Riding on flats?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Riding on flats?

Post by Indawoods »

Anybody ride for 4 days on flat tires?

I did.... didn't even notice much. Ran with the best of them through tight turns, jumps, hill climbs etc....

It was a non-event.... Your body and riding style will adapt.

My brother asked me if I ride with low tire pressure and I told him yes... I never put 2 and 2 together until I got home and washed the bike noticing that the bead was broke loose on the rear. I was hooking up great and had no complaints..... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

4 days? no, but I did ride from about 120mph to 0 in about an eighth of a mile through a left sweeper on a blown rear tire once. I'd rather not do that again. :blink:

Oh, and I noticed it right away. :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
toddco

Post by toddco »

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Heres to us,and those like US! Dame few left.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: I've had a good few rear flats and I also notice it immediately. BEats me how you didn't notice it. :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

Funny you mentioned that. I rode out of the woods for about 10 miles on a completely blown front just yesterday. I'm usually the guy with all the extra tools, tubes and air on his body or bike. But not yesterday, I figured we were just going for a "quick one" and I'd be fine.

Surprisingly, It wasn't too bad until I had to turn sharp, I was trying to keep the tire on the rim the whole way back, and also never heard the clank of a rock against the rim that I was expecting. I guess there is always that little bit of air left in the tube and the fact that it was a newer tire with a lot of rubber left on it helped.
I also pretty much lugged it in third most the way.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"I figured we were just going for a "quick one" and I'd be fine"

Yeah thats what I thought & now I have 4 kids :rolleyes:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

try this
http://www.tireballs.com/
The Off-Road Pro Version is the original heavy duty cells made for maximum durability and longevity. The strength of these allow them to sustain high speed obstacle impacts commonly encountered in cross country and desert racing. The Off-Road Pro kits weigh less than mousse inserts and heavy duty tubes. The low permeability of these cells allow operable pressures to be maintained for up to 9-12 months without noticeable pressure loss. The Off-Road Pro Tire Ball kit cells are warranted against any type of failure, including punctures for a period of 12 months. Price per wheel $199.95 US Dollars.
06 200H

GALLERY!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

They are a Great Product, but $400 for both wheels is a little steep
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:"I figured we were just going for a "quick one" and I'd be fine"

Yeah thats what I thought & now I have 4 kids :rolleyes:

Hmm...No, that would be "I don't think I did honey?" and now my wife is due at the end of this week... :rolleyes:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

LMAO!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Whenever I've had a flat it was immediately noticable. You must run some pretty stiff sidewall tires.

I would have bent the rim up for sure with the tire I run (trials tire). When I used a M5B tire it may have been possible to ride with a flat because I know I rode it once with about 6 psig in it.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just a S12 on the rear and a M12 on the front. Not all that stiff but I was cutting corners faster than everyone else.... I think this is due to the rear shifting further than everyone else allowing me to cut quicker.

I don't normally run this way but it wasn't a hinderance either.

I think the "shop" installed my tires incorrectly which seems to be the norm. From now on I will never trust a shop to do my mechanical work. I only let them do it because I didn't have any irons.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, can't trust those basstages for anything. That shop on the south side of Bloomington is a good place for tires. That guy does it all for free, and isn't a complete wrench monkey. When I lived down there I dropped off my bike, watied 20 mins, and put the bike on the trailer and left.... :supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

You can use Screw drivers to do your bike tires...they arent that big...

and how "falt" was it?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It wasn't "falt" it was FLAT! :lol:

No air at all.... ordering the Harbor Freight system tonight! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Before I order though.... can I get some opinions on these tire irons?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Di ... mber=93230
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

my brother pits for desert races and has told me that alot of the time someone has to tell the riders they haxe a flat on the rear or they just take back off again.
liv2ride626

Post by liv2ride626 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Before I order though.... can I get some opinions on these tire irons?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Di ... mber=93230
Personally I dont like the tire irons with big spoons, they tend to get hung up on the rim when you are trying to pull them out. I prefer the little ones. The length is nice though.
Superwilly

Post by Superwilly »

You know, that's probably the only benefit of being fat like me - I would know for sure when I had a flat! :)
'85 KDX 200
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

SCREWDRIVERS!!!! Why waste money on irons, when 2 flathead screwdrivers would be JUST as good...and cheaper (everyone on this site seems to want to keep things cheap) so that it the perfect thing to use...and how could you NOT notice a FLAT tire? didnt your backend get all snaky on you?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!