new Lectron Billetron Pro Series fitment on KDX200 / KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

new Lectron Billetron Pro Series fitment on KDX200 / KDX220

Post by Chuck78 »

I've been running a Lectron 34mm power jet carb for 2.5 seasons (previous owner installed just before he decided to sell it due to 1st baby on the way), & I've been LOVING the improved atomization and fuel range / economy / mileage that these carbs deliver, as well as the excellent low end response. My 2nd KDX220 with this Lectron 34mm runs AWESOME, but I'm always looking to modify these KDX's even more, to make them even more viable against modern Euro 2-stroke woods bike.

The newest Lectron offering, the Billetron Pro, is leaps and bounds more advanced than any other carb option we have, hands down. The SmartCarb SC2 36mm works amazingly on KDX engines transplanted into KX125 etc. hybrid builds so I've been told, but SmartCarb and the chinese rider-owned company XTNG that make very similar carbs, both look likely to be a very tight and questionable fitment on a '95-'06 KDX frame due to the external metering rod adjustment on top and other external dimensions, and already being tight since they're closer to the length of a standard long body carb (78mm Billetron, 82.5mm SmartCarb SC2, 87mm XTNG Gen3, 91mm PWK35).

https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/billetron_38_pro_series

https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/billetron-proseries-38.html

Matt Denecke of Lectron Fuel Systems is an AWESOME guy, first off. Lectron previously had no fitment info for our bikes and said the Billetron Pro doesn't fit the KDX frame. Several KDX owners had speculated that the Billetron's modern short body form factor (+ mandatory Billetron long body adapter added to the airbox side bell) actually looked like it would fit our KDX's better than the older long body standard Lectron offerings.

Chatting with their new Lead Fuel Systems Engineer Matt Denecke, who also owns Apex Engineering and makes billet cylinder heads and other trick parts to keep Yamaha YZ 2-strokes alive and viable against modern European machines, he was eager to assist me in figuring out what issues we'd have fitting the KDX with the newest and by far the greatest incarnation of any Lectron metering rod carb.
Matt was the perfect guy to talk to, as he's very enthusiastic and dedicated to keeping older Japanese bikes like the YZ250 still viable machines, and same with his eagerness to help me figure out if we can work out fitment for the Billetron Pro Series onto the H-series KDX's and possibly the E-series as well (I have a buddy with an '89 I might try to test this on also).

I asked Matt if they had any way to 3D print a Billetron Pro body, or had any scrap/prototype bodies they could turn the inlet spigot down on a lathe to the PWK35 long body size. Next thing I know, an empty blem/scrap Billetron 1st gen body shows up in the mail!

I knew the carb body was very wide, and their engineering department advised that it will interfere with the KDX frame. Well, they modify the 34mm Lectron for our KDX's due to frame interference, let's see what we're dealing with here!

With the 46mm Billetron intake spigot turned down to the PWK35/33's 42mm o.d., I found that this fit my retired mostly stock '99 KDX220 rebuild project, although it doesn't quite rotate up to level left-right as the body was up against the lower rear head stay engine mount bolt and the body was angled from being level a bit, but still plenty good enough to call a fit. A little bit of material could be filed off the corner of the carb to be able to get it a bit closer to level.
Billetron Pro with stock OEM intake/reed cage
Billetron Pro with stock OEM intake/reed cage
BilletronPro-stock-99_220_intake.jpg (150.11 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

The GREAT NEWS is that on my '97 220, I found exactly what I suspected from my first test on the '99 220's stock intake - that the VForce3 reed cage and intake and the Boyeson RAD Valve reed cage/intake (that both make the 34mm standard Lectron a very poor fit that is NOT recommended), actually make these short body Billetron carbs fit BETTER than with the stock intake/reed cage!

