Adjustable CDI for KDX 200 and 220- Interested?

Got questions? We got answers....
spencerdiesel

Re: Adjustable CDI for KDX 200 and 220- Interested?

Post by spencerdiesel »

Add me to the list as well please, like John_s I’m in no hurry either. Awesome!
Newbie to riding, currently have a ‘95 KDX200 and an ‘03 RM125
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 11:52 am Feb 24 2022 SS109, I’m in. Tell me how to pay you!
Sorry I didn't reply directly before. I won't be taking payment until they are ready to ship. It doesn't feel right to me to take money for anything I don't have pretty much ready to ship.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Ok, Moonstomper's CDI went out today. He should hopefully have it by Saturday.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

MoonStomper is probably a little too excited about it too!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

For those inquiring about availability, I'm still awaiting feedback from Slick_Nick and MoonStomper before I make these available. Labels for the units are coming in later this week and I'll have seven more ready to go within a week of knowing the units are good to go.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

SS109 wrote: 04:13 pm Mar 09 2022 For those inquiring about availability, I'm still awaiting feedback from Slick_Nick and MoonStomper before I make these available. Labels for the units are coming in later this week and I'll have seven more ready to go within a week of knowing the units are good to go.
Sorry buddy, I’ve been Flying all over the country this week, and I’ve still got the bike out away until the snow melts. The frozen shithole of Hoth got another 2 inches the day after I left!
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 11:19 am Mar 10 2022 Sorry buddy, I’ve been Flying all over the country this week, and I’ve still got the bike out away until the snow melts. The frozen shithole of Hoth got another 2 inches the day after I left!
No worries. If I can get some more time on mine this weekend, and still with no hiccups, I'll probably be fine with selling them openly. I just overthink and worry about too much at times.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Just an update, testing is ongoing. I have over 150 miles of riding on mine so far with no hiccups. Only issue has been too much advance because I designed this off the E-series CDI so it has an extra 4 degrees of advance built in. On an H-series bike that would mean up to 8 degrees total which is excessive. It won't hurt the bike with proper octane and jetting but the problem becomes it wants to kickback when starting which both MoonStomper and I have both experienced. Moonstomper is trying something today that should give us some more much needed info and hopefully this will provide the last piece of the puzzle.
'11 GasGas EC250R
spencerdiesel

Post by spencerdiesel »

Is that 8 degrees over the whole curve or just base/ idle? Glad to hear y’all being able to do some testing!
Newbie to riding, currently have a ‘95 KDX200 and an ‘03 RM125
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It would +4 degrees advance over stock on just the base setting. Or at least that is what I think is going on. Trying to find the equipment I need to really see what is happening timing wise. Hopefully I'll have all the answers I need soon.
'11 GasGas EC250R
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

Please add me to the list. My bike is for sale, but I can't stop buying cool stuff for it.
MarcE

Post by MarcE »

Hi, this sounds really interesting, particularly as I think my CDI might be shot. I have a KDX 200E. Would your CDI work with a 200E? It looks as though you have been using it on H models. Also, I'm not very good with electrics so not too sure what this mod would do. Would it effectively let me advance the ignition at low revs to give more mid-low while at the same time retarding it at higher revs giving me more top-end/over rev? Thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MarcE wrote: 03:48 am Apr 18 2022 Hi, this sounds really interesting, particularly as I think my CDI might be shot. I have a KDX 200E. Would your CDI work with a 200E? It looks as though you have been using it on H models. Also, I'm not very good with electrics so not too sure what this mod would do. Would it effectively let me advance the ignition at low revs to give more mid-low while at the same time retarding it at higher revs giving me more top-end/over rev? Thanks
Yes, it would work on the E-series bike as that's the CDI I based it off off. Yes, more advance down low for more low end grunt but retarding the timing up high for more over rev.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MarcE

Post by MarcE »

Can you post abroad? I'm in Thailand, if you can send one there can I put my name down? Are the CDIs for the E and H interchangeable?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

They are interchangeable as in they are plug and play. However, base timing is different between the two bikes. I'm still working it out right now before I will sell them. If I get it sorted I have no problem selling anywhere in the world.
'11 GasGas EC250R
5-SpeedXJ

Post by 5-SpeedXJ »

Please add me to the list also when these are ready!
02 KDX 200
Boyesen 607 Power Reed
Pro Circuit Pipe
Pro Circuit Factory 304
RB Carb Mod
Trail Tech Computer
Horn
DC Power Conversion "Lighting Circuit"
KX500 Forks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Ok, I'm going to let some CDI's out in to the wild. I've put quite a few hours on it now with zero hiccups. I have complete confidence in my CDI to be 100% reliable and it won't let you down when you're way out in the boondocks.

That said, full disclosure, Moonstomper did not like his due to the extra timing causing the kickstarter to kick back at times. I've learned that getting the piston just past TDC before kicking makes a huge difference but I honestly don't even think about it now. As you can see in my vids, I just kick! However, you don't want to kick your bike unless you're wearing your riding boots just in case!

So, this CDI is rather aggressive in it's base timing. If it's way too much for you the only option is to set the stator to the full retarded position (not the retard mark on the stator but full screw slot) and adjust from there. Me, I'm running the stator plate set at the stock setting and have the advance on the CDI adjusted to Advance 1 and Retard 2 and love how the engine runs but I tend to be a fairly aggressive rider at times!

If anyone is still interested, I have 5 CDI's ready to go. Actually, contact Moonstomper and get the one I sent him as that will help both of us out! Any hoo, I'm selling them at $120 shipped in the US only. If outside the US please contact me first and I'll get a shipping quote for you through USPS.

5togo.jpg
5togo.jpg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 10653 times
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Here is my second bit of instructions, warnings, and info on the CDI along with my original wiring and tuning sheet. You need to follow both when using this CDI. Please right click and Save As... if you plan on purchasing one. However, if you like, I can email them to you as well! Thanks!

supplemental web version.jpg
supplemental web version.jpg (346.31 KiB) Viewed 10618 times
CDI instructions Corrected4.jpg
CDI instructions Corrected4.jpg (546.51 KiB) Viewed 10618 times
'11 GasGas EC250R
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

Interested. I have been running a jaguar cdi on my 220 for a few years now. Works fine but is not very adjustable imo. When I first purchased the cdi I guess my wiring was different from the 200 so when wired in the 220 it fried something in the cdi. His customer service was great I took a pic of the unit and he could see right away what was wrong and had me mail the cdi back and fixed it and got it back to me very quickly.

My thoughts on the cdi is I cannot tell a difference at all. It has two switches A and B, the A switch is either stock or for after market stators “that always advance ignition”. The position of the after market stator acts as a kill switch and the bike will not run. Switch B is stock or retard high timing So basically for me all the jaguar cdi can do is retard hi rpm timing. Personally I cannot tell a difference at all. Not sure if this is how the jaguar is supposed to function or there is something wrong with my unit.

I do get some kick back with the kick starter at times but not sure if it’s the cdi itself or the timing curve is for a 200 and not a 220 also the increased compression with the RB head mod is probably not helping things either.

Just guessing here but the jaguar cdi and possible yours seem to be based on the 89-94 kdx 200 timing curve where the 220 has much more retarded timing all around. Possible to make a 220 variant or Do you have any plans to decrease the base/low rpm timing? Regardless the unit seems very reasonably priced and possibly more adjustable than what I have now and would like to give it a try. Worst case I got a back up as my stock cdi is long gone.

How do I buy?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sorry but I'm currently out of stock of these CDI's. I have to get more switches for the units I have partially assembled and I'm not super happy with the switches I've been using so looking for an alternative/upgrade.

For future upgrades it has been suggested that it might be better to develop an aggressive ignition curve and a mild curve to make it switchable on the fly but it would not be adjustable like the current version (cost, complexity, and size considerations). Also looking in to building in a timing retard just for when starting. However, I don't have the time to develop any future mods as of right now as I'm full steam ahead on my e-start for the KDX. I now have an investor that has helped me out greatly so I 100% committed to it at the moment.
'11 GasGas EC250R