1997 Resale Question

Got questions? We got answers....
cbova

1997 Resale Question

Post by cbova »

So if any of you have followed my few previous few posts. I acquired a 97 (220R) basket case. I have it 100% running and riding (except lights, which is tomorrow's project). I'm considering selling it (or trading for/toward XR250/400). Re-plated cylinder, Wiseco piston/needle bearing, new crank bearings, all new seals/gaskets, new mechanical seal, new kick starter spring and pawl, New air filter, Chain and sprockets good but not new. I have about 5 hours run time on the engine, tight and done right, 2-3 kicks cold any day, pulls like a freight train. Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. Rear tire pretty worn, could use suspension bearings; only the top tier buyer will pick up on the suspension bearings, it's not like the swingarm is falling off. Here's the question. I have about $1800 into the bike (including purchase a year ago). Do I replace the rear tire and suspension bearings (~$170 parts cost, but you know that) and expect to get more money or do I sell "as is"? I'm not looking to get rich but if I can make a few hundred I'd be happy. Not worried about labor, I do it myself and I quite enjoy it. Location is southern, NH. Bike is a 20 footer (looks great from 20 feet away), been spray bombed green by one of the previous owners, plastics there but mounting holes wallowed out, etc...

List for $2300/obo as is, or do tire and suspension bearings and list for 2500/obo? Or am I going to lose my shirt either way (if i can't get 2k, I'll keep it)

Thanks
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 1997 Resale Question

Post by rungrandpa »

I would put it on the market. I'd tell the prospective buyer what I thought it needs and see what happens. If someone wants to buy it you won't be able to stop them. I've seen some pretty nice KDX's for sale at $2500 for 4 weeks on Facebook.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I'd tell them everything right and wrong with it and let it go. Someone looking at a 25 year old bike should expect some concerns. List high and come down.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Post a picture and it might help the forum folks give you a better idea.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

KDXs generally don't have the best resale, which once you ride one makes no sense. If you break it down, they ran about $4500 retail, so if you were to get 2k for it, you'd probably doing pretty dang good. The bike is about to be 25 years old and as you noted, not in the most pristine visual appearance, which should be expected. For reference pre covid I bought a 04 KDX 200 that was as new as you can probably find for $3k. I would say if you do not plan on keeping it for the long haul, ask $2k while being transparent. Try to settle at $1800 and walk away breaking even. I know some people can make money off dirt bikes, but the only time I've come close was on 5 hour 2020 YZ250F that I put 1.5 hours on and then sold it during the hot covid market. With taxes, title, and registration out here in CA, I probably just broke even. Whether its a snowmobile, dirt bike, truck etc, I always try to mitigate loss, but realistically know that it will depreciate over the life I have it and thus I will lose some money. It is just part of it, but if you enjoy riding and tinkering on these types of things, then you accept it and move on to the next. Just keep the losses to a minimum and don't tell the wife lol!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200