Frozen Clutch Issues! WTF?

Got questions? We got answers....
Chuck78
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Frozen Clutch Issues! WTF?

Post by Chuck78 »

I believe the aftermarket kits come with an extra set of discs/plates, to take the place of the judder spring assembly. You get more rapid engagement and you get additional friction material which has a few benefits, primarily that it will last longer. You can run OEM clutches without the jutter spring as long as you add one more plate/disk I do believe.

Avoid the Tusk clutches. My buddy put them in his CRF and they lasted 13 miles before he had to go hide his bike in the woods under brush and come back the next day with a quad to tow it out. He insists that they were installed properly and everything adjusted properly, and pointed towards many ThumperTalk forum posts where people say absolutely do not ever run anything but OEM, Hinson, Rekluse, and Barnett friction discs... As the aftermarket will burn up quickly...

I've had good luck with EBC on my street bikes, although the springs are notoriously very stiff. I did get more hot clutch swell with the EBC friction discs than I did with OEM Suzuki.
Jeff Fredette sells Vesrah VC-173 Honda discs for KDX use, as they have substantially more friction material but have the same footprint to fit into the baskets. That's older XR250 & 83-84 XR350R fitment. I've read of others using the XR400R friction discs which also fit layer XR250R as well as CBR900RR sport bikes, so those will definitely be up to the task... Vesrah VC-175 I believe. The quantities are not correct for a KDX if you buy those kits unless you use the judder spring and one of your original friction discs. The 173 kit actually you would need to use two of your originals, only six included in that kit.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup