How often should the engine be checked out?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

How often should the engine be checked out?

Post by wanaride »

I've had my KDX200 for three years and she has about 1400 miles on her. The bike runs fine, but some comments from a local mechanic about a different dirtbike got me to thinking...

He said that carbon buildup on the intake/exhaust ports could eventually catch on the piston ring, causing the ring to break off which could cause serious damage to the engine. This got me to thinking about tearing down the engine just to see how things are going. Considering how much my bike has smoked over those miles, the engine internals probably look like a black hole.

I haven't tore down an engine before and I'm a little intimidated. I have the service manual and I have had most of the rest of the bike apart at some time, but not the engine. Does it sound crazy to tear down the top end and cylinder just to see how carbonized it is? (I think the service manual actually recommends this periodically.) Once I take the cylinder apart, will I have to replace the piston and rings? Any gotchas to think about during this?

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

I am actually busy doing that exact thing on my bike. I am just going through it and giving her a new piston and rings, new gaskets and cleaning everything out. When I took out the piston it had a thick layer of carbon on the piston, but was not very bad all throughout. She needed new rings and head gasket though. You do not haveto replace the piston and rings, but for like $20 New rings might be a good idea. Just go by the service manual, It gives you in depth step by step insturctions that help a lot on the tear down process.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Its not as intimidating as it looks. I have done it, with one problem. HOLD THE KIPS ACTUATOR ROD WITH A WRENCH. Otherwise you will bend the mechanism that is insode the clutch housing. PITA, since you now have to take more of the engine apart.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Change the wrist pin bearings and clips too. Cheap insurance.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220