Idle screw all the way in-Air Striker PWK35

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Idle screw all the way in-Air Striker PWK35

Post by firsthere »

Replaced the stock carb a few years back with an air striker. Big improvement. However the Idle screw is almost all the way in. Both carbs need(ed) the 35 pilot, roughly 2-1/2 turns out. I think the slide height is overriding the idle circuit (thru the needle circuit) thus the lean pilot jet. The slide is a 4.5 with DEK needle. Stock was setup with a 5 with CEL and 35 pilot.

My question is would a different slide cutaway bring the idle screw and the pilot jet back to a more normal centralized setting. What slide are others A.S. carbs owners using?

Bike is temperamental to the daily weather and elevation changes. It has a surge coming off 2-3000 RPMs otherwise runs clean up into the powerband hit. Pipe is A PC II, stock reeds, air box lid off. Compression and leak down are good. 2004 KDX 200. 4000' elev.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Idle screw all the way in-Air Striker PWK35

Post by John_S »

Yes a different # slide will affect the pilot, air screw, and idle screw.
I have a 35 air striker 4.5 slide and the jetting was 40 pilot, 1.5 on the air screw and probably about 1.5 turns out on the idle screw also, with the needle in the second clip. I installed a #7 slide and needed to go to a 48 pilot, 1.25 on the air screw and the third clip on the needle. The idle screw is about another whole turn out from where it was before. For my bike there really is no improvement in the way it runs, it just takes richer settings. I do like that my slide is almost all the way down and both the idle and air screw are very reactive.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Idle screw all the way in-Air Striker PWK35

Post by firsthere »

If going thru the motions to re-jet would clean up the oily exhaust splooge it might be worth it. Looking for a source currently, any help here?