1990 KDX 200 Water Pump Issues

Got questions? We got answers....
TermiNater09

1990 KDX 200 Water Pump Issues

Post by TermiNater09 »

Long story short I’ve been in and out of this bike a lot fixing the previous owners issues. The water pump has been a constant nuisance and is always leaking despite fixes. We are replacing the bearings now as it may have been the initial problem. I’m just needing some reassurance on the water pump for my bike. It’s a 1990 kdx 200. I’m just wanting to make sure that the bearing that fits in the middle of the shaft for the impeller doesn’t need to sit flush. We tried getting it further down for a bit and it doesn’t seem like it can go any further.

The other thing is that on the other end of the shaft where the impeller is, it seems like the schematic shows there is a washer sitting on the water pump seal. However, it would be spinning on the seal and I’m afraid that would just wear it down quicker. I've heard some people say that there are two versions of my bike; one that uses the washer and one that doesn't. Originally my bike didn't have the washer on the end but the original owner also used a clutch pack from a different bike so anything could be possible lol. Just let me know if it seems to look ok in the pics or any of your thoughts. Thanks!
The impeller seems to be rubbing the cover as well so it makes me think it isn’t out enough. Just want to feel confident enough to put it back together again x4.
Attachments
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 KDX 200 Water Pump Issues

Post by SS109 »

It's been a while since I had my '90 but hopefully I'm remembering everything correctly.

Always use the '91 and later seal. It is much improved over the '89-'90 seal. The seal does protrude out somewhat for the impeller to push against to create the pressure seal. The washer does not ride on the seal but is important to create the proper pressure on the seal. It fits within it IIRC. Is that bearing bottomed out? It should sit flush to the bottom of the recess it sits in.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
TermiNater09

Post by TermiNater09 »

SS109 wrote: 09:48 pm Sep 29 2023 It's been a while since I had my '90 but hopefully I'm remembering everything correctly.
Thanks for the tip on the seal. My main concern is at least getting it to working order but if the newer seal still fits the 90 just fine then I might have to try it. As for the bearing, we approached it using the same processes to tap other bearings in an this one won't go any further. I've asked another group as well and they said that the bearing is as deep as it should go, but it is weird to be that it isn't flush like the others. Any more attempts at driving it in and it would almost feel like too much as the others didn't take that much effort.

Thanks
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

Just me but I'd pull the bearing, measure the race and bearing, reinstall.