selling 2000 KDX 220R

Got questions? We got answers....
Hclarkdx

selling 2000 KDX 220R

Post by Hclarkdx »

Hello, I've been thinking about letting go my KDX, I bought it in good condition and since then I've rebuilt that bike essentially from the bottom up. wiseco piston, brand new FMF woods exhaust, new dual sport tires, new rims/ spokes, JD jetting, Moto Tassanari V force 3 reeds, new gaskets, complete carb rebuild, new clutch and clutch lever, new brakes, new fork boots, new headlight with LED high and low beam, complete street legal setup and its plated, pro taper handlebars, and ODI grips, endurance 2 speedometer that also tracks hours and miles/ride times, really only thing that's not new is the paint on the frame and the plastics. only about 25 miles on the rebuild and 5 of which is pushing it around and out of a trail when my crank seal blew, (which is also completely replaced and setup for my modifications by a speed shop). I have over 5k in just making it new again with all the bells and whistles. I'm not super eager to get rid of it and I know I'm not going to break even when selling just because of what it is. For what type of rider I am a KTM or Husky would be ideal for me. What would you pay for this setup? all work is professionally done.
Hclarkdx

Re: selling 2000 KDX 220R

Post by Hclarkdx »

I should also mention its never been abused. I've only lightly ridden it on dirt roads and the previous owner used it to putt around and follow his kids.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Depends on the part of the country you're in. And "eesentially" from the bottom up, or actually from the bottom up? Since you blew the crank seal, did you have them split the cases and go through all the bottom end bearings? Here in the PNW you might get as much as 3k, but more likely in the 2.2-2.5k range. These bikes will do everything a KTM or Husky will do if set up correctly.
Hclarkdx

Post by Hclarkdx »

Besides a few stock things like engine block, frame and forks, everything’s new. I’m in the Pnw, my shop split the case and did the entire bottom end. The bike runs and rides brand new.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If you have receipts for everything showing you rebuilt the crank, new rod and bearings, etc, and it looks good, you might be able to push between $2.5-3k in the current market. Seems to be a sellers market right now.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Owyhee1

Post by Owyhee1 »

I’ve been on kdx’s for the last dozen years. I’ve owned 3) 200’s, and 2) 220’s. I recently sold my 200 for $2900, first day. I will keep my 220 just because. I bought a 2018 KTM 250 xcw, which does everything my kdx’s did, and way more. I don’t want to start something here, but that is my experience. I don’t ride the KTM any faster, but it’s just way easier for me. My KDX’s had no engine mods, just pipes. Other than cost, it’s all upside.
Hclarkdx

Post by Hclarkdx »

i am selling mainly because it is a hassle for me to dual sport on road.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Setting up a KDX to be a road legal dual sport is not an impossible task, just a bit time consuming. Head, tail, and stop light is no problem, just need an 80 watt lighting coil which you can either rewind yourself, or buy from Ricky Stator.

To convert to DC, you will need a regulator rectifier, and float the lighting coil ground as shown on this site.

Another route, and one I have chosen, is to fit a rechargeable battery and wire for constant loss to power my horn (electric horn required in Illinois) and turn signals.

Now, getting a road legal title from your state may be the real stumbling block. In some states this is almost an impossibility. In my case, I just kind of lucked out.