New OEM clutch springs

Got questions? We got answers....
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New OEM clutch springs

Post by DonnyV »

Hey guys so during my bottom end rebuild at the beginning of the year I got to the clutch and was checking measurements, my friction plates were almost out of spec, steel plates were good but the springs were barely out of spec. Finally got the extra money to get new OEM friction, steels and springs. I ordered 8 friction,7 steels and 4 springs (they sent me 6). Well I wanted to measure new parts to write down the numbers for later, frictions measured very close to standard from the book but the springs measured no where close to standard, standard being 38.7mm, service limit being 37.2mm, new springs measured 37.39 to 37.41. Is this something I should be concerned with? There within spec so I'll run them but just thought I'd ask. Thanks guys
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod
o/d
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: New OEM clutch springs

Post by o/d »

you'll be fine.
i did a rebuild of my kdx when i bought it and ran across a similar issue.

my springs were slightly below min. spec., so i bought some EBC springs.
the EBC springs were much stronger, so much so i was afraid of torquing them down and was also concerned about a heavy clutch pull @ lever.

i ran the old oem springs and have no slippage to date after approx. 1200 miles & clutch is easy to pull
'02 kdx220, '01 drz470e/sm, '04 drz434s, '02 fxst, '80 kz750
penniar

Post by penniar »

Same thing happened to me last year. Did a full rebuild on my '98 200 and both the old and new oem springs measured below spec. I have tried EBC springs before and the pull at the lever was crazy hard. I have the cyclepedia manual and just figured they got the spec wrong. Haven't had any trouble with either the old or new springs.
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

Yeah I have the factory manual but I also think the spec might be wrong because a lot of people throw the old ones back in and have no issues
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod