Is it worth it

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it worth it

Post by doakley »

If you are riding typical Eastern woods enduros with woods single track, I think you will be hard pressed to find a bike with better geometry than a KDX. True, the KDX was not designed as a trail bike but as an enduro and ISDE (ISDT) competition bike. Unfortunately the ISDE has changed formats now with an emphasis on faster, more open timed sections favoring MX bikes. The KDX is not as competitive in these type events with their grass track and MX sections.

I set up my 1999 KDX 220 specifically to compete in the NEPG/AMA National Enduro Series and managed to finish 5th in my class (65+) for the series in 2019. I did switch to a set of KX USD forks with gold valves custom tuned for me and had Jeff Fredette rework the rear shock also (he does his own valve work). To me, the improvement over the stock forks was noticeable. I had the head done by Ron Black and put on one of his new, OEM style modded carbs, an FMF Rev (desert) pipe and spark arrestor, Boysen reeds. I never, absolutely never, felt I was at a serious disadvantage riding my modified KDX. That engine is a pure delight in the woods. It was always fun to pass people with my "outdated" bike. If I could, I would be riding the National circuit still on the KDX.

Everyone will have their own opinion and everyone will try to tell you why THEIR choice in bikes is best. Ignore them all! Go buy what you have fun riding and get to building seat time.

Y'all keep on brappin'!

Old Guy Racing (ret)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 09:48 pm Jul 15 2022 If you are riding typical Eastern woods enduros with woods single track, I think you will be hard pressed to find a bike with better geometry than a KDX. True, the KDX was not designed as a trail bike but as an enduro and ISDE (ISDT) competition bike. Unfortunately the ISDE has changed formats now with an emphasis on faster, more open timed sections favoring MX bikes. The KDX is not as competitive in these type events with their grass track and MX sections.

I set up my 1999 KDX 220 specifically to compete in the NEPG/AMA National Enduro Series and managed to finish 5th in my class (65+) for the series in 2019. I did switch to a set of KX USD forks with gold valves custom tuned for me and had Jeff Fredette rework the rear shock also (he does his own valve work). To me, the improvement over the stock forks was noticeable. I had the head done by Ron Black and put on one of his new, OEM style modded carbs, an FMF Rev (desert) pipe and spark arrestor, Boysen reeds. I never, absolutely never, felt I was at a serious disadvantage riding my modified KDX. That engine is a pure delight in the woods. It was always fun to pass people with my "outdated" bike. If I could, I would be riding the National circuit still on the KDX.

Everyone will have their own opinion and everyone will try to tell you why THEIR choice in bikes is best. Ignore them all! Go buy what you have fun riding and get to building seat time.

Y'all keep on brappin'!

Old Guy Racing (ret)
:supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Since you've had KDXs, you know they are great bikes. Are they outdated compared to a 2-3 year year old bike, of course. The H-series was way ahead of it's time considering it is a 95 model year. Am I faster on my 18 Husky FE250, probably, but that is less on the bike and more on me as the rider. I am a decent rider, but I will never out ride the KDX. Just look at Jordan Ashburn riding a stock KDX at the Tennessee Knockout or the Torture Test review where the guy is ripping through the desert. It shows the KDX punches far above it's weight class. If you want something thinner, more modern/racey feeling, and lighter then spend the extra money and get something newer. If you want something that is more than capable, bullet proof, easy to work on, and delivers constant grins; then go KDX. Regardless of your choice, getting to ride and tinker on dirt bikes is a blast; so whatever the out come of your decision is will be a positive one. Good luck!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200