Handlebar misalignment problems.

Got questions? We got answers....
xdemail4@gmail.com

Handlebar misalignment problems.

Post by xdemail4@gmail.com »

Ive been having problems with my handlebar misalignment after I fall every now and then
When it happens, the forks are still straight but from the rubber bushings connecting to the handlebar they tend to bend around, I tried replacing them but that didn't really help.
I'll take a closer look tomorrow and try to purposefully misalign it but I'm just posting here in-case someone has some advice.
I'm thinking it could be the spacers causing issues, they came with when I bought the bike because theres a fat bar on there, I have a stock one lying around so I could go and get the top mounts for them and switch out the handlebar.
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1845 times
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Handlebar misalignment problems.

Post by SS109 »

The bar adapter/risers will provide more leverage in a crash which results in the bars tweaking easier. You can buy replacement bar mounts that are stock height (or close to it) that fit the 1 1/8" bars and eliminate the adapters/risers altogether. Also, you can try increasing the torque of the bar clamp bolts which will also help reduce the tendency for them to twist. There might possibly be some solid aluminum cones available that would fit to replace the rubber bushing in the top clamp and that will help as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Aluminum cones will help, but you'll get a bit more bar buzz in the process. Another thing that helps is a solid top clamp like this.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Loosen the bolts, adjust it to where you want it and try again.

The one piece top clamp is the best solution. FRP Offroad made a one piece for 7/8 " bars. A KX clamp of certain years could also be used on 7/8 " bars. Hopefully, someone makes a one piece clamp for the 1 1/8 " bars.

Does the clutch cable still do OK in that shape?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Solid aluminum cones are definitely available from RMATV/MC. I use them and it seems to solve the problem (in all but the hardest of crashes, in which case I found I didn’t care about the damn bars at the moment.). They do transmit more vibration buzz into the bars but I don’t find that to be an issue.
xdemail4@gmail.com

Post by xdemail4@gmail.com »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:20 pm Apr 26 2021 Loosen the bolts, adjust it to where you want it and try again.

The one piece top clamp is the best solution. FRP Offroad made a one piece for 7/8 " bars. A KX clamp of certain years could also be used on 7/8 " bars. Hopefully, someone makes a one piece clamp for the 1 1/8 " bars.

Does the clutch cable still do OK in that shape?
Yeah the clutch cable does fine, I've got both size handlebars in the garage. I think im gonna try to buy both size mounts, and see If i can find aluminum cones aswell and try them out to if they not too expensive, gonna try them out without spacers and see what I like the most.
Only question is if i can find these parts, its tricky here in South Africa without phoning around.
Anyways, thanks guys, I think I have a good idea of what to do now and what's causing the issue.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When shopping, keep in mind that 2005 and newer KX250 bolt spacing is wider than the regular 80's / 90's.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Other than treelimb, those that know me well and even those that barely know me or even of me, refer to me as "2cent". I do not mind sharing 2cents worth of what I'm thinking. I'm thinking you need to replace that clutch cable. Cables always break in the most untimely of places and areas.

Keep us posted on your handlebar remedy as I'm interested because I will be updating my set soon.