small gear removal question

Got questions? We got answers....
Jraldi

small gear removal question

Post by Jraldi »

I know this is probably covered somewhere but I can't find it... So I suspect that my KIPS ball and spring might be stuck or perhaps missing? My question is how does the 10mm nut get removed? When I try to loosen it, it starts to click over kinda like a ratchet, I didn't want to force it until I know more..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: small gear removal question

Post by SS109 »

If you're talking about the 10mm nut on the KIPS rod coming out of the side cover, it is left hand thread and if you don't support the shaft while breaking it loose, or tightening it, you will break/bend the KIPS governor pin. If it sounds like a ratchet now then I would say there has been damage done.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jraldi

Post by Jraldi »

This is the nut that is there when the slotted plastic disk on the left side is removed. It's the same gear in the videos everyone looks at to see if their KIPS opens up at certain RPMs, I thought that's where the ball & spring was located?? I have a 2003 if that matters?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Ok, I was thinking of a different location. The little detent ball and spring won't really affect the operation of the KIPS system. I believe it to be more of an anti-rattle/anti-flutter feature than anything else.

So we're on the left side of the bike under the metal KIPS cover, correct? If it is clicking then that means the teeth are sliding over the teeth on the KIPSS rod which is not good. Sounds like to me either the teeth on the subvalve are stripped somewhat, or the guide bushing at the top is severely worn, or a combo of both.

Probably going to need to do more disassembly to be able to get that nut loose. Pull the right side KIPS cover so that you can hold the shaft from the other side to break it loose and it is a standard thread, righty tighty, lefty loosy. That said, I would probably be pulling the cylinder head to inspect that upper bushing and the subvalve itself as something is definitely wrong.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jraldi

Post by Jraldi »

NP, I appreciate you chiming in. So I found a thread that covered it.. I was under the impression the spring and detent was inside the slotted plastic cover but turns out it's the bolt beneath the slotted cover.