91, kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
ricke9590

91, kdx

Post by ricke9590 »

Hey all brand new to forum, got a ton of questions and have been using search, but will post anyways.

I just got ahold of a 91 kdx 200 for cheap (ran). I am in the proccess of rebuilding it for friends to ride with me. Basically I need to find somewhere to get carb rebuilt first off, any good places to send it to?

The compression was shot, tore it apart last night and the piston has a gouge in the side of it, so have to replace that, where to buy? (rings also)

Have to rebuild front and rear suspension (where to buy rebuild parts?)

Seat is a bit rough would like to find a new one. And also find a graphics kit to cover the faded green (if anyone knows someone)

Thanks
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: 91, kdx

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
ricke9590 wrote:Hey all brand new to forum, got a ton of questions and have been using search, but will post anyways.

I just got ahold of a 91 kdx 200 for cheap (ran). I am in the proccess of rebuilding it for friends to ride with me. Basically I need to find somewhere to get carb rebuilt first off, any good places to send it to?

The compression was shot, tore it apart last night and the piston has a gouge in the side of it, so have to replace that, where to buy? (rings also)

Have to rebuild front and rear suspension (where to buy rebuild parts?)

Seat is a bit rough would like to find a new one. And also find a graphics kit to cover the faded green (if anyone knows someone)

Thanks
Send RBD (a member here and owner of http://www.rb-designs.com) a PM and ask him what he can do in relation to the carby.

If the piston is scored theres a good chance the cylinder will be also. Probably a good idea to check it out while shes apart.

eBay for the rest.

Oh and welcome aboard. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Check the condition of the KIPS (exhaust valves) while you have it apart as well. The E series (89-94) KDX's have a habit of stripping the gears on the valves when they get gummed up with spooge from not being maintained properly.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Good call Morie, it stripped, I mean slipped my mind. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

if you need new fork springs i advise paying for the correct ones for your weight as the 91 kdx fork springs are way to soft. You can use xr400 springs if you need information on this feel free to ask.
E series 91 KDX
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

Thanks for the good info, workin on it all slowly as I get time. finding piston and gonna get carb fixed first off
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Check the condition of the KIPS (exhaust valves) while you have it apart as well. The E series (89-94) KDX's have a habit of stripping the gears on the valves when they get gummed up with spooge from not being maintained properly.
What do I need to look for? I finally got the parts in, minus the carb rebuild and will slap it back together this week. I think I saw it when I tore down the engine but didnt honestly pay that much attetion. Thanks
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you remove the kips valves from the cylinder head they will most likely be covered in baked on carbon and spooge. Once you clean them off you can take a look at the gear on the bottom of each of the kips valves. If the teeth on the gears is stripped or broken then you should replace the valve.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

I got this apart tonight just messing around. If your looking down at the cylinder, the right side has 2 gears, the inside one, the pin fell out and the Im not sure but it looks like the gear the sheared, Im not sure if its suppost to connect to the bottom one or not, the gear is alot smaller then the other 2, other then that it seems ok. Also what the order these should open, both at same time or....... when the gear fell out I didnt get a chance to see how they where lined up. Thanks again.

Also I need to find the head bolts torque settings for when I put it back together.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

The diagram has a note at the bottom of page 3 saying you can glue broken valves open?? the small gear ontop of the right side exhaust valve has sheared, that gonna be a huge issue or should I replace it?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd replace the kips gear personally.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

Ok I am putting this bike back together, looking for a couple of quick pointers... What is the best thing you found for the crank case on these bikes? And I been using search to find the head gasket torque settings but got a return of 800+, any help there much apprec. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Huge thanks to everyone so far!