Installing Devol Rear Disc Guard

Got questions? We got answers....
DenverKdxRider

Installing Devol Rear Disc Guard

Post by DenverKdxRider »

Hi Folks,

I just got a devol rear disc gaurd protector and am stumped on how to install it. It comes with a spacer and the gaurd. There are no instructions. It would seem it goes in between the caliper and dust seal cap but there's simply no room between to fit the gaurd. On other forums you are evidently supposed to use the spacer they gave you which is (smaller) but it doesn't have any rubber around it to seal the wheel bearing which doesn't make sense to me and would allow a ton of dust in. Image.

Any ideas?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Installing Devol Rear Disc Guard

Post by Tyl3r »

I bought a used one for mine a while back and it didnt come with a spacer. Just pulled the axle out some, slid it up in there so the hole lined up and pushed the axle back thru
Attachments
20200630_133340.jpg
20200630_133340.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 1084 times
20200630_133324.jpg
20200630_133324.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 1084 times
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Installing Devol Rear Disc Guard

Post by pumpguy »

The furnished spacer is supposed to take the place of the 92413 spacer on the brake side. This guard is only held in place by the axle, and when mounting you rotate it counter-clockwise so it bears against the swing arm before tightening up the axle nut. IIRC, it's been a while.

Not the best design for a shark fin IMHO. When I got my KDX, it had a Devol guard like this, and it was cracked half way into the axle hole. I decided to reinforce this area with a couple of stainless steel collars held in place with SS flat head machine screws and epoxy. Had to adjust the collar dimension to suit. If doing a rating, I would only give this guard 2 stars. There are better ones out there.