clutch wear on kdx220r

Got questions? We got answers....
Craig KDX220r

clutch wear on kdx220r

Post by Craig KDX220r »

**not the important part ** Hello this is my first post after finally getting to rebuild and ride a kdx220 that my dad bought years ago that had a water pump failure, and was commonly run on both salt flats and beach front. As you might imagine this left the bike very rusty, i had to replace every bushing and bearing both inside and outside the engine and clean and "de-rust" the original parts like the gears. after putting it all together I have a super tight gear box (always want to hit neutral) and a list of complaints and loves about my fresh baby.

**important part**
this leads me to my recent dilemma. after about 150km of forest riding I noticed that the clutch pull wasn't fully designating the clutch, after testing the cable, and using a shifting spanner to fully swing the lever arm I noticed that it was a problem inside.

after removing the cover it became obvious that the as kdx parts house puts it "LEVER-COMP,CLUTCH REL" had rolled its edge. to fix this i replaced the washer behind the pusher pin thing to a slightly thicker one (0.3mm thicker).

I was wondering has anyone had this issue before and if so is this the right way to fix it?

now when the clutch is in if the rear wheel is in the air it does start to spin the tire. but full clutch out there is very slight play in the engine case lever. is this normal/ ok if not any suggestions? I do plan on shortening the clutch lever to get a bit more pull.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: clutch wear on kdx220r

Post by bufftester »

Yes, that is the right fix. If you notice, the quantity is not listed on that particular washer (p/n 92022-1181, 10X14.5X1.0 ). Some bikes don't need it, some do, and some need 2. If the edge of the lever rod is rolled (I assume the sharp edge is rounded off?) then that would be an acceptable way to overcome it. As for the second question, if you support the bike and start it, on KDXs (and most other 2Ts I have owned from that era) the rear wheel will spin even with the clutch pulled in. The amount will vary from bike to bike, but they all do it. You don't notice it much if you're on the bike with it running and let the clutch out in neutral, but put it in gear, kill the engine and pull the clutch and it will be difficult to roll. Perfectly normal on KDXs
jake33974

Post by jake33974 »

does anyone have a photo or manual picture of the assembled clutch for 2001 kdx220r. just wondering if pics i saw of assembled clutch actually accurate with last friction disk in shorter notch of basket grooves?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I believe that every motorcycle would spin the rear wheel in gear with the clutch in, tire off the ground.

The service manual shows the last friction plate in the other slot of the clutch basket like the picture you saw.