Adjustable CDI for KDX 200 and 220- Interested?

Got questions? We got answers....
Boxfresh25

Re: Adjustable CDI for KDX 200 and 220- Interested?

Post by Boxfresh25 »

Bummer, if anyone has one for sale I would like try one. Whats the market look like for e-start demand? Love the innovation and to see people are still trying to develop and improve these dinosaurs. Prob one of the easiest bikes kick start, so I’m out on that one but see the need. Maybe in 10 more years 😅
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

HaHa! If you are very lucky, you WILL get there!
Octo777
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Octo777 »

Do you have any cdi left
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sorry, I'm currently out of stock.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
spencerdiesel

Post by spencerdiesel »

I had been checking this thread every other day until July and my work started running everything into the ground:/
SS109 I know you’re swamped but please let us know if you make more CDIs!
Newbie to riding, currently have a ‘95 KDX200 and an ‘03 RM125
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

spencerdiesel wrote: 08:32 pm Sep 26 2022 I had been checking this thread every other day until July and my work started running everything into the ground:/
SS109 I know you’re swamped but please let us know if you make more CDIs!
I promise I will update when I get back to them.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

I was reading an old thread with Jaguar's CDI info and SS109 you had began showing interest in making your own. I replied to that a few 2+ months ago (found from search results) without seeing this thread. I just now found the control panel setting for email notification replies to topics, perhaps you replied there and I missed it.

Now I'm bumming that I missed this entirely! I, too, would love one of these CDI's more optimized for best performance both high and low rpm...

Please sign me up for 2 of these, perhaps more, as soon as more become available. I can even pre-order some if cost for materials is helpful.

I find it odd that the stock isn't quite as optimized as it could be per my service manual reading and adjustments and reading Jaguar's commentary on the stock timing curve, and to get bottom end lightning fast (scary fast) response, you have to pull the flywheel and adjust the stator plate one way, and then to get high end power, you have to do the same but adjust the opposite way... having a mild/wild selectable switch like a lot of modern bikes with two advance curves is be nice, and having 3 or 4+ curves would be even better! I don't necessarily need on the fly adjustments, but that would be very nice!

The extreme response and touchiness of the low end response setting on the KDX stator plate with stock CDI is just too insane for tight woods riding, I felt as if I'd get rocketed into a tree or off a cliff if I just sneezed and gave the slightest throttle input, or worse, get bucked and get a case of whiskey throttle... but the top end wasn't quite there in that setting when going all out. maximum high rpm power would be nice, but a fair bit of low-mid snap on command without being too twitchy/scary/dangerous in the tight stuff would be incredibly helpful. This is what I'd love for.

Thank you for all you've done in these ignition ventures!
I actually just found this thread today by doing a search for other alternative ignition boxes that may be swappable, such as a KX250 etc or aftermarket.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have some things I'm researching on modifying the design right now. My latest Youtube vids talks a little more about it and the e-start I'm working on.

BTW, I replied to your PM!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Well, I know this post is about 8 months too late, but I decided to take the KDX to the track today and get the CDI dialed in. It’s our Canadian thanksgiving this weekend, and next weekend is the annual Turkey Scramble. Basically an enduro style hare scramble across all 5 tracks at our local motocross facility, with another 5-8 miles of single track sprinkled in. I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard it’s an absolute riot. One lap takes 30-40 minutes, and it’s a 4 hour event. It’s not scored, basically just for fun and to see who can actually finish. I plan to run the KDX which I’ve only ridden once this year, so today was a good opportunity to dust it off and get it dialed in.

I started with my stator plate set at the stock 0 position. With the WOPR CDI set to the base positions, I noticed a bit of a difference compared to the stock CDI. Keep in mind, I’m running leaded race fuel at 40:1 with a ported engine, and race cut head. I decided to go straight to SS’ recommendation of C-3 and immediately noticed the bike was really brought to life! Very happy with the CDI. I did get some kickback, once about every 3-4 starts. Beginning the kick just past TDC seemed to help some. It’s something I’m willing to live with for the added power.

Since I’ve got the fuel and head to take advantage of it, I’d like to try the 0-F (full extreme) setting next time out. I’ll report back!
D89DE9EA-948D-4504-A943-4C0AD74CA5E0.jpeg
D89DE9EA-948D-4504-A943-4C0AD74CA5E0.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 9603 times
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks for the report, Nick! Yeah, the kick back is noticeable. It's not a deal breaker for me especially for the low end response it gives me. Like you mentioned, just past TDC helps and nowadays I don't even really notice it. I think the CDI along with an e-start :mrgreen: would be the ideal setup since you wouldn't have to worry about the kick back.