Since the airbox to carb to engine path is angled from the outboard airbox connection & inward to the center intake on the engine, the further back you push the carb, the further away it gets from the head stay engine mount brackets and frame tabs! This is a huge win for us here...
Billetron Pro + VForce3 top view clearance
Billetron Pro + VForce3 top view clearance
BilletronPro-VForce3_KDX_top-view.jpg (118.11 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

The 45 degree angled corners on the top cover touch the frame's welded on headstay mounting tabs with the VForce3 or Boyesen RAD Valve, but with either of those, the carb is able to rotate a lot closer to level horizontally left & right than with the stock intake/reed cage, but still not quite vertical.
BilletronPro + VForce3 angled top view clearance
BilletronPro + VForce3 angled top view clearance
BilletronPro-VForce3_KDX_top-angled-view.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
one more clearance shot. I'll pull the top cover to see how much gasket surface we have to work with, and we very well may be able to shave this thing down with no harm to anything, after all, Lectron takes a LARGE amount of material off the side of the 34mm carb to clear the KDX better. I highlighted in my videos to them how they only really need to shave the top side and top cover edge within 8mm of the side corner though.
Billetron Pro + VForce3  top clearance to shock crossmember dimpled in area
Billetron Pro + VForce3 top clearance to shock crossmember dimpled in area
BilletronPro-VForce3_KDX_top-side-clearance.jpg (129.72 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
My Lectron 34mm is installed with the ill-advised VForce3 intake, and fits poorly and sits at a very noticeable angle, but it still RIPS, and works pretty awesome. This Billetron Pro fitment doesn't quite sit level as-is, but the angle is almost level within a few degrees and is very acceptable to me, and far closer to level than I've been running the Lectron 34mm.

I'll probably take the carb body to a metal working belt sander and shave some material off in the next few days to see how much better I can get this scrap test fitting body to work out, but even as-is, just running the VForce3 or Boyesen RAD Valve + Billetron long body adapter in the airbox bell, this will fit pretty darn good and give is the closest thing to fuel injection type performance that we'll get for our KDX's!

...to be continued
Attachments
Billetron Pro + VForce3 side view
Billetron Pro + VForce3 side view
BilletronProKDX1.jpg (206.65 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
Last edited by Chuck78 on 10:28 pm Jun 29 2023, edited 10 times in total.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: new Lectron Billetron Pro Series fitment on KDX200 / KDX220

Post by Chuck78 »

One other thing to note. This is a very wide carb body, and as you might notice from the first picture test fitting onto my '99, the tall awkard and not terribly popular stock KDX petcock isn't the best suited for this carb, as it's not even popular for those who are making jetting changes with the stock PWK carb on our bikes. I found that the popular Yamaha petcock upgrade from the '94-'97 WR250 (the short lived 2 stroke version WR250) / 2020-2022 YZ125X / 2016-2022 YZ250X with the bottom outlet (variant of same petcock also available with side outlet and used on KDX's) that sits up tight to the tank, this is a big improvement to installing a Billetron Pro Series onto our bikes as well, fuel hose routing will be better.
As a bonus, you won't suffer from the "surprise pressed-in fuel nipple leak" that the stock $80 KDX petcock is notorious for, and you get a far better fit and better quality petcock spending $40 for the OEM Yamaha petcock:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/BF1-24500-00-00

YZ125X / WR250 2-stroke / 2016+ YZ250X petcock with Billetron Pro and VForce3
YZ125X / WR250 2-stroke / 2016+ YZ250X petcock with Billetron Pro and VForce3
YZ125X_petcock-KDX220-Billetron_Pro-VForce3.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 6237 times
You can't tell so well from the picture in the first post, but the long towered low hanging side outlet stock KDX petcock that we have learned to loathe really doesn't leave room for a good path to route the fuel hose, although it can work for those not wanting to spend $40 + shipping for the Yamaha upgrade.
Last edited by Chuck78 on 12:38 am Jun 27 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

So with conventional thinking, my first thoughts were "Advertised as a 38mm carb? wow, that's an awesome carb, but almost all woods bikes run no larger than a 36mm carb, in order to give better throttle response." Bummer, as the fairly similar SmartCarb SC2 36 is a questionable fit our frames due to it still being a long-ish body style and with the adjustable metering rod knob sticking out the top, frame interference with that and the throttle cable are not looking to be a certainty.

Well I was still very interested in learning about how this carb could fit into my life, especially seeing as how advanced these things are, and also my buddy Mark way down in NZ runs the KX125 PWK38 Air Striker carb on his KDX220/KX125 hybrid and says it does fine on low end response... I second guessed him at first, especially with the stock 220 head.

Reading a review of the original Billetron fitted to a Beta 200RR, the owner was gushing on a forum about how much better low end response and power his Beta 200RR had with the Billetron "38" vs the newer revised stock OEM Beta PWK36 (Air Striker? not sure). This was very encouraging, since that bike is the same size engine as ours, and makes similar power as well...and ran the same size carb a lot of KDX owners have their PWK35/33 bored out to.

Then I saw a Beta 200RR review with someone running the Billetron Pro Series 38mm, and also saying throttle response down low was significantly improved over stock....

Also read of a guy stating that he has a Billetron Pro on his 2017-ish KTM 300 (didn't specify standard Billetron Pro or Billetron Pro Big Air (300cc-500cc and actually a "39mm" carb), saying it was a huge improvement over the stock KTM carb offering (Mikuni TMX that year?), and that it actually has as good of throttle response down low AND better high end rev-out than (wow, BIG SURPRISE!) his son's new KTM 300 XC TBI engine!

People have been saying that these Billetron Pro Series carbs make your engine perform similar to a fuel injected 2-stroke, and that was a reassuring review to hear this guy saying that he feels that it actually out-performs the latest greatest fuel injected 300 XC TBI engine that everyone goes nuts raving about... WOW!

The venturi/bore of these carbs is designed and shaped in a way to improve the airflow velocity under and beyond the slide (actually it funnels down to a lot closer to 34mm than the advertised 38!mm!), which tremendously helps out with improving the metering signal and subsequently improving the fuel atomization, as well as the short body carb format probably having less overall area/volume beyond the slide vs a long body 36mm carb, and add to that the latest innovations to their newest metering rod designs, and we have a pretty incredible amount of fuel delivery technology here at our fingertips with just turning the intake spigot of the carb down from the stock 46mm o.d. to the PWK35/KDX's 42mm o.d.

This carb also is Lectron's first to have THREE adjustable fuel metering circuits... the standard carb improved from the old school legacy Lectrons by adding a Power Jet external thumbscrew to add additional fueling at high RPM wide throttle openings, and the metering rods are highly adjustable by removing the top cover and slide and simply using their tool to turn the rod in small increments and then reset the position with the flat side to the rear, but now they have added a "torque screw" low throttle opening fueling circuit to these latest carbs...

Additionally, they now have an internal venting circuit so you not only have even better altitude compensation, but you also have a somewhat spill-proof design!

To say the least, I am ECSTATIC at Matt's willingness to help me out with this fitment quest, and also extremely pleased at how well they actually turned out to fit our bikes!

These things are NOT cheap, even more money than a standard Lectron offering for our bikes, but these certainly are the ULTIMATE that we could ask for.

In summary, Billetron Pro Series in bare aluminum finish (cheapest version) + Lectron Billetron long body bellmouth airbox adapter / extension, + Boyesen RAD Valve or Moto Tassinari VForce3 reed cage intake assembly, and preferably the Yamaha YZ125X etc petcock and we're in business with this thing!
Me rebuilding my flogged '99 220 with this very expensive carb + ported cylinder & modded head + Showa Twin Chamber fork & Showa 50mm late model shock upgrade is still far cheaper than buying a new Austrian brand bike ($10k), or my top choice, a new Beta 250RR Race Edition + aftermarket black plastics ($9k+)... I'd rather tinker with my cool retro purple and green machine and tweak & mod it, even if that involves purchasing a very expensive fancy modern billet carb...and a major fork upgrade, or even a ton of $ into titanium fasteners etc...still cheaper. If the performance is there, it's worth it.
Last edited by Chuck78 on 12:44 am Jun 29 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Unfortunately the forum crashed sometime early this morning due to some file corruption issue, and we lost all post data since early AM June 17th, including a more lengthy detailed version of this info. I saw I had at least two replies from MoonStomper and lucy, but I never got to see them. Hopefully you guys see this again and can re-post your comments.

