Fast Freddy Quick Needle Question

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fast Freddy Quick Needle Question

Post by SS109 »

Trying to check your float height visually is like spitting into the wind, it just doesn't work! LOL! You need to know where it is set as it literally affects the way the engine runs. However, since you're getting it to run better, that's good and it might not be a factor. Good on the jet block gasket.

Not returning to idle quickly normally indicates a lean hang. So you're saying you are on the very bottom clip position? If so, I would say you would need to go up to a 148 main or change needles.

Considering the jet sizes you're running, erratic idle, and it still has a lean hang, I strongly suggest doing a leak down test to see if you have an air leak somewhere.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Agreed with SS. Check that float height, and set to 18mm *NOT FACTORY SPEC* but a bunch of us here run that and it works like a hot damn!

Float height is kinda the foundation. It can throw every other jetting setting off. Start there, and while you're in there go back to a 38 pilot and see if that helps. Luckily the PWK is super easy to swap jets in. You should see what I had to do to get at my FCR....
'00 KDX 220R
Fast freddy

Post by Fast freddy »

Ok guys . I'm making a leak down checker and I'll measure the float. . I don't think I have a 148 main . I'll have to look but I'll get started on everything and let ya know. 18 mm correct? From the base to the top of the float? And for the leak down , how much pressure ?
Fast freddy

Post by Fast freddy »

Ok guys . I'm making a leak down checker and I'll measure the float. . I don't think I have a 148 main . I'll have to look but I'll get started on everything and let ya know. 18 mm correct? From the base to the top of the float? And for the leak down , how much pressure ?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Leak down for the cylinder or jet block gasket?
'00 KDX 220R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

leak down don't exceed 5 psi
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

How'd it work out Freddy?
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

All this jetting talk convinced me to get after mine again. It seemed like I was suddenly super rich on the pilot circuit for some reason. (With a 38). On my last ride I started getting a ton of spooge all of a sudden, and the bike ran like **** especially on a long hill climb, it would just die. Got home, ripped it apart, and found I had chipped the corner of one of my VForce reeds. Threw in a new spare I had around, and decided what the hell, let's try a 35 pilot. I went to a 38 a couple years ago, and can't remember why, but let's give it a whirl. Now I have an RB air striker with a 35 pilot, DEK on #2, and 148 main. I live at 4000' and ride up to 8000' mostly, but can go higher on occasion. Fired right up, and at 2.25 turns out on the air screw she's nice and crisp. Going for a bush ride with the KDX tomorrow, will report back on the smaller main and pilot combination. I'll have to fiddle with the air screw to find the SSS again! If the pilot works out, I may drop to a 145 main and a richer clip and see how that works.
'00 KDX 220R
Fast freddy

Post by Fast freddy »

Hey Nick. I haven't done a leakdown yet but my jetting is close I think. A little on the rich side as it smokes a bit. It starts good idles good , pulls hard off the bottom but I feel like top of midrange is a little flat. I'm used to riding my cr500's though . Thinkin bout tryin an electron but they're spendy...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

220's are kind of flat on top unless you get the head done, go to the bigger carb, and run the desert pipe.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Fast freddy

Post by Fast freddy »

Good to know
Thanks alot. I plan on doin the head mod this fall when the snow flies. I just need to remember it's only a 220. For what it is I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I think I'll go up a tooth or two In the back and 2nd gear will be perfect in the tight stuff. We do alot of night riding in the mountains do I run an aftermarket headlight and a light bar as well. Plenty of light that way. Thanks again guys
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

For what it's worth, my last jetting change worked amazingly. The 35 pilot was perfect for me at 4000-6000'. Still have a 148 main, but I think I'll try a 145.

Might wanna try those and see if it helps ya!
'00 KDX 220R