95-06 KDX PowerValve Broke

Got questions? We got answers....
gumbo583

95-06 KDX PowerValve Broke

Post by gumbo583 »

So I decided to do a top end on my 2003 KDX220R, I took of my cylinder and realized that I first must disconnect the little shaft connected to a gear with a bolt on it. I took off the boot for it, but I turned the bolt the wrong way and I got too aggressive and I heard a snapping noise in the engine. I took it apart and saw that there is a gear with a spring on it, it has a little gap in its shaft for some type of rod for it to fit. The governor lever on the governor shaft broke.

Question: Does the governor shaft go into the little space in between the gear and the round thing at the end of the power valve governing gear? I am sorry about wording this not very good, I am 16 and I am decently new to this kind of stuff.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: 95-06 KDX PowerValve Broke

Post by Slick_Nick »

Yes. It's a common issue when people without a service manual go to loosen that nut since it's left handed.

Get a service manual and a new KIPS governor pin.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There is a little pin on a part that usually breaks.

There are a lot of threads on here with people repairing their own or a previous owner's mistake. You aren't the first. Read through some old threads to find out what happened.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I agree 100% with what they said. Fish out the broken pin, buy new KIPS pin, use the service manual and follow exactly what it says to install it, go have fun!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

and a new OEM clutch cover gasket
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I’d like to see exactly how that governor shaft is secured at the lower end. The parts diagram shows it’s held in place by a tiny Phillipshead screw that mysteriously secures a pin behind it? How do you remove this pin once the screw is out? Once that pin is removed, does this allow the governor shaft to come out free of the case? If you could do it this way it seems you could skip the step of removing the left-hand threaded nut at the other end that people (without Service Manuals) tend to break.

Does anyone have a good source for a good Service Manual? My Cyclopedia manual is woefully inadequate on these details.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
gumbo583

Post by gumbo583 »

MoonStomper wrote: 04:06 pm Dec 31 2021 I’d like to see exactly how that governor shaft is secured at the lower end. The parts diagram shows it’s held in place by a tiny Phillipshead screw that mysteriously secures a pin behind it? How do you remove this pin once the screw is out? Once that pin is removed, does this allow the governor shaft to come out free of the case? If you could do it this way it seems you could skip the step of removing the left-hand threaded nut at the other end that people (without Service Manuals) tend to break.

Does anyone have a good source for a good Service Manual? My Cyclopedia manual is woefully inadequate on these details.
Once the governor lever is off, it seems like you can pull it through, and yes, there are two really tiny screws that secure that governor lever on, I had to buy new gaskets and the governor lever but it really was not that expensive, only about 60 bucks in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look on eBay. They used to be on there for not too much.

I don't think the manual states to hold the shaft steady when loosening the nut, but it is a great idea.