***Also, I highly encourage users of this site to make donations to help cover the cost of hosting this web space, as this forum is a vast wealth of information on our bikes, and a very valuable resource and archive tool, far beyond the limited and cluttered capabilities of the Fakebook groups for KDX's. Any time I have any very usefel info, I always try and document it here in great detail. Please support this awesome resource if you're able to. I believe paypal donations can be sent to admin@kdxrider.net - check elsewhere here first.***

Here's also a few videos I shot of the fitment, as well as some on the Lectron 34mm fitment - mostly with the NOT-RECOMMENDED VForce3 + Lectron 34mm:

Last edited by Chuck78 on 12:44 am Jun 29 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

Sweet write up and thank you for helping better our bikes , because yeah can't afford those new bikes but I tell ya my bike is a running machine, it would be a hard sell.
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

REPOST-ish…

Before the board crashed, I just commented that this new Pro Billetron looks interesting since it apparently fits the KDX and has the choke correctly located. Nice to see they care about the KDX enough to do this. If mine didn’t run so darn good I’d buy one right now. Am curious if it would make mine run even better though!!! If I start taking trips up to Colorado like I want to, might get one then for sure!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

I would have been fine with the superb running Ron Black carbs or a well jetted PWK35 Air Striker, IF I'd never tried a Lectron or heard of the pros to running a metering rod carb, but the Lectron fuel atomization is just so much better than a needle jet / jet needle type carb...
Which results in a lot of fuel savings - so you get a lot better mileage range on a tank which is awesome for those all day gnarly / singletrack loops like the 70 mile Redbird Crest Trail 801 (which we have never completed the full loop in one day yet, just bits and pieces), or all day AMA "Dual Sport" singletrack rides that are 85+ miles here in Appalachian Southeastern Ohio.... This weekend's Baby Burr Dual Sport or the Copperhead National Dual Sport in a few weeks.

A Lectron + Clarke oversized tank for a long distance KDX... Bring a small canister of fuel in reserve and you might make it all day 👍
My MSR camp stove runs on gasoline, diesel, kerosene, or Coleman White Gas camp stove / lantern fuel. The largest of the fuel bottles I always bring on motorcycle trips just in case. MSR Whisperlite backpacking stove. I'd recommend the slightly larger compact stove version for better flame modulation when cooking though, it's called the Dragonfly. Same MSR fuel bottles. Mountain Safety Research? Not to be confused with Malcolm Smith Racing...
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

I think the benefits of this Billetron Pro will be significantly more noticeable over the standard Lectron power jet carb, and not just because it adds basically an adjustable pilot circuit (they call it a torque yet). New slide design, carb bore / venturi design alterations to increase air velocity, newly redesigned metering rod profiles for even better atomization of fuel droplets...and a short body - making for less air volume after the slide which will make it respond more like a smaller carb, and we will never be left wondering if we are limited on airflow on the top end of the rev range...

I think I'll be running my ported 220 cylinder with this one to benefit most from the increased flow and velocity.
My worn out '99 220 cylinder + head with some slight marks from blowing up my first 220's stock cast piston, I think I'll be sending those out to Eric Gorr for porting and replating. Hopefully the damaged / scored cylinder can be plated back to stock bore so I can run Wossner forged pistons with their coated skirts and A/B/C 69.00/69.01/69.02mm "standard bore" sizing options. My other spare cylinder is bored to 70mm so I'm stuck with Wiseco on that oversize.

I'm incredibly excited about this prospect....
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Matt from Lectron got back to me this evening after speaking with his boss. When I say the word they're ready to machine a Billetron Pro down to 42mm o.d. intake spigot diameter same as our PWK35's, and Matt said he would go above and beyond and put it on a KX250 and do some Dyno runs try and get it dialed in closer for my KDX220... Not sure how close he could get it on a different model of engine, but he's more of an authority on Lectron specs than me, after all he is the lead fuel systems engineer at Lectron...

Anybody here in the Texas area with a KDX 220 and Gnarly Desert pipe or Pro Circuit pipe that could take theirs in to Lectron for Dyno testing instead of their 250?!?!? 😂
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice! Keep us informed.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

So I measured my 34mm Lectron, and as best as I can tell, its 34mm on the spigot i.d. at the exit of the carb. On my PWK33, it's 33mm at the slide area, but actually a bit over 34mm i.d. on the outlet of the spigot. Measuring this Lectron Billetron, it looks like a hair over 34.2mm at the slide area of the carb bore, and 37.6mm i.d. at the exit of the spigot. This could have a bit to explain as to why the "38mm" carb is more responsive than late model PWK36 short body carbs on Beta 200RR's, as well as the metering rod technology being superior to needle jet / jet needle carb designs.

It looks like the Boyesen RAD Valve isn't quite as long as the Moto Tassinari V-Force3, but the RAD Valve is all aluminum with a simpler carb connection, just a big rubber/neoprene/viton band around the carb aluminum spigot and the RAD Valve aluminum spigot. The RAD valve could be port matched a bit better due to being aluminum, and the ribbing on the rubber is larger i.d. so it should be best. I might swap a conical/tapered socket head M8-1.25x45 Titanium engine mount bolt in place of the lower rear head stay bolt, just to gain clearance there from the corner of the carb so that less carb massaging will be required, The adacent 45 degree corner to that bolt head will definitely get a bit of shaving if we want the carb to sit perfectly vertical though.

I just took some more detailed measurements for Lectron to get them to machine the spigot and the long body bell adapter down to proper size to fit our KDX's connections.

I hope to have one of these masterpieces in my hands in less than 2 weeks!
Last edited by Chuck78 on 12:47 am Jun 29 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Out of curiosity, I mocked up what the uncut stock Billetron Pro Series carb would do as far as fitment without alterations, into the aftermarket reed cage intakes for our PWK35/33 bikes, as well as the airbox.

With a little bit of lubrication and twisting, I was able to wrestle these 46mm & 62mm bearing press sleeves into the 42mm i.d. Boyesen RAD Valve & Moto Tassinari VForce3, & the 59mm KDX airbox boot...

IMG_20230627_230438.jpg
IMG_20230627_230438.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 5994 times
IMG_20230627_231434.jpg
IMG_20230627_231434.jpg (4.25 MiB) Viewed 5994 times

Granted these were all a very tight fit, and will require a bit of wrestling + larger hose clamps, but this shows that the Billetron Pro Series carbs will actually fit our bikes directly with little or no alterations if one decides to go that route.

The Boyesen RAD Valve may be my preferred fit for these for multiple reasons, particularly if not having the spigot turned down from 46mm to 42mm.

IMG_20230628_001243.jpg
IMG_20230628_001243.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 5994 times

I'd still probably change out the lower rear out of the three head stay engine mount bolts with something with a button head or conical tapered socket pad for more clearance, and file down bit two 45° angle corners of the carb top cover gasket area on the inside right side of the carb vs frame contact points.

This is pretty great news for fitting these pricey modern advanced billet carburetors that are the closest thing to fuel injection performance that we'll ever get.

Although I still would recommend having the outside diameters of the long body adapter and the spigot turned down for ease of installation.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Also, I used some photos and dimensional drawings of the other two viable metering rod carbs on the market, the Smart Carb SC2 36 and the XTNG Gen3, to calculate some unlisted dimensions to look into potential to fit a 95-06 KDX.
XTNG assisted since I was trying to scale off of a photo, and measured for me from the face of the intake boot, the edge of the carb body, back to the rear of the slide tower.

It appears that both of these carbs, since they are similar with externally adjustable metering rods with thumbscrew on top, have larger slide towers front to rear, and cable exiting right rear of the slide tower, that the cables in particular appear to be in a position where at minimum they would be jammed against our frame cross members, if not completely interfering with them. I wouldn't say these are not able to be ran, but the odds do not look so good.

img_1_1687914250390.jpg
img_1_1687914250390.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Screenshot_20230627-102428~2.png
Screenshot_20230627-102428~2.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
Screenshot_20230627-221350.png
Screenshot_20230627-221350.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5992 times
Screenshot_20230627-220946.png
Screenshot_20230627-220946.png (304.58 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Screenshot_20230627-220839.png
Screenshot_20230627-220839.png (296.38 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Even though the Billetron Pro Series are a very wide carb body, they are significantly more compact length and height vs the others on the market.

Billetron Pro Series without the long body adapter figured in (as it's airbox diameter, no clearance issues there) is 78mm front to rear.

SmartCarb SC2 36 is 82.5mm.

XTNG Gen 3 are 87mm.

PWK35/ PWK33 are 91mm but shorter and no clearance issues.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Photo from above with VForce3 reed assembly intake pushing carb rearward & out of way of hex head engine mount headstay lowrr rear bolt;

(You could run a lower profile button head bolt in place of the 12mm hex for better clearance if running stock Kawasaki OEM intake and reed cage, otherwise carb top will contact boot head as in my 1st mockup photo above. This photo shows extra clearance gained by using VForce3 reed assembly)

I just shaved the corner of the top cover and carb body slightly on the scrap test fit Billetron body, to get it to rotate closer to vertical in relation to contact point with the 45° corner of the Billetron's top cover to the frame crossmember upper engine mount bracket.
It really didn't fit bad before when that corner was limiting the rotation to vertical, and it fits slightly better now (within 1.2° of sitting perfectly horizontal L-R), after shaving some material off the corner without really compromising the narrowest gasket surface location on the top cover.

IMG_20230628_233216~2.jpg
IMG_20230628_233216~2.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 5935 times

IMG_20230628_234357~2.jpg
IMG_20230628_234357~2.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 5935 times
IMG_20230628_235252.jpg
IMG_20230628_235252.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 5935 times
IMG_20230628_235558.jpg
IMG_20230628_235558.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 5935 times

Afterwards, I decided to take my old Lectron 34 mm that was hanging here this whole time, and stuff it back in.
WOW, it looks a lot smaller (more slender) vs the Billetron on overall appearance, until you get it in place and realize it's significantly longer front to rear and significantly taller. I would have to say the Billetron fits SIGNIFICANTLY better. I'd even prefer to run an unmodified Billetron Pro Series, stock uncut dimensions larger than the PWK35 spigot & bell, stuffing it into the airbox & a Boyesen RAD Valve intake coupler, vs the 34mm! Really contacts the frame pretty strongly even after Lectron buzzes the offending corner off and shaves down the ribs on the top cover... And of course the old versions have choke on the wrong side for most, directly under the engine mount but "sorta accessible." I did see that they sell a remote choke that replaces the choke handle/knob, and is approximately a 5" or 6" cable.

I haven't had to take this carb off but 3 times - for 2 metering rod adjustments, and once when mixing different pre-mix oils and then letting bike sit for a month, the float needle got really sticky from the oils after the gas evaporated and was stuck closed and bike would not start....
I've not had any other metering rod carbs or other non-stock carbs on these bikes to judge the fitment of. But WOW, I still really really like the performance this 34mm Legacy / Power Jet Lectron even though it is quite a tight fit!
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

The real deal finished Lectron Billetron Pro Series product arrived 6 hours after I had packed up and left for AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Festival, so I had my neighbor grab the $$$ package on my porch, & didn't get it from him for 10 days. Then life got in the way, & I was hesitant to rush putting it on with no time to tune before the last two big rides.

The night before the last ride, I discovered that you need a 90°, 70°, or 45° elbow cable guide / cable adjuster for the top of the carb most likely. They shipped mine out with no cable adjuster or cable guide, but it appears we will need one of the short radius metal elbows with threads on the carb side and an adjuster on the top side to receive the cable housing termination fitting. This might necessitate a KX125/KX250 cable from a PWK36/PWK38 carb application if the stock KDX cable doesn't have enough cable length to add the adjuster, as I'd assume those cables are slightly longer from fitting a taller carb.

I have 2 different 90° cable guides that just arrived tonight. The 45° & 40° versions are a lot more common in the USA though, & they may work better due to being more likely to fit the stock cable length. The Sudco 45° cable adjuster guide elbow may be best, but I also see a lot more of the 40° versions. I'd think 40° would be cutting it close to the tank, but perhaps not.
90° cable adjusters
90° cable adjusters
Screenshot_20230824-225931~2.png (1.76 MiB) Viewed 5460 times
I'll report back soon.

I'll also be reporting back to Matt @ Lectron to make sure he knows of this.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

FYI I also needed one of those little brass adapters to go from carb side vertical slender cable end on the KX and KDX, to the larger horizontal cylindrical cable end barrel.
The KDX cable was a bit too short for the Motion Pro throttle I have, but I can compare to my broken stock throttle housing to see if it accomodates any shorter of a cable. I also ordered the short 45° Sudco cable adjuster guide see if it would allow use of the original KDX cable (this may be the ticket especially with OEM KDX throttle/throttle tube assembly)
Some aftermarket Honda CR cables with a 70° or 90° elbow on the end might be just the ticket, but the OEM Honda CR versions and Motion Pro versions do not have the 90° steel elbow on the end unfortunately. These have the larger horizontal barrel cable end as well, no adapter fitting. I'm a little cautious on running $12 Chinese cables though, but may buy one in the name of research. Worst case I send it to Barnett or photograph and measure it thoroughly and have Barnett make a high quality version.

There are 3 different KX 2-stroke cables throughout the modern eras of water cooled disc brake bikes which are all pretty similar, but I believe the 1996 or so may do the job the best. I'll probably order up one of these today as well.
The longer of the 90° elbows pictured above from last night's post is nicer in that it has a teflon liner sleeve in it, but the cable end does not fit through the liner. I may pull the liner out and heat it up and try to slide the cable end through and then put it back through the guide, but I'm not sure that will work out successfully.

I have yet to contact Lectron about this, but they may likely have a recommendation on an exact cable that would fit, may sell one, or worst case Barnett could also custom make the exact cable we'd need. A $65 custom cable is not necessary though when we can just use a $4 cable guide, $5 and fitting, and an OEM KDX or '96 KX cable, or aftermarket $13 1990's Honda CR cable with elbow included.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Thanks for the update! Going to be looking at getting mine installed this weekend. Gotta get the 45* for the top and will see if that stock cable works.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Kevbot wrote: 11:48 am Aug 25 2023 Thanks for the update! Going to be looking at getting mine installed this weekend. Gotta get the 45* for the top and will see if that stock cable works.
Niche Supply on ebay is the seller of the 45° cable guide that I ordered yesterday.
Long 12hr day at work today so I did not get to place an order for a 1996 KX cable or 1996 Honda CR Chinese cable with the 90° elbow built in. Will probably order those in the name of science...
No one seemed to notice the teaser that I snuck in above yet 😂
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385450034900

Screenshot_20230825-225951.png
Screenshot_20230825-225951.png (930.39 KiB) Viewed 5422 times

I ordered one of these, you can buy them aftermarket and I'm sure there are several different part numbers from the various manufacturers for basically the same cable adapter to go from the skinny vertical cable end to the larger horizontal cylindrical cable end with this brass adapter.
This part number fits 1970s Kawasaki bikes but I'm pretty sure this is the same standard cable adapter piece that we would need to run the KDX or KX cables.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup