Inner tubes?

Got questions? We got answers....
Skygod1

Inner tubes?

Post by Skygod1 »

Getting ready to mount up some new tires and I’m wondering if heavy duty or ultra heavy duty are worth it? I can’t say that I’ve ever had a flat tire using the standard tubes. Anyone have any insight or experience where they were saved because they were using an HD tube or had a flat that was due to the failure of a standard tube? I would think that anything that breached the tire wouldn’t be stopped by even the heaviest tube.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Inner tubes?

Post by SS109 »

I ran HD tubes when I first got back in to riding. I would get puncture flats all the time and got really good at R&R'ing tires and tubes because of it. My flats were normally due to cacti needles. As I got faster it got worse and I started experiencing pinch flats to go along with the punctures. I said screw this and went to tougher tires, along with the Neutech Tubliss setup, and never looked back at tubes.

Now, that said, since the supply chain issues have been ongoing, getting the inner bladders for Tubliss are near impossible to get and they only recommend running them for about two years. I ran one a lot longer than that (about 5 years) and couldn't get a replacement when it finally failed. So, my buddy runs the Bridgestone UHD 4mm tubes in his bikes and swears by them. I do all the work on his bikes and know he's only had one flat (due to a nail of all things) in over 10 years so I installed one of his used take outs on the rear of my bike. I have been running it in a 220 Ride gummy tire at 8psi now for over a year with no issues. I checked it when I swapped on a new 220 Ride gummy and it still looked good so I reinstalled it.

The big advantage with the Bridgestone UHD tubes really isn't that it's 4mm thick but what it's made of. See, most tubes are made from inferior, and cheaper, butyl rubber whereas the Bridgestone UHD tubes are made with natural rubber. Natural rubber doesn't pinch flat or puncture nearly as easy as butyl and lasts much longer and is well worth the cost IMO/IME. I know I wouldn't dare try running such low pressure with a butyl rubber inner tube as they just can't take the abuse like natural rubber. The Bridgestone UHD tubes are the only tubes I will ever run in one of my bikes.

Sorry so long winded but, yes, the tubes do make a difference. However, it all depends on what tires you run with them, what terrain you ride, and your speed that will determine what minimum setup you should run for trouble free riding. Only you will know what's right for you but I know spending the extra on a premium Bridgestone UHD you are more than likely not going to have problems on your ride days.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What tire are you using? Do you ride in rocky areas?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I’ll SECOND! SS109 on the UHD tubes and thank him for the information regarding the Bridgestone natural rubber. I didn’t know that. Next front tube I buy will be the Bridgestone.

I’ve been running a 4mm in the front which I’ve only managed to damage by careless installation. Recently we switched to Tubliss in the rear with a ‘Slime setup’. It has been a really dependable combo so far. My front tube psi is 9.5-10, and in the rear Tubliss I’ve settled at 5.5 with 100 in the bladder. I also run Slime in the tube and tire up front. I think it keeps things slippery in there and helps defend against thorns too.

Last week’s race was in some technical rocky, off-camber, slippery-rooty, and steep!!! - single track. Several times I could feel guys catching me, then I’d hit a super tech and difficult section and pull away from them. Some of that was the KDX (right!?!) and some of that was my patience and easy to modulate clutch, but I attribute most of it to the new IRC VE33 at low pressure.

I also credit the Tubliss for the crucial traction on my hole shot. It limited wheelspin off the line and then gave me more control drifting across the front of the pack out of the first turn towards the flag.

Right now I’m on a 110/100-18, but I will find a 120/100 next time. I like having more rubber on the ground.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA