Two tubes in one rim for puncture relief?

Got questions? We got answers....
99sr220
Supporting Member

Two tubes in one rim for puncture relief?

Post by 99sr220 »

A while ago I got a puncture, we stopped at a local mechanic, but he didn't have the correct width, so we put two smaller tubes in and inflated both. I kept riding the rest of the day without problems, then forgot about the two tubes and rode the next weekend with them still in. It worked fine.

This had me thinking whether I could run two tubes always, with one possibly deflated, this could then be inflated in case of a puncture. As I am normally carrying tubes there would be no extra weight.

This seems like such a simple solution, I'm sure there's something wrong with it. Any thoughts?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Two tubes in one rim for puncture relief?

Post by Slick_Nick »

Seems like a lot of opportunity for tube on tube friction to me. I wouldn't do it long term. I've seen old tubes cut up and used as a liner inside the tire before a new tube is inserted for abrasion resistance.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, I agree with Nick. Long term I don't think it would be a good idea for the reason he mentioned.

IMO, if you're going to keep running tubes, only use Bridgestone UHD tubes. Yeah, they're heavy as hell but they are the best tube available for protection against punctures and pinch flats. My buddy has over 10 years riding and racing in the hostile AZ desert on them with only one flat ever due to a soft 2 ply tire and a huge 3" thorn. I'm currently running one on the rear on my KDX at 8psi and ride at race pace on it. Like I said, best tube ever!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

rubber abrasion would be an issue

does one drill another hole in a rim for another valve stem?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:46 pm Oct 30 2021 rubber abrasion would be an issue

I'm wondering how that would be done too?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:46 pm Oct 30 2021 rubber abrasion would be an issue

I guess you could possibly add some sort of lube or talcum powder (of course, don't get it wet!) to stop the abrasion problem?

Sure, drill another hole 180 degrees from the other. Hell, air them both up so if one goes the other is still holding at least some air! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I would guess they stuck the extra valve stem out through the hole where the rim stopper (bead lock) went? If so risky running with out the tire lock in place. I went to Tubliss (which is basically like two tubes, but for different reasons) and will NEVER put another tube in my tires, well worth the price for me.

Would be an interesting study to see if 2 tubes side by side suffered from any friction issues, I would expect they might, but to what degree I don't know.

Of course, with the cost of tubes being so low (and the difference in price between normal and HD ones just a few dollars) why would you double the weight for unknown gain? Then again, OP is in Thailand, so run what you can get :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have pulled apart quite a few tires and tubes. Rubber shavings are not rare. No way I would ever run two tubes.

They have a massive amount of rubber in Thailand. I hope the tubes are cheaper than here.

Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty ain't cheap!! :-(
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

FWIW I never had a pinch flat after switching to Kenda Tuff Tubes. I don’t ride the desert but I do (did) ride in the rock strewn NC mountains and at Zinc Ranch in Tulsa. I ran 8-9 psi.
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

When I used two tubes we removed the rim stopper. As mentioned, this is Thailand and often we have to be resourceful, but it's good mechanics are so easy to find. The UHD aren't available, not even sure about HD.

Most likely I will go tubliss, they're available but relatively expensive. I've read lots of good things, but also the occasional comment from ppl who hate them and have gone back to tubes.

I still think the two tube idea may have merit, it's so simple. In Thailand there's a bike mechanic on every street corner, even in the countryside. It would be easy enough to check and change if necessary due to damage from friction. It would cost little here. The only problem would be drilling a new hole so you could keep the rim lock...
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

99sr220 wrote: 09:25 am Nov 01 2021 When I used two tubes we removed the rim stopper. As mentioned, this is Thailand and often we have to be resourceful, but it's good mechanics are so easy to find. The UHD aren't available, not even sure about HD.

Most likely I will go tubliss, they're available but relatively expensive. I've read lots of good things, but also the occasional comment from ppl who hate them and have gone back to tubes.

I still think the two tube idea may have merit, it's so simple. In Thailand there's a bike mechanic on every street corner, even in the countryside. It would be easy enough to check and change if necessary due to damage from friction. It would cost little here. The only problem would be drilling a new hole so you could keep the rim lock...
If it's that easy to check and change a tube, why not just run one tube and change it if it goes flat?

I still think two tubes in the tire is a dumb idea.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have a 2-ply, 4-ply or 6-ply tire?
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I run the kenda Tuff tubes as well, never had a flat other than from old campfire fire nails, then this...

I spun the valve stem on a new rear tire of my XR 650r and flatted 40 miles out, I zip tied the tire to the rim and carefully rode the Stiff sidewall Sedona 907 all the way back home on rocky jeep roads. (Tire didn't even break from the bead and the Tube still holds air.)

Figuring the rim lock just wasn't tight enough, I looked at the KDX valve stem and it was slipping as well. I had just mounted new tires on both machines and can only attribute it to trying out a specially tire mounting bead paste for the first time. Possibly the river crossings had reactivated the gel and cause the slippage, needless to say, I don't plan on using that stuff again.