Phenolic caliper pistons

Got questions? We got answers....
hi-def

Phenolic caliper pistons

Post by hi-def »

Hi all
I'm doing a rebuild on my 90 kdx200sr calipers as they are sticking a bit. The pistons are the phenolic type, do these typically give problems as they get older? I'm just wondering if a seal kit would be adequate or if I should find some stainless steel pistons too.
Cheerd
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Phenolic caliper pistons

Post by Goofaroo »

Have you disassembled the calipers and looked at the bores? The pistons? If they look good they’re probably just fine but this is the first I’ve heard of a brake caliper having phenolic pistons.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The seals are 32 years old minimum. I suggest fully disassembling and inspecting.

I think the pistons are phenolic, though I am not too sure what that means. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:56 am Apr 28 2021 The seals are 32 years old minimum. I suggest fully disassembling and inspecting.

I think the pistons are phenolic, though I am not too sure what that means. :grin:
Phenolic is a composite type of material. I wouldn’t think it would be used for caliper pistons. It machines nicely though and is stylish way to make custom parts such as instrument panels.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44467086?seq=1

The picture on this page shows almost exactly what a KDX rear caliper piston looks like. It's apparently phenolic, as I have had them out before, including a chipped one from some nimrod (previous owner)

http://www.safebraking.com/tech-why-are ... c-plastic/
hi-def

Post by hi-def »

Here's a pic, I assumed they were phenolic but I know they definitely are not metal.

The bores look good, nice and clean.
The front caliper pistons look good but the rear is showing some abrasion, it wasn't enough to cause a leak but I suspect it is the cause of the dragging pads. I have seen a few recommendations online so will try giving it a polish with some superfine paint polish I have and see how it turns out.
Last edited by hi-def on 05:45 am Feb 01 2023, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

From my reading knowledge, the number one drag is worn brake pins. What is the condition of the pins on your calipers?
hi-def

Post by hi-def »

The pins have lost their zinc coating in parts, they are still smooth but will be getting replaced too.
When popping the rear piston out I had to turn up the psi on my air compressor as it wasn't coming out.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

This is all new to me. I don’t think I have ever come across a caliper piston that wasn’t metal. Very interesting.
Like KDXGarage said, drag is primarily caused by the pins. If the caliper can’t float properly it will make them feel horrible. The caliper needs to be thoroughly and lubricated properly with brake grease to bring it back to it’s original glory.
hi-def

Post by hi-def »

Thanks for the info, I will make sure to grease the pins and fill the rubber boots too.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

In my experience with a dragging rear brake, it was due to a gunk buildup in the caliper cylinder. Had a hell of a time getting the piston out.

Once all cleaned up and new seals and pins fitted, everything now works as it should.