Fitting fans

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxdazz

Fitting fans

Post by kdxdazz »

There seems to be so little information on fitting fans to a kdx I thought I would share what I've done, I used 2 X 120mm noctua industrial PPC fans, basically the best computer fan money can buy, I think it works out to about 200cfm for a 0.6 amp draw
Attachments
IMG_20220210_172818.jpg
IMG_20220210_172818.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 1953 times
IMG_20220210_172830.jpg
IMG_20220210_172830.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 1953 times
IMG_20220210_172406.jpg
IMG_20220210_172406.jpg (4.56 MiB) Viewed 1953 times
IMG_20220210_172326.jpg
IMG_20220210_172326.jpg (4.4 MiB) Viewed 1953 times
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fitting fans

Post by KDXGarage »

Where do you get the juice to run them? A battery? No USA KDX comes with a battery, so that may be why you don't see it much on here. Most people on here are from the USA with USA sold KDX's.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

It's an Australian kdx, they come with the bigger stator like most other countries, connected to the engine temp light, Australian kdx also has the full dash
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, so it is DC current?

I have a couple of similar fans for my... plasma TV. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Part of the reason you don't see them much is that the KDX is not known to be a bike that regularly gets that hot. I have raced desert, high alpine, the dirty south in summer and never had my bike boil over, though it has gotten a bit toasty to sit over lol. And I'm sure if you put it into a jungle mudhole in September you could get any bike to overheat lol. Did you ever get those old radiators swapped out for better ones a couple years back?
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Mine blew the bleeder plug in a mud race year before last… the black plastic plug was original (old and brittle!) user error probably as much the cause as anything else. That’s the only time I’ve had an issue. I fitted a steel oil drain plug in the hole and got a Meylers higher pressure cap (the pretty black round one) after that.

I do wonder how those fans take the heat/vibration/mud/dust they will encounter.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

bufftester wrote: 07:41 pm Feb 17 2022 Part of the reason you don't see them much is that the KDX is not known to be a bike that regularly gets that hot. I have raced desert, high alpine, the dirty south in summer and never had my bike boil over, though it has gotten a bit toasty to sit over lol. And I'm sure if you put it into a jungle mudhole in September you could get any bike to overheat lol. Did you ever get those old radiators swapped out for better ones a couple years back?
Good memory, the radiators you see in the photos are new radiators, I'm currently in Australia and using my kdx here as a dummy bike to fab up the fan mounts and radiator guards, then the whole assembly including radiators will be going back to Thailand with me to fit on my kdx in Thailand, all bikes in the Thai jungle overheat without a fan so new radiators or not ,fans will be needed, I also bought a trails bike in Australia so been taking cooling cues from that, they have a fan and shroud that covers the whole radiator as they have zero airflow from movement of the bike, similar to alot of the situations we are in, in Thailand
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

MoonStomper wrote: 12:04 am Feb 18 2022 Mine blew the bleeder plug in a mud race year before last… the black plastic plug was original (old and brittle!) user error probably as much the cause as anything else. That’s the only time I’ve had an issue. I fitted a steel oil drain plug in the hole and got a Meylers higher pressure cap (the pretty black round one) after that.

I do wonder how those fans take the heat/vibration/mud/dust they will encounter.
These fans are noctuas industrial version so quite often used in harsh environments, they have anti vibration rubber pads and IP52 rated but just to be sure I will cover the shroud when pressure washing
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

KDXGarage wrote: 04:50 pm Feb 17 2022 OK, so it is DC current?

I have a couple of similar fans for my... plasma TV. :-)
Kdx is AC current and I already burnt out one fan testing it on AC my other kdx is DC but I forgot how it was done, think it was just a bridge rectifier
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

This is awesome, I need to do something like this to my 1989. It runs cool most of the time but during steep, long, slow climbs it definitely gets hot (200F+) to where I need to sit and let it cool down for like 15 minutes, which is pretty annoying.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

i ended up buying a lithium battery pack which gives me 3 hours of run time then i carry a spare in my bag, total 6 hours, unfortunately it didn't help my overheating problem at all as that was caused by pinholes in the cylinder, ive since put a sleeve in the cylinder and will reassemble next month, but quite annoying how people say kdx's don't overheat, like its the case across 250 countries and all terrain lol :grin:
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

So I think my plan is going to be the Tusk digital fan kit paired with their enduro lighting battery, should be pretty easy I just need to measure and make sure the fan will fit.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Will be interesting to see your results, generally sleeved cylinders run hotter than plated ones. On here you'll get a lot of users who never see a KDX overheat because the majority of users are in North America and we don't usually see the type of climates that SW Asia and and other tropical areas get. High ambient temperatures with high humidity is a difficult operating environment for any motor. Running Engine Ice or Evans waterless works well for a lot of folks, but it's likely hard to find overseas and expensive. There are some other water wetter products out there that may help as well in extreme conditions.