Transmission binds on reassembly

Got questions? We got answers....
Copperhead

Transmission binds on reassembly

Post by Copperhead »

I am having issues with my case reassembly. This motor (H model) has been apart for 6 months and I have forgotten some details since then. It has apart due to leaking crank seals. New seals and oem bearings. 
Problem is I think i have my transmission gears in the proper position (never removed gears from shafts)but will recheck when I get home. One problem i am having when pulling left case half onto the right half with tusk crank puller and torquing all case bolts the transmission becomes binded. I have a kawasaki service manual but feel it is extreamly vague. I have watched a few videos that i got from this forum on the 13th page Videos | HBR
https://haroldbawlzangya.com/videos/. I feel like i may have benifited from the videos because i was unsure about shift drum position and whether that would matter? Could that cause binding
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Transmission binds on reassembly

Post by bufftester »

Absolutely. Triple check your gear and washer stack ups ad shift drum assembly. Also, sometimes the hollow pins that the shift forks ride on will bind up and not seat fully. Make sure you generously grease everything with some assembly lube and take your time. You should not need to even put bolts in. I generally like to dry assemble the case halves just to make sure everything is good before I add sealant and go for final assembly
Copperhead

Post by Copperhead »

@bufftester Thanks for the advise. When everything is assembled correctly how easy should it be to turn the countershaft with sprocket by hand? Are we talking "light grip and turns like a feather" or "medium grip and commitment" i ask because i think i have it sorted.....but the trans doesnt feel super free. It does go thru the gears and finds neutral. Its been 20 years since i have seen the inside of a dirtbike engine and I am not feeling super confident
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

with no clutch or top end on you should be able to turn the input shaft sprocket by hand, probably somewhere between feather and commitment lol. It won't shift properly unless you're turning the input shaft while selecting gears. Turning it by the ouput shaft sprocket may give odd results, but I've never tried it that way.
Copperhead

Post by Copperhead »

It wasnt feather light free spinning but was smooth and functionality was there, so I finished the reassemble. Hand kicking it with no sparkplug and shifting the gears seams to be normal. I will put into the bike after work today and hope for the best. It feels wrong and novice to say this but.......fingers crossed.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The first one is always the hardest one, and the most frustrating... lol