Rattle at speed under load (not KIPS?)

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rattle at speed under load (not KIPS?)

Post by SS109 »

emmett wrote: 05:28 am Jun 02 2021 What made you know the 9 plug was too cold? too much carbon buildup? Wouldnt load up as quickly? I will have to get one. would i have to mess with my jetting/mixture so I'm not running to lean with the hotter plug? I dont think im nearly too lean right now, but i also dont want a hole in my cylinder!

"foreverun moto" is the cheap ebay organic pads I got after Goofaroo recommended them. Im excited to try them, but ive got rotor work to figure out before I can. I think ill order the tusk rear rotor at least, and see what I can do with the front to clean it up. I like brakes with good bite, but willing to compromise a little on the front brake as long as ive got decent modulation.

weve got some a muddy spring but mostly loamy, roots and rocks. Pretty easy to avoid the muck and sand here in NH.
For me it was all the old timer KDX riders that told me the 8 was the way to go. I had just gotten in the sport after an 18 year hiatus from dirt bikes. I believe KDXgarage was one of those guys along with a slew of others. I put a lot of hours (well over 1000) on my E-series bike and never fouled a plug or had any issues like hard starting, spooge, detonation, or anything else bad when running the BR8ES plugs. So, I figured they must have been right, and the plug always had that beautiful mocha color and, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. BTW, that was riding everything from hike-a-bike technical terrain to motocross and I even rode it to work daily!

If you like brakes that bite then the organics aren't the best choice. Sintered pads bite a lot harder, are less affected my mud and sand, and last longer than organics. However, I think organics give way better modulation due to their initial bite not being as hard.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Now you’ve got me curious to look at my plugs. I have never fouled a plug in my 87 model since I rebuilt it and it has a BR9ES as specified by Kawasaki. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever pulled the plug since I installed it about 10 years ago. Same on my 92 E Model. It hasn’t been ridden nearly as much but I have not removed the BR9ES since I installed it about 9 years ago. Both run very crisp on pump gas at 50:1. 87 is 100% stock including jetting. The 92 has a FMF pipe and silencer, slightly different jetting,!and the airbox lid removed.

You guys are far more knowledgeable on KDX specific info than I am so you’re probably right. I can’t say I have had any problems but you’ve got me curious to see what my plugs look like.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Goofaroo, not everyone pins the throttle like you. :-)

If someone with a 1995+ want to throw a "9" in their scooter and report back, then please do so.

emmett, that tip is from a Kawasaki dealer service bulletin, if you want some "they made it, they must be right" info. I believe almost everything they say, though. I am not saying I am smarter than a company that has been making motorcycles since before I was born. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
emmett

Post by emmett »

SS109 wrote: 04:22 pm Jun 02 2021
emmett wrote: 05:28 am Jun 02 2021 What made you know the 9 plug was too cold? too much carbon buildup? Wouldnt load up as quickly? I will have to get one. would i have to mess with my jetting/mixture so I'm not running to lean with the hotter plug? I dont think im nearly too lean right now, but i also dont want a hole in my cylinder!

"foreverun moto" is the cheap ebay organic pads I got after Goofaroo recommended them. Im excited to try them, but ive got rotor work to figure out before I can. I think ill order the tusk rear rotor at least, and see what I can do with the front to clean it up. I like brakes with good bite, but willing to compromise a little on the front brake as long as ive got decent modulation.

weve got some a muddy spring but mostly loamy, roots and rocks. Pretty easy to avoid the muck and sand here in NH.
For me it was all the old timer KDX riders that told me the 8 was the way to go. I had just gotten in the sport after an 18 year hiatus from dirt bikes. I believe KDXgarage was one of those guys along with a slew of others. I put a lot of hours (well over 1000) on my E-series bike and never fouled a plug or had any issues like hard starting, spooge, detonation, or anything else bad when running the BR8ES plugs. So, I figured they must have been right, and the plug always had that beautiful mocha color and, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. BTW, that was riding everything from hike-a-bike technical terrain to motocross and I even rode it to work daily!

If you like brakes that bite then the organics aren't the best choice. Sintered pads bite a lot harder, are less affected my mud and sand, and last longer than organics. However, I think organics give way better modulation due to their initial bite not being as hard.
I am excited to try the organic pads and see how I like them. Im sure they will do just fine for my riding. I will definitely get a #8 plug for it too. You guys seem to only have good things to say about it!

