Transmission oil level question h model

Got questions? We got answers....
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Transmission oil level question h model

Post by JZ05220r »

When I lean the bike to the left almost touching the ground and bring the bike back up level and wait, I check and see the transmission level is lower than when I do the same thing but leaning to the right. I don’t understand why it’s not evening out. Their is a transfer hole way below the window for oil to flow freely and evenly between the trans cavity and oil below the side cover. Am I missing something? I want to make sure this isn’t throwing me off into believing I’m losing trans fluid. Bike runs bad regardless and it’s NOT jetting. Thanks
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Transmission oil level question h model

Post by bufftester »

There is a passageway, but its not huge, and there are a lot of gears and stuff on the left side. If you wait long enough it will even out. Does the bike smoke white and smell like burning oil? Most leak issues are through the main seals which pulls oil into the bottom of the cylinder where it then burns with the fuel charge. Less likely is a bad mechanical seal on the water pump, but that usually results in milky transmission oil, not a loss of it. The only way to know is a leak down check.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Yes always check the oil level while the bike is level, after it has sat for awhile.
'00 KDX 220R
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

bufftester wrote: 08:25 pm Apr 26 2023 There is a passageway, but its not huge, and there are a lot of gears and stuff on the left side. If you wait long enough it will even out. Does the bike smoke white and smell like burning oil? Most leak issues are through the main seals which pulls oil into the bottom of the cylinder where it then burns with the fuel charge. Less likely is a bad mechanical seal on the water pump, but that usually results in milky transmission oil, not a loss of it. The only way to know is a leak down check.
It does smoke some but it’s not white, it’s blue. One thing i noticed is the 220 has a slightly different smell than my 91 although I am running Spectro golden in both bikes. That’s most likely normal though. Out of curiosity I have anothet question. We all know 2 strokes tend to foul spark plugs, is their an opposite scenario to fouling a spark plug/can running lean/hot cause a plug to act up? Thanks
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

Slick_Nick wrote: 10:43 am Apr 27 2023 Yes always check the oil level while the bike is level, after it has sat for awhile.
Ok thanks. I’ll try to log the oil level and see if it changes. I may be getting confused because of the oil level evening out extremely slow.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Please don't believe the old wives tail that two stroke plugs foul with regularity. They only foul plugs when a bike is in poor running condition and/or the jetting is way too rich.

Ok, to answer your question, yes, a lean condition can make a plug run too hot causing pre-detonation. You can see this on the plug as it tends to leave little specs on the insulator. If it gets real bad you will see much more obvious damage as no center electrode, cracked/missing insulator around center electrode, and/or melted ground strap.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

SS109 wrote: 02:23 am Apr 28 2023 Please don't believe the old wives tail that two stroke plugs foul with regularity. They only foul plugs when a bike is in poor running condition and/or the jetting is way too rich.

Ok, to answer your question, yes, a lean condition can make a plug run too hot causing pre-detonation. You can see this on the plug as it tends to leave little specs on the insulator. If it gets real bad you will see much more obvious damage as no center electrode, cracked/missing insulator around center electrode, and/or melted ground strap.
Even a hole in the piston! Ask me how I know.
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

SS109 wrote: 02:23 am Apr 28 2023 Please don't believe the old wives tail that two stroke plugs foul with regularity. They only foul plugs when a bike is in poor running condition and/or the jetting is way too rich.

Ok thanks, do you see anything wrong with this plug? Looks like the center electrode is misshaped to me.
Attachments
199D41BD-2D5D-474A-8140-83A348FCDA89.jpeg
199D41BD-2D5D-474A-8140-83A348FCDA89.jpeg (629.57 KiB) Viewed 661 times
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If that plug has been in a the bike even a couple hours, it should be having some color to the top and middle. A coffee with creamer color or chocolate milk color is good.
That plug looks lean 0-1/4 throttle (top of plug) and lean 1/4 - 3/4 throttle (middle of the plug) and too rich on the “main jet”. I know you’re using a lectron that’s why I didn’t say pilot and needle.

You still haven’t done the leak down test yet? It’s quick to do and at least then you’ll know if you have a problem or not. I’d say especially for your engine and the previous problems, it should be the first thing on the list. It should not foul plugs ever.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

John_S wrote: 11:30 pm Apr 28 2023 If that plug has been in a the bike even a couple hours, it should be having some color to the top and middle. A coffee with creamer color or chocolate milk color is good.
That plug looks lean 0-1/4 throttle (top of plug) and lean 1/4 - 3/4 throttle (middle of the plug) and too rich on the “main jet”. I know you’re using a lectron that’s why I didn’t say pilot and needle.

You still haven’t done the leak down test yet? It’s quick to do and at least then you’ll know if you have a problem or not. I’d say especially for your engine and the previous problems, it should be the first thing on the list. It should not foul plugs ever.
I 100% agree! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

John_S wrote: 11:30 pm Apr 28 2023 If that plug has been in a the bike even a couple hours, it should be having some color to the top and middle. A coffee with creamer color or chocolate milk color is good.

I haven’t gotten to it but I will definitely use my day off work to do it.
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

Ok leak down test results show a loss of alittle less than 1psi after 5 minutes with an initial pressure of 5 psi and/or a loss of about 1psi in 10 minutes with an initial pressure of 5 psi. This is after I found the kips retention spring bolt was leaking a lot and tightened it to stop the leak. It’s a very significant drop if I loosen that bolt. Can’t find any other leaks but I will look again tomorrow as I have it all hooked up still. But not too bad huh?
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

Found the tester leaked at the t connector. I sealed that up and I didn’t see any significant loss of pressure within 9 minutes with an initial pressure of 5 psi. It was pretty much exactly where it started after that time. I’m going to throw everything back together. Just waiting on a new o ring for the kips inspection cover as that also leaked at first. As for the loss of transmission fluid, I wonder if the transmission level I started (just a hair over the window) with just needed to equal out between the trans and clutch side by running the engine. I wonder if the leaks I described were enough to lean things out a bunch making it run bad. I will continue to monitor the level as I put more time on it.