How did you feel about controlling the extra power down low? I know some have worried about it in the tighter singletrack. I know I haven't had any issues with it but I do run a gummy tire, and have the clutch actuator mod, so that might be hiding it a bit, maybe.
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Mine is still available for sale! My bike kicks back occasionally (with the stock cdi & stator setting) if I’m not careful. With the mod CDI it’s just too much no matter what stator setting I use. For the riding I’m doing I’m going to stick with my stock one until this next advancement in the cdi design comes along.

BTW, SS109… special request - add a ‘mud’ map with a handlebar switch to the Bravo design!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

SS109 wrote: 10:02 pm Oct 10 2022 Thanks for the report, Nick! Yeah, the kick back is noticeable. It's not a deal breaker for me especially for the low end response it gives me. Like you mentioned, just past TDC helps and nowadays I don't even really notice it. I think the CDI along with an e-start :mrgreen: would be the ideal setup since you wouldn't have to worry about the kick back.

How did you feel about controlling the extra power down low? I know some have worried about it in the tighter singletrack. I know I haven't had any issues with it but I do run a gummy tire, and have the clutch actuator mod, so that might be hiding it a bit, maybe.
Oh dude I loved the extra bottom end! I also had my KX250F out with me, so riding each back to back it made me remember how much torque a 4 stroke has compared to the KDX, but when I went to the more aggressive curve, I loved how easily I was able to lug it out of corners! Now, this was on a motocross track, so perhaps it would be more noticeable in the woods, but you can always adjust it! I wished I'd have gone "full retard" (get it?) on the top end, since I was able to really wring it out on the track, but I'll try that for the scramble this coming weekend!

I had it temporarily mounted to just above the airbox, while I left the stock CDI in place, so I could ride both back to back. Unfortunately, the force of the jump landings caused the one side mounting tab to break off, so I'm going to mill an aluminum mounting bracket for a more permanent solution now that I can remove the stock CDI permanently.

Aside from the starting kickback, I give this thing A+, 5 star, full BRAAAAAAAP rating! In your next version, if you could program it to have the stock timing up to just below an idle RPM, which would make it easier to start, I think you'd have a winning combination!
'00 KDX 220R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 09:25 am Oct 11 2022 In your next version, if you could program it to have the stock timing up to just below an idle RPM, which would make it easier to start, I think you'd have a winning combination!
That sounds like a winning formula right there to reduce the kickback but retain the performance...

Like I was saying, for tight woods riding, the throttle response on my modified 220 as I received it from the previous owner's mechanic's work, was just downright uncontrollable with the stator plate set to the highest of the 3 marks as I recall (plate rotated counter-clockwise to the top stator plate mark of the three). I adjusted it a hair or two above the middle mark, and it was overall pretty perfect with ample low-mid power to loft the wheel over any downed tree trunk / boulders / bedrock shelf steps etc, with great but controllable power.

I noticed at the upper mark stock highest setting with the insane uncontrollable throttle response/wild acceleration, that it really didn't have the top end that I thought it should...
So in my eyes, the whole point of an aftermarket adjustable or fixed curve would be to dial in the timing for maximum high RPM power (this could be a fixed setting), while having an adjustable advance curve for the lower RPM ranges that one might see when riding tight technical singletracks, so that one can have the best of both (as opposed to stock always compromising one end of the RPM range or the other).
There's not likely to be many situations where we'd be at high RPM's and not be wanting maximum power, but in the low-mids and midrange as I said, a bike that has such instant response that one twitch of the throttle in tight technical terrain with trees, cliffs, steep drops etc could violently launch you into a tree or off a steep drop when things get a little out of hand, well that's no good... so at minimum the mild/wild rain/dry switch would be useful - but like I said, if it only affected the low/mid range RPM timing curve, that would be completely fine by me, and seems more appropriate.

An initial base low-mid rpm timing setting equivalent to OEM CDI with stator plate just above the middle mark between that and the upper stock stator plate markings would be a good rain setting with the 5000+ or 6000+ RPM timing set for maximum high rpm power still. The potentiometers make things much more customizable for these sorts of needs vs those who ride fast wide open trails exclusively, or MX tracks. It is a woods bike after all! But as SS109 said early on, it is nice to have the adjustability to accommodate different engine setups and different pipes.
Last edited by Chuck78 on 10:02 pm Feb 02 2023, edited 2 times in total.
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

MoonStomper wrote: 08:22 am Oct 11 2022 Mine is still available for sale! My bike kicks back occasionally (with the stock cdi & stator setting) if I’m not careful. With the mod CDI it’s just too much no matter what stator setting I use. For the riding I’m doing I’m going to stick with my stock one until this next advancement in the cdi design comes along.

BTW, SS109… special request - add a ‘mud’ map with a handlebar switch to the Bravo design!

MoonStomper, you're selling yours? I might be interested in trying that thing out, although SS109 I'd still want to buy the updated version when it becomes available...

Were you adjusting the physical stator plate timing as well as dialing the potentiometers to various settings when playing with it? and it STILL had too much kickback no matter what I assume? With the kickback tendencies, does that always mean the thing had lightning fast response on the low/mid rpm range?
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

It’s still for sale and it really does deliver that power, but my bike will occasionally kick back with the oem cdi and this made it harder and more frequent which I just can’t get used to especially racing in the woods and always in a hurry. Happy to sell it if you want it.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yup. Someone needs to buy the one MoonStomper has.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Decided to finally get after making a proper mount for this thing! I thought long about where to mount it, since I run my air box lidless, the stock CDI was located on the front of the box by the shock. There is a good chunk of space up there. I didn’t want to mount it there for a couple reasons, namely I wanted it hidden away for that OEM look. I decided to mount it at the rear of the airbox, near the voltage regulator. There is already a spare bolt hole on the frame that can be used. This required clearancing the airbox, so I removed it, trimmed along the casting line, and reinstalled. Yes, I know the air filter is dirty. This adjustable unit is quite a bit larger than stock, not a knock on it at all, I know the components are skookum, just need to be creative on where to mount it.

Now to fab up a bracket. Had some 3” aluminum L, looks like it’ll work.
31862BAF-E8F0-4972-98D9-37FCA696EF84.jpeg
31862BAF-E8F0-4972-98D9-37FCA696EF84.jpeg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 9541 times
Spent some time on the mill, drilled and tapped some mounting holes, and about two hours later, voila!
17C6C91A-DB86-438E-B528-3F4EC85ED6BE.jpeg
17C6C91A-DB86-438E-B528-3F4EC85ED6BE.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 9541 times
973B3B5C-7A4D-46D3-BAAB-A68BAD6B3D0B.jpeg
973B3B5C-7A4D-46D3-BAAB-A68BAD6B3D0B.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 9541 times
B6B033B3-8578-4D4C-B555-0EB5D47B57F7.jpeg
B6B033B3-8578-4D4C-B555-0EB5D47B57F7.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 9541 times
55BB825F-6BB0-4CDB-97DD-87FCF12D8D6A.jpeg
55BB825F-6BB0-4CDB-97DD-87FCF12D8D6A.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 9541 times
Last edited by Slick_Nick on 10:51 pm Oct 14 2022, edited 1 time in total.
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I can’t just leave it bare aluminum like that, so decided to prep and anodize it black. I used some letter punches to mark which adjustment dial is high or low, then hit it on the scotchbrite wheel. Turned out alright, I didn’t spend too much time on it, it’s just a bracket that’s hidden away anyways. Stainless mounting hardware, with lock washers because of the vibration.
24690CF4-FA31-4B19-9B04-C08FD6190BE4.jpeg
24690CF4-FA31-4B19-9B04-C08FD6190BE4.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 9540 times
DCE569E0-498C-4D8F-9D5D-28063908871E.jpeg
DCE569E0-498C-4D8F-9D5D-28063908871E.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 9540 times
8C49509E-DB4D-47B0-9441-88B6ABB9AC4C.jpeg
8C49509E-DB4D-47B0-9441-88B6ABB9AC4C.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 9540 times
7379903A-6684-4B82-924F-DA533DE64BDE.jpeg
7379903A-6684-4B82-924F-DA533DE64BDE.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 9540 times
B9D8188D-0A1E-4CD7-8401-E4622C3246F9.jpeg
B9D8188D-0A1E-4CD7-8401-E4622C3246F9.jpeg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 9540 times
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

All mounted up! Plenty of room for me to get that dirty filter in and out, and the adjustment dials are accessible from the outside, I’ll just need to remove the side number plate. I didn’t originally intend to leave the dials accessible, I don’t see a need to tune them once I’ve found a setting I like, but the option is there and it was a simple slot cut with the mill.
F4622A0D-9835-4F92-8030-72262C04E2B8.jpeg
F4622A0D-9835-4F92-8030-72262C04E2B8.jpeg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 9539 times
4747CA1C-2522-4358-988D-6FF0A73EC330.jpeg
4747CA1C-2522-4358-988D-6FF0A73EC330.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 9539 times
16170C59-B8D6-45E0-AC3D-577366BF1F68.jpeg
16170C59-B8D6-45E0-AC3D-577366BF1F68.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 9539 times
E6B887EE-603D-4841-80AC-D50FCC3F0017.jpeg
E6B887EE-603D-4841-80AC-D50FCC3F0017.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 9539 times
Last edited by Slick_Nick on 10:58 pm Oct 14 2022, edited 1 time in total.
'00 KDX 220R