Fuel Mixture Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Rippy11

Fuel Mixture Questions

Post by Rippy11 »

Hey Guys, I own a KDX220r 2001. What do you guys recommend my oil/gas mix should be? I am hearing 40:1 and even lighter on the oil if possible because of less smoke and better performance? I wanted to confirm in this room of knowledge if that information is factual. Further to that; I am wondering if there is a "break-in" period required after you build the top end and swap out the piston?

Thanking you in advanced for all your help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fuel Mixture Questions

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your terrain and skill level?? That plays a huge factor in picking an oil ratio. If you are putting around in the yard with the grandkids, it does not need hardly any oil. If you are hitting 70 out in the desert, then it will need more. Oil does not stick around for long under high and frequent RPM (especially sustained).

Yes, there is a break-in routing to follow. Many different ways to go about it, so I won't bother to post on it, as some nine other people will say do it a certain way, not the other 9 guys way. Most will include some sort of heat and cool process and not revving it high or maintaining the same RPM for long.

Also, I moved your post from the fuel ratio calculator thread to a new thread, as you have your own unique questions and was not really about the calculator.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As KDXG said, really depends on what type of riding you're doing, but 32:1 or 40:1 will work for any type of riding you want to do. The big key is not the ratio, it's to pick one, pick a brand of oil, pick a fuel octane, and then jet to that combination. If anything changes then you need to rejet to get best performance.
As for break in procedures, I would just suggest following the manufacturers recommendation. Absent of that do a quick search and you will find What KDXG said...everyone has the best way to do it.
PacificNWRider

Post by PacificNWRider »

If I had anything to add, after being fresh doing it, don't go by any recommendations, ( the above posts are spot on! ) but for the break-in I would go with the recommended mix ratio from kawi, until you get some break in time and then mix how you are going to ride the bike as mentioned above. From what I understand, going from something like 40:1 to 32:1 will have very little to no affect on the jetting, and the bike should have a healthy mix ratio during break-in. Worst case scenarios - you will have to repack the pipe, you will have to change one jet size which is not a big deal. Just my opinion.
'91 KDX 250 D1
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

One other tip I have from experience is to not attempt to mix it at 32:1 and accidentally mix it at 64:1. I did this one time in my KDX80. Very few local mosquitoes lived to tell the tale of the Great Oil Mist Plague of 1985. :boogie:
knottyrope

Post by knottyrope »

you mean 16:1

64:1 isnt much oil at all

i have a 6 gallon jug and use golden spectrum one bottle, no guess work for 32:1
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think I put two ounces to a gallon, something like that. I remember having a bright orange jacket with black dots everywhere and my friend riding behind me with black dots on his forearms. :-)
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

I'll 2nd 32 or 40:1 mix ,,,

I like plenty of oil , I run 927 at 20:1 in chainsaw and it loves it. Just had to adjust carb and run a slightly hotter plug
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I use 32:1 because in my mind I am pushing the envelope on every ride.....but I doubt my KDX thinks so.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I have a nice race jersey to match your orange jacket!
Permanent reminder that it took a little work to get the jetting dialed in.
Recommendation: Pick a mix and dial the jetting before wearing any Christmas presents, to look cool at the track.
Attachments
156D2DFE-4AE7-4460-8B55-D4B2657E88C3.jpeg
156D2DFE-4AE7-4460-8B55-D4B2657E88C3.jpeg (696.63 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep! Tough sometimes to just do jetting instead of riding.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Thats the 2T badge of honor!