Performance upgrade

Got questions? We got answers....
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Performance upgrade

Post by DonnyV »

If you could only get one right now for a 220 what would you get?

35AS or
Gnarly desert

I already have rb head mod and the bike is running great, just looking for a little bit more. I don't think Ron has any carbs right now ( I haven't asked yet) but this last winter he didn't have none. Plus these pipes are hit and miss if and when they're available.

I was thinking about getting the pipe now because of scarcity and getting the carb later, there both cost about the same. Any advice is always appreciated from kdxrider crew.
03 220 w/fmf rev, RB head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Performance upgrade

Post by KDXGarage »

for me, pipe
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

IIWM I'd do the RB carb first, the gains across the board are better than those you'll get with the pipe (which is mainly going to be in the top end). However, if an RB modded carb isn't available then its kind of a toss up pipe over regular Air Striker. Both will improve your top end without hurting the low end much. Of course, the easiest answer is just get both! lol
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would get an RB carb before anything but only because Ron is supposedly not doing them any more. If you're lucky enough to be able to get one from him that would be my 1st choice.

Otherwise, it depends. Is your current carb worn out? If so, going carb first is a no brainer. If not, it really is a toss up between them. The pipe will be the easiest upgrade as your jetting might not need to change at all or only a small amount whereas changing the carb you'll have to dial in each circuit.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If I was only doing ONE mod it would be the pipe for sure. I would think the desert pipe vs stock is more of an improvement over 33 vs 35 while having a stock pipe. I used to have a woods pipe and installing the 35 carb didn’t make a big difference until I installed the rev pipe. I recently reinstalled the 33 to test something and I’m not in hurry to put the 35 back on. It runs great.

I hear the other side of the debate though. An FMF pipe will be easier to come by later than a RB carb.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Purple bars, no doubt! 🤪
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

If your bike is running well now, I’d go with suspension upgrades.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you can locate a pipe, get the pipe. Who is going to make us a pipe in the future, if not FMF? There are already several places to get a carb modified if Ron is not doing his. Yes, it might not be as good or give that warm fuzzy feeling, but a pipe is something you might need to get now due to potential future availability.

supply chain and all
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 12:38 pm Jul 09 2022 If your bike is running well now, I’d go with suspension upgrades.
That's the best suggestion right there! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Rocky Mountain atv has both fmf pipes in stock now.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

doakley wrote: 12:38 pm Jul 09 2022 If your bike is running well now, I’d go with suspension upgrades.
Already did suspension, only thing left would be gold valves or swap
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

Molly's 70 wrote: 06:12 pm Jul 10 2022 Rocky Mountain atv has both fmf pipes in stock now.
That's why I'm asking, they got them back in stock and I have the extra money now.
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

bufftester wrote: 04:58 pm Jul 08 2022 IIWM I'd do the RB carb first, the gains across the board are better than those you'll get with the pipe (which is mainly going to be in the top end). However, if an RB modded carb isn't available then its kind of a toss up pipe over regular Air Striker. Both will improve your top end without hurting the low end much. Of course, the easiest answer is just get both! lol
I'm going to email him this week, if he doesn't have none or not doing them anymore, then maybe I'll spend a tiny bit more and get them both lol
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

SS109 wrote: 10:21 pm Jul 08 2022 I would get an RB carb before anything but only because Ron is supposedly not doing them any more. If you're lucky enough to be able to get one from him that would be my 1st choice.

Otherwise, it depends. Is your current carb worn out? If so, going carb first is a no brainer. If not, it really is a toss up between them. The pipe will be the easiest upgrade as your jetting might not need to change at all or only a small amount whereas changing the carb you'll have to dial in each circuit.
Went for a ride today and carb seems fine, I really just love this bike, it just goes anywhere I want it to and fairly easy too, plus she rips. I think I'll get the pipe and some protection items to keep what I have in good shape.
DonnyV
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by DonnyV »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:28 pm Jul 09 2022 If you can locate a pipe, get the pipe. Who is going to make us a pipe in the future, if not FMF? There are already several places to get a carb modified if Ron is not doing his. Yes, it might not be as good or give that warm fuzzy feeling, but a pipe is something you might need to get now due to potential future availability.

supply chain and all
Exactly what I was thinking and rmatvmc has them 5plus in stock and yes there are others that can work carbs, rb is in my neighborhood but I think I acquired this bike a little to late, just by about a year, I did get my crank rebuild and head done by him this last winter though.