Is it worth it

Got questions? We got answers....
soup-n-sandwich

Is it worth it

Post by soup-n-sandwich »

Hi guys,
I'm working on obtaining a H series KDX for racing in scrambles and enduros. I had two in the past and was considering getting another but I'm concerned about parts and accessory availability. The very last KDX made (2006) is 16 years old this year. I have found that things are limited when it comes to graphic packages, plastic choice, etc.

This is the direction I wanted to go in but does it make sence? I've consider converting a 2006-2008 Yam. YZ250 for this enduro/scrambles. There is endless parts and accessories for these bikes but the conversion process is going to be an epic adventure and expensive.

Then I was thinking when it comes to certain accessories like graphic packages what if I knew what KX models were similar to the H Series KDX and use that.
Does anyone know what year KX models are similar to the H series KDX plastics and graphic layout?

Thanks!
Soup
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it worth it

Post by MoonStomper »

If you’re worried about graphics just go to Cormoto.com and work with Matt. He can do something custom or copy OEM if you prefer. He can also do a graphic for the Maier rear moto fender we use. Also, I’ve never had trouble getting the UFO plastics for my H model. They fit well and look really good. Fredette still has most everything for these. Just call him as his website isn’t displaying all parts that he actually has.

I love my bike for the hare scrambles, it rips!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You mentioned graphics and plastic. Have you looked into various special OEM only parts, suspension, engine, etc?

If you want to get serious and have a stockpile of parts on hand, then break out the wallet whether you go green or blue. Racing ain't cheap.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep, any good place can do graphics for a KDX. I like Motocal and they do 100% custom on the graphics and different material choices. Plastics are a bit more expensive but available. The only parts that really aren't available new are the OEM crank, transmission shafts, engine cases, and other hard parts like that. I have no worries tracking down parts for any 95+ KDX.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
soup-n-sandwich

MoonStomper wrote: 04:40 pm Jul 09 2022 If you’re worried about graphics just go to Cormoto.com and work with Matt.
Thanks man! Hey that URL doesn't work. Is it a type error?
SS109 wrote: 08:21 am Jul 10 2022 Yep, any good place can do graphics for a KDX. I like Motocal and they do 100% custom on the graphics and different material choices. Plastics are a bit more expensive but available. The only parts that really aren't available new are the OEM crank, transmission shafts, engine cases, and other hard parts like that. I have no worries tracking down parts for any 95+ KDX.
Wow thanks! Motocal is actually amazing!
In regards to the plastics; I would like to use black plastics rather than green but this is limited too if not impossible to find. The graphic I'm designing would work better on black than green. I would like to use the moto rear fender as well as the stock fender seems to date the bike quite a bit. Thank you.
KDXGarage wrote: 07:38 pm Jul 09 2022 You mentioned graphics and plastic. Have you looked into various special OEM only parts, suspension, engine, etc?

If you want to get serious and have a stockpile of parts on hand, then break out the wallet whether you go green or blue. Racing ain't cheap.
Oh yeah I understand racing is expensive! Thanks for the warning though.
When you say "various special OEM only parts, suspension, engine, etc" what do you mean exactly?
I'm planning on swapping out the stock fork with an inverted Showa or KYB unit off a modern KX250F or similar but I haven't looked too deeply yet into bottom end engine parts. I've been told by some (not on this forum) that some parts are not possible to get from Kawa anymore. I would expect this after all this time. So when is Kaw going to re-release a modern KDX?!

You know guys the KDX...especially the H series is so popular but doesn't get much respect from the racing community. Other than the wheelbase being a tad shorter than most of the "modern" bikes I alwas felt the chassis was as good as anything out there. Sure the engine and suspension could use a little boost in performance. I don't know.

Has anyone compared the H series KDX to any of the KX models to see how similar they might be in any particular year/model? Does this exist or is the KDX more or less unique to itself?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look to see what shows as not available and factor that into your decision.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... -kdx200-h7

Go ride a YZ250X and as many other bikes as you can. Make a well informed choice.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

CorMoto… https://cormotographics.com/

That should work /\ /\ /\

Fredette Racing Products is a great parts resource for the KDX, Jeff’s a KDX legend and super helpful…
https://www.frpoffroad.com/

His website shows some of his stock, but not nearly everything. Best thing to do is call him in the mornings with a list of what you need. He’s great at answering questions and can also do custom service work on heads and suspensions, plus plus plus. He’s still heavily involved with supporting the USA ISDE Team, so if he doesn’t get back to you immediately just be patient and keep trying.

I used Motocal to design my graphics then had Cormoto print the actual graphics just because they support our hare scramble race series here in Virginia.

As far as success racing this bike…
I just started in racing hare scrambles in C last year. I was a successful mountain bike racer for twenty years before that. In my first season I improved a lot, worked really hard at it. Got some podiums and a hole shot. Finished 4th in the series and then moved up to B this year so I could race the same event as my son. I’m told by my suspension guru that this bike requires more skill and strength to ride fast than the newer bikes. The modern geometry, lighter weight, and longer wheel base of the newer bikes is an advantage in a lot of places… HOWEVER the KDX can make enough power and is good enough in the right hands to beat everything out there in the tight woods.

Mine was raced last year by a talented young 250A class kid [with a broken power valve - we didn’t know!) in the main event and finished in the top ten of the overall of a 130 racers. His Husqy 300 bike was broke and I loaned it to him so he could earn points, he went on and won the championship.

That day I rode the morning event and finished 3rd in 50+C and it needed a top end, it was fouling plugs at the start and I was pissed. I missed the start changing a plug, but ended up having a great day. The bike didn’t have the desert pipe that’s on it now or the cylinder porting (that he did for me), or the RADvalve, or Fredette’s carb jetting, but it was on the stock forks that we put a Belgian valve job into (like RaceTech Gold valves but a little different). I love these forks, to me they feel better than anything else in the woods that I’ve ridden. They just don’t beat me up and I’ve raced 6hours on them feeling like I could pull another lap if I had to. Maybe not the greatest for motocross, but for woods they suit me fine.

Anyways I’m still learning and improving some, racing in B has been a lot of fun and I’ve gotten some results and another hole shot. Putting the shorter kicker on helps that.
A3BC20C4-42C4-4FC3-831B-CEAFCE4BF103.jpeg
A3BC20C4-42C4-4FC3-831B-CEAFCE4BF103.jpeg (429.5 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
soup-n-sandwich

KDXGarage wrote: 04:55 pm Jul 10 2022 Look to see what shows as not available and factor that into your decision.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... -kdx200-h7

Go ride a YZ250X and as many other bikes as you can. Make a well informed choice.
Thanks you. I'll take a look. I looked and looked for well over a year about what to buy. My first bike I considered was the YZ250X. The more I dug into it the more I realized that Yam. made the bike for cross country and didn't really design it for tight New England woods/enduros. With nearly the same bike as the MX bike, with little changes for offroad and seeing all the tests of the bike I started second guessing it. A five speed transmission with 3rd and 4th wider than the MX transmission and a 18 inch rear wheel...no lighting coil or lights for enduro I kept getting further and further away from it. I really do what a 2 stroke. Transforming a 2006+ YZ250 to a true off road bike would take a TON of money and time and lots of experimentation to get right so I don't feel this is the way to go either. This hasn't been easy so far!
MoonStomper wrote: 06:59 pm Jul 10 2022 I’m told by my suspension guru that this bike requires more skill and strength to ride fast than the newer bikes. The modern geometry, lighter weight, and longer wheel base of the newer bikes is an advantage in a lot of places… HOWEVER the KDX can make enough power and is good enough in the right hands to beat everything out there in the tight woods.
Thanks for taking the time to write this. Very helpful. It's nice to hear that an A rider can take this bike and be competitive with it and that you went from a C to a B rider in a single season on a KDX! I'm the kind of guy that doesn't buy into the hype or blindly follow what others are saying. I have to do the research and test myself to see if I agree with the KDX being at a true disadvantage. On the other hand I don't want to start riding again after nearly 20 years and feel like I"m starting out behind the eight ball. Even in the day the KDX was still in production it had a steeper head angle/rake and smaller wheelbase than most other bikes of the era. If I recall the wheel base was about 2 inches smaller than most of those bikes. I compared the KDX geometry a while back to the Yams 250X and some MX bikes. It seems consistent that its different than most other bikes.

So what to do about it...hmm Honestly I don't see what people are talking about by a "Modern" bike being so much better than the other bikes when it comes to similar platforms. I seem to recall looking into this a long time ago. Compared the KDXs geometry to enduro bikes in the 1995 to 2006 era. I don't see a lot of difference if any between those older bikes to the newer bikes in terms of their geometry. I must be missing something I guess. The KDX has always has a steeper rake angle and smaller wheelbase than other enduro bikes of its age.

Is the answer to take a KDX engine and stick it into a KX frame? I felt good about going with the KDX but I'm getting a bit apprehensive. I mean is your suspension guru just saying what others are saying...just to say it or can this thought be backed up. If the bike truly does take more skill and strength to go fast on then I would be starting off at a disadvantage already. The thing is, if this is true why are so many of you still riding KDXs?
THanks guys! I appreciate all of this conversation and help!
Last edited by soup-n-sandwich on 10:50 am Jul 26 2022, edited 1 time in total.
soup-n-sandwich

I've been going over this again and again in my skull. I'm gong nuts here.
Cost and effort wise it's doesn't seem worth placing the KDX motor into a KX unless you get both of them for really great price. Even if you do there is likely a lot of fabrication and time tweakin...lots of time. If you had the KX your trying to fit an engine that will almost definitely not line up with motor mounts and who knows what else. Then the suspension would have to be valved and re-sprung....the rear wheel would have to be swapped out with an 18" one...all the electrics would have to be swapped form the KDX to the KX. Lots of work. Work I don't mind doing if I knew it would truly be better but I haven't ridden any KX in the woods. The likelihood that I'd be able to ride on in the woods that has it's suspension at least setup for off-road and not MX would be rare, never-mind my weight (145lbs).

From what I can see the rake/trail measurements seem like the determining factor when it comes to the handling benefit of a "modern" enduro bike. The wheel base on the KDX is about 2.25" (average) shorter than most other modern enduro/off road bikes but this shorter wheel base is the direct result of a steeper rake/trail angle I would think. Has anyone modified the frame steering angle?

I'll be honest; I do recall when I had both of my KDX in muddy, rooty slimy New England single track to be a bit of a handful. It was difficult for me to keep it tracking and I found the fount end "tucked" despite the suspension being setup for me. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing!!!

What if the frame was placed on a jig and the steering angle was increased to match the Beta 200RR or Yam YZ250X?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Don't screw with the rake and trail. The KDX handles just fine the way it is. The KDX chassis is extremely hard to beat in tight woods racing. The only place modern bikes, with their longer frames, really have an advantage is in high speed sections. Of course, the KDX wasn't built for high speed stuff so you really can't blame it there. Just a change to USD forks can get the stock framed KDX to handle the high speeds better but it will never be as good with the shorter wheelbase.

I will say, that tuner guy saying you need to have more skill to ride a KDX effectively is full of crap. I've ridden dozens of newer bikes, GasGas (pre and post KTM), Sherco, Husqvarna (pre and post KTM), Beta, KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki... well, you get the idea. Guess what? I was the same speed on all of them except I got more top speed because most of them were 250/300/450's and had the longer chassis. Of course, I would lose speed on them in the really tight stuff so it kind of balanced out. In the tight stuff the KDX, if running good and setup well, can hang and even beat some of the latest machines as long as the rider does their part.
'11 GasGas EC250R
soup-n-sandwich

SS109 wrote: 12:57 pm Jul 11 2022 Don't screw with the rake and trail. The KDX handles just fine the way it is. The KDX chassis is extremely hard to beat in tight woods racing. The only place modern bikes, with their longer frames, really have an advantage is in high speed sections. Of course, the KDX wasn't built for high speed stuff so you really can't blame it there. Just a change to USD forks can get the stock framed KDX to handle the high speeds better but it will never be as good with the shorter wheelbase.

I will say, that tuner guy saying you need to have more skill to ride a KDX effectively is full of crap. I've ridden dozens of newer bikes, GasGas (pre and post KTM), Sherco, Husqvarna (pre and post KTM), Beta, KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki... well, you get the idea. Guess what? I was the same speed on all of them except I got more top speed because most of them were 250/300/450's and had the longer chassis. Of course, I would lose speed on them in the really tight stuff so it kind of balanced out. In the tight stuff the KDX, if running good and setup well, can hang and even beat some of the latest machines as long as the rider does their part.
Hey thanks. Honestly I wasn't planing messing with the rake and trail...just worked up is all. There is a lot of hype out there when it comes to new bikes. Most of the folks talking about it can barley ride. People just repeat what they hear usually. I'm tired of hearing about all this stuff but not being able to actually test any of it. It makes me second guess myself on going in any direction but I have to do something. Seeing KDXs with directionals, set up for dual sport doesn't help either! That's all we have ever heard "trail bike, trail bike, trail bike" I think the KDX's motor is the bomb. I would like to make it the best and can be and I'll take care of the rest. I ju
st didn't want to shoot myself in the foot as my first step of getting back into racing.
Nothing would make be happier than smoking the guys in my class on a 17 year old KDX when most are riding $9K KTMs.

I think part of the reputation the KDX gets (good and bad) is it's mild manor is good for beginners but I have found I'm faster on smaller engine bikes and smoother. Most are all about how much power it has. Most of the people that have this state of mind suck at riding anyway. You could smoke them in the woods on an XR100.
The other things is few pros used the KDX. I remember seeing Ty Davis...always riding and winning national scrambles and enduros on a KX modified for off road. Some times it feels like your shoveling Sh*t against the tide. I should but the ear plugs in and blinders on and move forward.

Thanks man your input. I really appreciate what you said.
Chris
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it worth it - for me definitely

Post by MoonStomper »

I think I’m not sure what your goals are here. I went the KDX route because: reputation of the bike for my intended uses (trail riding/ hare scrambles) low initial cost and high reliability factors, parts and info availability, simplicity of maintenance.

I’ll say that I definitely agree with my suspension guy’s comments (who used to race a KDX) pbased on the following factors: weight, center of gravity, and my experience riding my son’s KTM 144 and then his 200 XC-w. The weight difference is undeniable, though not unreasonable, it’s about where the weight is carried that matters to me. I’m 5’9” / 165lbs. That 2.9 g fuel tank sits pretty high and it also prevents the rider from shifting their weight as far forward when cornering seated than most of the modern designs. Both have a negative effect on handling, especially on steep and challenging terrain like what we ride.

As far as my experience on the other bikes…
Both were easier to ride consistent fast lap times on. The 144 felt more like my mountain bike but I had rev/clutch more to go fast, the 200 had more low end than the 144, (my KDX has a sweeter top end) but was still very nimble and felt lighter in the woods than the KDX. My son has ripped a lot of hole shots racing on his xcw, but head to head my KDX beats him about 2 out of 5. He’s got very polished reaction times. Fredette’s help setting up my bike is a huge factor. I’ve pulled two hole shots racing since then. I think practice, confidence, and those speed mods helped.

For me my KDX is more fun to rip on, but I’m a little slower on it and I’m more tired after. My lap times showed this. The new Rieju 300 is faster yet. I can ride the whole course in 3rd including one section where I grab 2nd on my KDX and the xcw. It’s easier for me to go fast on those bikes, but my KDX is still more fun. Except when I drop it, it’s noticeably heavier and requires more skill to stay upright doing hard enduro stuff. Hoping that my time spent next month doing the Graham Jarvis Academy will pay off.

Personally, I enjoy having one of the few KDXs out there. It’s cool bike, with a notable past (ISDE gold medals),and lots of potential. I think it is making me a better rider.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

My point was that it doesn't take more skill to ride a KDX. It only takes an adjustment of your existing skills and managing your energy. I'm just a mid pack B racer so I'm not the fastest guy out there but the KDX, or any other bike, makes no difference to me as long as it's setup correctly. Like I said, I end up being neraly the same on any bike unless it's a real fast course where the extra power and high speed stability of modern bikes help. Even then, managing and controlling a more powerful and lighter bike can wear me out quicker than the old heavy KDX at times. I never considered getting forward on the tank for turns a requirement. I tend to stand for most corners, which allows me to get the proper weight on the front, but I know most people sit all the time nowadays and don't seem to know how to ride like that. I'm sure a faster A rider or Pro can use what the modern bikes have to offer more than I. However, most of us aren't A riders or Pros and we should keep that in mind.

Oh, and I know I'll always catch grief for this but the KDX was NOT designed to be a trail bike. It was developed specifically for enduro type racing, in particular the ISDE, and was an actual race bike. I know no one looks at them that way any more, and it did end up being more of a trail bike at the end due to Kawasaki never giving any real updates after 1995, but that's not how the bike started out. Yes, in stock form the KDX is an outdated platform with no electric start, old ergonomics, and heavy steel frame but the bike can still get'r done. Now, flame on! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
soup-n-sandwich

Thanks guys. I'm starting to understand the attraction to build a hybrid. I was looking at the latest WR250F. There is an example of a modern design in every way. A four stroke but a modern design. The fuel tank is actually under the seat and much lower than any bike I've seen.
The goal is not regret whatever bike I get and to have to work for me. As I had mentioned, I had two KDX H series bikes. I remember the short comings and want to see if I can prevent the same thing from happening. The suspension being the first thing to address. I kept hearing about the KDX being at a big disadvantage to a modern bike. I guess I want the best of both worlds for the KDX. Having that great engine, lower weight, lower center of gravity, better handling without spending $9k on a Beta 200rr.

I've always loved the KDX. Especially the engine. I would love to see that engine in a no-compromise chassis I guess. Nearly everyone that converts a MX bike to an off road bike has to place a huge fuel tank on it. So right there that bike weighs more and has a higher center of gravity. Regardless of the bike, this has to be reflected in it's handling I would think.

Other than the Beta200RR I don't see a modern bike that ticks all the boxes for me. I really would like a two stroke and love that KDX H series engine. Place that engine in another chassis seems to be the best of both worlds...well that is until you dig into what it's going to take to have a hybrid bike. My guess is that it would cost a lot more than most think. I mean you still need to buy the KX or whatever is going to be used for the final chassis but also the KDX200 engine which I've never seen a fully complete engine for sale yet.

Not sure guys what I'm doing but thank you all for your input.
Chris
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go to the Yamaha dealer and ask if they will let you pretend to pick up that WR250F from a pretend rut. Reach up under that fender and pick up the rear end for as long as you can. Yep, time to hop for a different bike than the M1-A2 tank / WR250F. :-)

See if they have a YZ125X since you are 145 pounds.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

WR's are pigs in the tight woods. Heaviest and hardest to turn bike I've ridden. Made the KDX feel like a mountain bike!
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

As for a modern competitor to the Beta, look at the Rieju MR series of bikes. There is a MR 200 avalable at an MSRP of $9,499 and I would pick it over the Beta every time. Rieju MR Racing line of bikes
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I’ll SECOND the Rieju, they are the best new bike value out there.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As the owner/builder of a KDX/KX hybrid...it doesn't take a ton of money or time to build one. If you have a KDX and a donor KX chassis you could do it in a weekend and still have time to ride Sunday afternoon. Check out the Hybrid forums here and you'll see. I absolutely love my hybrid.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bufftester wrote: 07:30 pm Jul 14 2022 As the owner/builder of a KDX/KX hybrid...it doesn't take a ton of money or time to build one. If you have a KDX and a donor KX chassis you could do it in a weekend and still have time to ride Sunday afternoon. Check out the Hybrid forums here and you'll see. I absolutely love my hybrid.
Yup. It really doesn't take much and can be done very quickly if you get your ducks in a row before physically starting the conversion.
'11 GasGas EC250R