!).
The fender has a nasty tire burns and the muffler/rear fender has a bit of "road rash".
Nothing looks bent or dented too bad so far, the angel of KDX was looking over me today!!!
After smocking 1/2 a pack of cigarettes just to calm my nerves, I finally inspected the ties down (the one that failed :mad:) and guess what the stupid thing failed were the 2 ends are stiched together!!!
One piece of advice to you all: NEVER EVER EVER buy cheap ratchet ties down from walmart, you will regret it!
In the end everything should be fine, I can't be happy enough with my new mods. I definitely recommend getting a new pipe to all of you guys that are still stock, the difference is nothing short of amazing, you won't be disappointed.
Last advice, if you have a cheap trailer, make sure the bike is secured and your tie down in good shape!!!

Wilf
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Will 2nd that ratchet binders are not a place to save money. I had a similar experience,and came out OK as well...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good advice....

Cheap tie downs are a waste of money.

Glad everything came out OK and glad you got to experience what a KDX can do. Wait til you do the rest of the mods.... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Tie downs.....There is ONLY one kind right? Begin with the letter A.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:Tie downs.....There is ONLY one kind right? Begin with the letter A.
Huh? I'm slow, which tie downs should be used?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good quality tie downs can be bought at your local Farm Supply Store or even Sears etc..... If you get 4 for $4.99 they are CRAP! If they cost $30- $40... they most likely are well made. Also... look for a name brand.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I use Ancra straps and the whole trailer moves once the bkes strapped in good.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Inda"s right. Don"t be cheap. I have uesed nothing but ANCRA tie downs, have a set that is 20+ years old, along with new ones. Take care of them and they will last a lifetime. :supz:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

Ditto on the better ties. Also I always throw that extra heavy bungee, rope whatever is available around the front wheel and attach it to something towards the front of the truckbed/trailer as a last second devise that may give you those few extra moments before the bike goes off the back. Kind of like the safety chain from the trailer to the hitch.

Glad to hear it was only minor damage. Have fun on the new improved green ripper.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The rope is a GREAT idea. Better be safe than sorry :supz:
I will defenitly have fun with the new mods, I found myself using the breaks at the exit of most corners cause I was too fast for the next 1! This is SWEET. :mrgreen: .
Now I have to tune my suspension right to take those corners and I should be good for a while.
wilf
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

I agree that the Ancra Classic tiedowns are the best there is. I've had mine for close to 20 yrs. The very day I bought mine, my friend saved $ 5 by buying a cheaper set. His Quad fell off the trailer on the way to our riding area.

The Parts Unlimited tiedowns are complete crap.

I bought some in a pinch and went to loosen one up to relieve the pressure on the front forks. The cam buckle stuck open and the bike went down. That has never happened with the Ancras.

I have used them to tie down everything imagineable over the years. They still work like new.

Ancra. The ONLY ones I trust.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."