What part is this?

Got questions? We got answers....
cbova

What part is this?

Post by cbova »

Getting ready put the KDX (1997 220) back together. Trying to get all the parts I'll need in hand or on order. When I took the clutch cover off the KIPS lever, the allen screws, and this mystery pin were sitting in the bottom of the case. Looks like the allen screws just unscrewed (the engine was "rebuilt" by the previous owner). What is the other pin? Don't see it in the KIPS diagrams, don't have it in front of me at the moment to see if it looks broken or not. Someone must know what it is.

Thanks
Attachments
Inked20201228_173630_LI.jpg
Inked20201228_173630_LI.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 2454 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: What part is this?

Post by KDXGarage »

oops.png
oops.png (509.7 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What you have there appears to be an intact KIPS pin and a broken pin, and 2 loose screws because the PO, when they replaced the broken pin, likely didn't use any threadlock or thoroughly inspect for the initial broken pin.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

manual, WHATEVER, BRO!!, said the previous owner(s)
cbova

Post by cbova »

Now that you flip the image over... the consensus is a failed KIPS linkage? I, however, did buy a legal copy of the manual and like to think I have some semblance of a brain between my ears. This engine was a painfully obvious, textbook example of a terrible "rebuild". Seal lips folded in, gaskets mis-aligned, coolant bleed screw missing, KIPS parts in the crankcase etc. I sent the cylinder to Millennium for repair/replate new Wiseco piston, new crank bearings and seals, full gasket set with seals. Should be able to get started on the assembly this week. Debating on swing arm/ shock bearings while I have it apart. Only hesitating because I already have a ton of money in this bike and haven't swung a leg over it yet.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There have been several people over the years on here where a previous owner broke it. You can do a search to find some of the old threads.

Holding the mechanism with a wrench (open end or adjustable) before loosening the left hand thread nut helps out. A lot of people that don't use the manual crack the nut since it is left hand thread or over do it and break the pin that is inside the outer case.

On the bearings, have you already checked them out?
cbova

Post by cbova »

Ahh, that makes sense. Based on what I saw I can see that.

Swing arm bearings are dirty but probable salvageable. It would be quicker to replace them than to clean and re-lube but I'm pretty cheap so we'll see. I'm in this deep I'm inclined to go all the way.

THanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If they are good, then clean and regrease. Grab an old toothbrush and give it a spin in the bearings and sleeves.

The bearings are not cheap, especially the linkage. The quickest wearing one is the one that goes through the linkage, for the bottom shock bolt.
cbova

Post by cbova »

Got into it a little more today found that the KIPS shaft retaining bolt broken off in the hole. I managed to drill it out and get the remnants of the pin out. Then I discovered one of the trust washers in the transmission was damaged. Then I found the treads in the crank were slightly buggered. Not terrible but not something I'd run a nut on without chasing it. I'm sure I did this splitting the cases tapping on the nut to get the crank out of the bearing, shame on me. Is the thread a common size that I could buy a die for?

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

wow, used dirt bike fun! :rolleyes:

Would a rethread die help it?
cbova

Post by cbova »

LOL, right now it's just the challenge to get it together and hear it run that'll be a victory, it's the last of my fleet that doesn't run. My boy finished his TTR125 today, my daughter was ripping her XR70 around the yard, and her old JR50 runs like a top ready to sell.

Yes, the threads are still there, just need to be chased. I die would certainly fix it, is there a thread chaser tool? If it's a standard pitch I'll buy a die. I can try to measure the pitch tomorrow but I'm sure someone here knows.
Attachments
IMG_5212.jpg
IMG_5212.jpg (334.14 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Some place may sell just the one you need, but here is a kit that is what I am talking about. It just reshapes, not remove material.

A metric thread file might be useful, depending on how bad it is damaged.
cbova

Post by cbova »

In case anyone is wondering, it's M16x1.0. I bought a die and was able to clean up the threads. The new nut ant thrust washer should arrive tomorrow so the crank is chilling in the freezer for the night. Hopefully I can get the cases back together this weekend.
Attachments
20210422_195046.jpg
20210422_195046.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 2257 times
20210422_194602.jpg
20210422_194602.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 2257 times