Thanks for the info!
emmett

Post by emmett »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:27 pm Jun 02 2021 Goofaroo, not everyone pins the throttle like you. :-)

If someone with a 1995+ want to throw a "9" in their scooter and report back, then please do so.

emmett, that tip is from a Kawasaki dealer service bulletin, if you want some "they made it, they must be right" info. I believe almost everything they say, though. I am not saying I am smarter than a company that has been making motorcycles since before I was born. :-)
I trust that you know what you're talking about :wink:

Just passed my motorcycle test today, and once I get this bike sorted and wired up Ill be able to get some good seat time!
emmett

Post by emmett »

pumpguy wrote: 01:12 pm Jun 02 2021
Off topic here, but re your choice of hydraulic rear brake light switch, may I recommend a mechanical type? That mysterious half washer welded to your frame on the right side is there for holding a mechanical rear brake light switch. Much easier to rig up than the hydraulic type. Don't have to tap into the hydraulic circuit. This is from experience, been there & done that.
Just got home and there doesnt appear to be any half washer welded to the frame :hmm:

I guess hydraulic it is. Ive already got one on order and need to bleed the brakes anyhow so I think Ill go that route. I appreciate the suggestion though. And let me know if I'm just not seeing the half washer haha.
emmett

Post by emmett »

About to remove front wheel, and noticed this. Looks like someone jammed a flathead in the fork where the axle slides in, and did some damage. Doesnt seem structurally compromising how it is, but is it worth getting welded to prevent the crack from spreading?
BD839DF5-44B6-4BF3-ACA4-1791F78192E6.jpeg
BD839DF5-44B6-4BF3-ACA4-1791F78192E6.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

I am not sure how well welding on a fully assembled fork would go.
emmett

Post by emmett »

KDXGarage wrote: 06:39 pm Jun 02 2021 I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

I am not sure how well welding on a fully assembled fork would go.
Okay will do. It seems like its only the real thin piece at the edge thats cracked. If i did weld it I could weld it with the axle out, and just dremel it to make it look factory... or at least the same shape as factory :mrgreen:

Maybe someday!
emmett

Post by emmett »

My shitty allen keys couldnt get the front rotor off so i sanded the outside decently and barely touched the wheel side of the rotor. Sanded my brake pads to see if theyd bite at all in the meantime while I wait for my new pads.

Ill either get allen bits for my milwaukee impact driver, or replace my husky T handle allens with something more rigid. Even with a fair amount of heat the allens were bending like twizzlers. Ill need to get that rotor off and cleaned up before the new pads go in.

one pad sanded and one not. that glazing could be part of my problem!
62EA45E5-475D-49A4-B543-F7D8C0BD8FDA.jpeg
62EA45E5-475D-49A4-B543-F7D8C0BD8FDA.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 2128 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, that glazing is no help.

Look up hand impact driver (used with impact rated hex key sockets)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check to see if you have all of these parts for the top of the kickstarter.

I don't think a copper washer is a good idea, as it will deform and allow slop. There is already some as evidenced from the pic showing wear on the corner. The top of the nut has worn down from contact, also.

emmett

Post by emmett »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:46 pm Jun 02 2021 Yeah, that glazing is no help.

Look up hand impact driver (used with impact rated hex key sockets)
Ive got one! Ive only got philips and slotted bits for it though. I will get sockets and use that instead. Good idea
emmett

Post by emmett »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:11 am Jun 03 2021 Check to see if you have all of these parts for the top of the kickstarter.

I don't think a copper washer is a good idea, as it will deform and allow slop. There is already some as evidenced from the pic showing wear on the corner. The top of the nut has worn down from contact, also.

I was wondering if that was a bad idea. The washer I pulled off of there was a deformed alum crush washer, but I wasnt sure if that was original or not. Ill get a steel washer for that.

Ive got everything there except what looks like O-rings (92055) that go on the little knob before sliding the kick lever on. Can you confirm that those are O-rings?

Edit: found the diagram and yes theyre O-rings. I will pick some up along with the washer and a new C clip

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the strange and terrifying world of "Previous Owner Modified" motorcycles / cars / bicycles. That aluminum washer is what helped lead to the kickstarter being worn like it is. I strongly suggest you get the exact part from the dealer and install it.

Here's a link to the page I got that from. You can look up every section of your bike and see what it looked like when new.

Man, sorry some previous owner did that to the bike. They did save $5 or so though! :roll: