KDX220 Teardown

Got questions? We got answers....
cbova

KDX220 Teardown

Post by cbova »

I finally got around to tearing down the KDX. Not good. After grinding the welds off the kick starter that was welded on to the shaft by one of the previous owners, I found a few "spare parts" in the case. Looks like part of the KIPS system. I have not got the rest of the cases split but after seeing this plus all of the other issues with this bike, not sure it's worth it for me to keep going. So far It needs re-plate, piston kit, kick start parts (for slipping half stroke). The pics are how it came apart.
Attachments
20201228_175016.jpg
20201228_175016.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1661 times
20201228_173634.jpg
20201228_173634.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 1661 times
20201228_173630.jpg
20201228_173630.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1661 times
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX220 Teardown

Post by pumpguy »

Based on what you were told and able to see, and a $900 price, you are almost guaranteed to get a project bike, not a bike to just get on and ride. Been there and done that more than once.

This far into it, you might as well split the cases and see what the whole picture looks like. Then start pricing up what it will take to bring it up to your standard. If the numbers look acceptable, proceed. Then you will know exactly what you have, and gained experience along the way. Be sure you get a Service Manual if you don't already have one.

If not, maybe parting it out would be a good way to recoup your costs. If you do decide to part it out, I would be interested in the cylinder, head, and KIPS parts.

Good luck.
cbova

Post by cbova »

Ya, for the price I knew it was a project. I was hoping (like everyone) for a cheap fix. Not afraid of the work and more interested in riding with my boy a little and re-coup most of the cost in a few years. I have a hard time half-assing things. My gut wants to go through the while bike but that will far exceed the value. I'm not going to ride it enough to justify that. Right now I don't think I could, in good faith, get $900 for the pile of parts I have. I'm going to split the cases and get a rough parts list of what I need to do the engine right. I can pick away at the rest as needed.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Parts cost to split the cases and replace all the wear parts really isn’t that much, as long as the crank itself is still good.
Good luck!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Was the KIPS pin loose and floating around?

I am not trying to sound harsh, but if one in general wants a bike to ride, buy one in great shape. If you want to fully rebuild one, buy the biggest POS ever. That grey area in between is an easy way to spend a ton.

At the same time, even a new one is going to need maintenance of some sort always.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cbova

Post by cbova »

@doakly, crank seems good so far. About the only thing that looks good.

@KDXGarage, yes the KIPS shaft wasn't doing anything - 2 empty bolt holes. I could rotate the shaft and actuate the valves in the cylinder.

No, I get it, buy a bike to ride or buy a bike to repair. I'm in it this far, Unless the transmission is junk I'll do the engine right and pick away at the rest. Looks like I'll need to buy a case splitter, couldn't get this one apart. I will buy a manual soon, what are people's favorite? I prefer paper manual but I can print high sheet count at work.

Thanks
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I had to buy a Tusk case splitter to do mine. I’m willing to bet your transmission is fine. I abused the heck out of mine when all the oil drained out and I had to ride it home like that. Transmission was fine! Clutch too for that matter!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get a rubber hammer. Light taps to help free it up.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

And go easy with that case splitter. Nice even pressure so you lift it uniformly. And, yes, the rubber hammer really helps.
I'm still betting your transmission is fine. While it's open though, I'd go ahead and replace the bearings and seals of course. Not real expensive.
Doug
cbova

Post by cbova »

Yeah, Think I'll pick up the Tusk. I'll do bearings and seals while I'm in there. The crank seal lip is folded over as it is now. Looks like a really low hour terrible rebuild.