Riding in AZ - attention SS109

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

Riding in AZ - attention SS109

Post by BlkDakDave »

I'll be making another trip to AZ at the end of January 2022 to visit my brother and youngest son. On past trips I always taken my plated KLX331. This year I'm considering taking my unplated KDX220. My question is, can I ride the KDX at OHV places, (BLM/forrest service roads) without plates? Also if I had to ride a short distance on the street, just how bad it that "frowned upon?"

TIA!
NEVER FORGET!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Riding in AZ - attention SS109

Post by SS109 »

You can ride without plates but you're required to purchase an OHV sticker to ride on any public lands, state or federal. As to hitting the streets, most regular cops don't even look at you on a dirt bike around here as it's easy to make them street legal. Just ride smart and safe and they normally won't mess with you. However, if you are in a USFS area the rangers are quite brutal about enforcement of proper plates on legal roads.
Non-residents can choose whether they want “street legal” registration (if their home state or province does not offer a “street legal” registration) or whether they want to purchase a non-resident OHV decal. If a non-resident wants to make their OHV “street legal” they must register and purchase their OHV decal through the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) or an authorized third party service provider. If a non-resident wishes to operate their OHV exclusively on non-maintained roads and trails, they can purchase the non-resident OHV decal through the Arizona Game and Fish Department website by creating a portal account. If your home state or province provides “street legal” registration, which includes a license plate, then you only need to purchase a non-resident OHV decal. Arizona no longer accepts (provides reciprocity) OHV decals issued by other states.
The above info and how you can purchase one can be found here: https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/decals/

Also, most off road areas, but not all, are what is called State Trust land. This is NOT public land like most think and requires it's own permit to ride along with the OHV saticker. The permit is only $15 and can be purchased online here: https://asld.secure.force.com/recreationalpermit/

If I can help further just let me know. I'm an AZ Sate Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador so it's kind of my job to know the laws and help people with these questions. BTW, will you be in the Tucson area at all?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the required OHV sticker and know that my TX OHV sticker no longer carriers over to AZ. That State Trust Land stuff is where I get a little confused. Also, you mentioned that the rangers can be brutal if riding on leagal roads. Does this include forest service roads? In past visits I've ridden Bulldog Canyon, the areas around Punkin Center & Four Peaks. The Box Canyon in Florence, areas south of 260 and Ross Rd and around Pinetop. Closer to you, I rode South Mt Lemmon Road out of Oricale and Pepper Sauce Campground. Did that a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the area on the backside of and going up to Mt. Lemmon. BTW - all of my riding was done mid week (Tues, Weds & Thurs) to escape the SxS crowd. I had no issues riding the KLX in any of these areas and just thought it would be to nice to ride the lighter KDX. If riding the unplated KDX is going to limit riding in the areas above or similar places, I'll stick with the plated KLX.

I'll be staying in Ahwatukee with my brother and would enjoy exploring new (to me) areas to ride. So if you got 'em, let me know.

Thanks again for the reply and info!
NEVER FORGET!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

BlkDakDave wrote: 12:21 pm Jan 16 2022 That State Trust Land stuff is where I get a little confused.
Basically, you can ride any road that passes through State Trust land but, as soon as you stop on, or hit any trail, you have to have the permit. It's only $15 and you can carry a digital copy of it on your phone for showing cops or Game & Fish. A lot of the Peppersauce area is State Trust land along with San Manuel, Marana, and many others but most don't realize they are on it until they get checked by G&F/cops and get a hefty ticket.
BlkDakDave wrote: 12:21 pm Jan 16 2022 Does this include forest service roads? In past visits I've ridden Bulldog Canyon, the areas around Punkin Center & Four Peaks. The Box Canyon in Florence, areas south of 260 and Ross Rd and around Pinetop.
Most definitely USFS roads. If the roads are listed for all types of motorized travel then the the Rangers don't play and will ticket you without a street registration/plate. (https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/know-befo ... le-touring read "Follow vehicle regulations" section, bullet point 3) You could street legal the KDX while you're here. They don't check squat to see if you have DOT tires, horn, lights, nothing, and they don't seem to really care. Just don't act like a douche while on legal roads and they don't mess with you. Now, they will give you an actual license plate and OHV sticker (buy sticker first as it saves you on the registration fee) that's supposed to be mounted on your bike. However, a lot of people mount the plate on the back of their hydration pack and G&F don't care. The big thing is you gotta put street insurance on it. That's about it.
BlkDakDave wrote: 12:21 pm Jan 16 2022 Closer to you, I rode South Mt Lemmon Road out of Oricale and Pepper Sauce Campground. Did that a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the area on the backside of and going up to Mt. Lemmon. BTW - all of my riding was done mid week (Tues, Weds & Thurs) to escape the SxS crowd.
Ah, Mt Lemmon/Peppersauce is close to where my club holds it's annual race in San Manuel, AZ. I know of a lot of great State Trust land singeltrack out there. I also ride Stae Trust singletrack at the Marana area and the USFS Red Springs Trail system that my club put in near Amado, AZ. You can find vids of all these areas on my Youtube channel linked in my sig. If you prefer more dualsport type riding, which I do not do, down in the Tucson area I suggest getting touch with my club, Trail Riders of Southern AZ (TRS), through our Facebook page or our website as we have a lot of dualsport guys in the club. I'm sure someone would be happy to show you around.
BlkDakDave wrote: 12:21 pm Jan 16 2022I'll be staying in Ahwatukee with my brother and would enjoy exploring new (to me) areas to ride. So if you got 'em, let me know.
I listed three places I like to ride above. If you're interested while here just let me know. I can do week day rides but when on the singletrack you don't have to worry about the crazy SxS's!
BlkDakDave wrote: 12:21 pm Jan 16 2022Thanks again for the reply and info!
You're most welcome my friend!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

#SS109, I really appreciate the time you've taken. Still not sure which bike to load up, but I have about 10 days to figure decide before beginning my trek to AZ.

Yeah those SxS's are crazy. From what I have experienced with them is they're usually operated by a knucklehead with ZERO trail etiquette. I'm sure out in the open desert they can be a blast.

Thanks again!
NEVER FORGET!