KDX220 handling

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KDX220 handling

Post by Goofaroo »

I’m not seeing your answers for some reason.
Is there any possibility you could just tell me if the forks are bottoming frequently? And is your shock functional?
How did you check the steering head?
Is this your first bike?

We’re trying to help but you’ve gotta give us some info.

For instance: If you are a new rider and the forks are routinely bottoming harshly the low fluid level may not explain it. The previous owner could have assembled them incorrectly during a service. If it does bottom frequently does it have a harsh metal to metal clank?
vchris

Post by vchris »

No leaks, no bottoming, feels like the forks are working but feels unstable while turning, haven't check steering head, no idea. This is my first dirt bike. I've ridden a crf450r. I've owned a klr and z1000. Not much experience off road.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Your steering head is critical. You need to have the front wheel off the ground with the bike on the stand. Grab the fork legs and move them front to back and see if there is any slop. If there is the bearings will need to be tightened before you can test them further.

Next you will need to see if they are indexing. After years of use the bearing races can wear in the straight forward position. With the front wheel off the ground slowly turn the handlebars from left to right and see if it feels rough , tight, or in any way different in the straight ahead position. If it does they are indexed and when it gets bad enough it can make an otherwise perfect bike very difficult to ride. I generally check the steering head on every bike that comes into my shop regardless of why they brought it in. They are often neglected and it is very common that they are indexed or out of adjustment.

If you aren’t bottoming the fork you certainly don’t need springs. You do however need to get the fluid level correct for now and at some point you may want to completely disassemble them for a thorough service.

You’ll know when it is time to consider heavier springs or maybe heavier weight oil but for now it’s not your problem. If you ride all day and never bottom then just keep riding until your skill increases to a point that during your ride you may bottom the fork a few times. That means that you are using the entire available suspension travel and is what you want. When you reach a point that you are completely overriding your fork and are routinely and harshly bottoming the fork you will need to start thinking about different springs and/or heavier weight oil.

What about your shock? Does it seem to be working? Do you bottom it frequently or feel it topping out harshly?

What about your rear wheel bearings? Any slop?
What about your swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings? Sloppy?

This is all just basic checks that you should do routinely. Let us know what you find. From what you have told us about your lack of confidence in the turns it will be interesting to hear what’s going on in your steering head.
vchris

Post by vchris »

Wow thanks Goofaroo! That's a whole lot of useful info I can use. I ordered 5wt for the forks so as soon as I put them back together I'll test the steering.

Rear shock seemed kinda mushy. I adjusted both clickers to 10 instead of around 14 it was. I'll check the rear bearing. I replaced and greased all swingarm and shock linkages last year, they were all seized up.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

You don’t need oil in the forks to test the steering head. Just lift the front end, feel for looseness or indexing in the straight position. If this is your problem it will be obvious.
vchris

Post by vchris »

I put the forks back together and filled them to 100mm from top with 5wt. Feel seems much more firm than before. I might play a bit with the clickers.

No slop in wheel bearings and steering head feel smooth.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Sounds good. Gotta wonder why the oil was so low. Now that you’re at a correct level you may find that you need fork seals.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

There are really only 2 things you need to do to get your front end to handle well...correct springs for your riding weight, and correct oil height. You didn't have either one at the start of this. Sounds like you now have the right oil height so the front will work better, but you are going to find that it will still push in the corners because the springs are too light. Same goes for the rear, sprin git to the right riding weight, fully service the nitrogen. Then set your sag on both ends and go ride.