Cylinder Stud Torque?

Got questions? We got answers....
getherejune

Cylinder Stud Torque?

Post by getherejune »

Hi all-does anyone know the torque for the cylinder studs? Manual says 18 for the cyl/head NUTS but nothing on the studs. Ive googled/looked through the cyclepedia manual and can't find a thing. And, using google, i'm never sure who to trust as i'm unfamiliar with the posters. Read everything from install them dry, use oil, use red locker, use blue locker, use antiseize, torque them to 12, just snug at the bottom, bottom them out and come up 1/4 turn (just saying all that to prove i tried to research it!!) My gut is telling me just a dab of blue and tighten until they bottom out, but i don't want to go rogue on this and be wrong (i'm surprised the manual doesn't say anything about it). thx for any info :)
kdxdazz

Re: Cylinder Stud Torque?

Post by kdxdazz »

Yes you are correct, just tighten until snug, if you try putting any torque tension on them the threads on the studs are trying to move past the threaded area and that will damage the top thread of the aluminium, same for the cylinder head studs, hope I worded that correctly
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
getherejune

Post by getherejune »

perfect. thanks for the reply :) yep-thats what i thought-nothing to really "compress" so doesn't really make sense to torque them. Blue threadlocker?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I wouldn't use any threadlocker on the studs. Apply a coating of antiseize to studs, run them down my hand, and then install cylinder head and nuts, torque nuts to spec, done!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
getherejune

Post by getherejune »

perfect-thanks so much guys. Hope to be up and running next week thx to everyone's help. Much appreciated :)
ChinaHat

Post by ChinaHat »

For the 2003 KDX200 cylinder head studs it is very important to have them installed to the correct depth in order for enough of the stud to protrude through the head.This may or may not be a definitive torque spec.
Allow enough stud lenght for the head nuts to fully thread after the head is in place. For my bike it was 33 mm. That is why there is no torque spec for the studs.
They can easily be installed too deep and cause damage to the cylinder if you are trying to reach a specific torque setting.
Johnsee
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I feel like I recall there being a long and short side to the stud. Threaded the short side into the cylinder with some anti-seize on the threads and torqued the nuts. I think i might have put the long end into the cylinder first and found there wasn't enough threads to get the nut on, like ChinaHat mentioned.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike