Throttle cable confusion

Got questions? We got answers....
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Throttle cable confusion

Post by JZ05220r »

Hey guys. I’m checking over the throttle cable adjustment on my h series kdx. I found that the adjuster is hanging on by only a few threads when I have it set where I would like. By the time I adjust all of the free play out of the throttle the adjuster is no longer threaded into the housing. I’m confused as the carb slide is all the way down and the idle screw isn’t cranked up all of the way either. Anybody ever run into this issue? The cable is no more than a few years old. Seems to me it’s the wrong cable yet has all the correct rubber bolts like the one that covers the elbow and hugs the carb cap.
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Throttle cable confusion

Post by SS109 »

You should have two adjustment points on a KDX throttle cable, one at the throttle assembly and one at the top of the carb cap. Try to adjust the one on the cap almost fully out then adjust the one at the throttle assembly and see if that fixes the problem. If not, it's time for a new cable. Also, you should have a just a small amount of free play in the throttle before you feel it pulling on the cable.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Throttle cable confusion

Post by JZ05220r »

SS109 wrote: 12:59 am Mar 07 2024 You should have two adjustment points on a KDX throttle cable, one at the throttle assembly and one at the top of the carb cap. Try to adjust the one on the cap almost fully out then adjust the one at the throttle assembly and see if that fixes the problem. If not, it's time for a new cable. Also, you should have a just a small amount of free play in the throttle before you feel it pulling on the cable.
Thank you. I’ll check the cap. Didnt think it would really make much of a difference but If I can at least 1/4” more of adjustment, it will help
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf