slipping shift lever

Got questions? We got answers....
JWP2

slipping shift lever

Post by JWP2 »

I have a 93 kdx 200 e series and I keep stripping out shift levers. I have gone through 2 IMS steel shifters, they slip out till they only contact one set of splines then strip. I don't ride very hard and the splines on the bike are fine. any tips? I am thinking drilling and taping for a bigger bolt might help to stop them from slipping out.
kdxdazz

Re: slipping shift lever

Post by kdxdazz »

I don't have any experience with ims levers but I can tell you it's important to make sure the splines on the shaft are spotlessly clean and that doesn't mean just wipe them with a rag, you must get a sharp objective like a steel dental pick and remove all dirt from the grooves
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The only way this can happen if the splines are in good shape is that you aren't tightening them enough, the bolt is loosening after some use, or a manufacturing defect in the shifter itself. Is there still some gap in the split on the shifter that the bolt tightens down to clamp on the shaft?

Anyway, it's probably loosening up on you. I would add some blue loctite to the bolt, torque to factory spec, and let sit for 24 hours before using. Check that there is zero play on the shaft after each ride. If there is, re-torque it again and keep checking after every single ride.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JWP2

Post by JWP2 »

thanks, I will make sure the shaft is very clean, and keep it tight.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

TWSS
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128