DC conversion - Float AC side or DC side

Got questions? We got answers....
ComputerDork

DC conversion - Float AC side or DC side

Post by ComputerDork »

I have a question about hooking up the AC side of the rectifier.

The lighting coil has the yellow wire on one side and the other grounded to the frame.

The AC side of the rectifier has a yellow wire and a pink wire.

I want to connect the yellow to yellow and the pink to frame ground ( this will essentially connect the pink to the other side of the lighting coil, using the frame as the conductor) (and also prevent having to remove the flywheel).

Why do I not hear anyone discussing this approach ? (given that it saves having to remove the flywheel and snake another wire)

Also, to make this approach work I will be keeping the DC side completely floated (NOT connected to frame ground anywhere at all, I will have an isolated -12v dc busbar which the negative of all dc items will be connected to, to get back to the negative side of the battery).

Thoughts?
ComputerDork

Re: DC conversion - Float AC side or DC side

Post by ComputerDork »

Well, if anyone is curious, it works.

Saved me the trouble of having to pull off the flywheel (and cover), do some soldering and snaking a new wire .

Added a couple of p-touch labels saying "do not ground to frame" , as a reminder for me (or future owners).
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: DC conversion - Float AC side or DC side

Post by bufftester »

Which bike are you talking about? There are no pink wires on the 220/H/E bikes, and no rectifier, only a regulator. And what are you floating for? Additional lighting? When we talk about floating the ground on these bikes, it is specifically to isolate the lighting circuit and allow the addition of a battery to support additional DC loads. If you already have a battery and an isolated 12V circuit then someone before you already did the work. Without a point of reference your post is a lot of gibberish.