Kick starter won't engage until past half way?

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx47

Kick starter won't engage until past half way?

Post by kdx47 »

Sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find any answers in the search results. My kick starter goes past half way before engaging; occasionally it will catch higher up (at say 11 o clock), but majority of the time it only catches at like 9 O clock. Is this an easy fix, or is more work required? How do I go about fixing this?

It feels to me like some of the internal gears are worn out. I should also note that my kicker is chipped, and it doesn't sit at a 90 degree angle to the bike. It sits more at like a 70 degree angle, so when I'm kicking, instead of kicking straight down, I'm almost kicking back into the bike, if that makes sense. I can provide pics if ppl need more clarification.

My Kicker also hits the foot peg on the way down, don't know if this normal either.

Any help is appreciated, this is my first bike and I know pretty much next to nothing about dirt bikes, but I'd like to learn as much as I can and hopefully restore this bike a bit.

Cheers
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Kick starter won't engage until past half way?

Post by kdxsully »

I’d say inspect the kickstart mechanism. It does sound like the gears aren’t catching. I’ve sharpened some up with a dremel and cut off wheel before.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Be careful kicking it into the bike. hat sounds like a sure way to break the kickstarter shaft.

What model is it?

spur gear
idle gear
spring are the things to check

There are several threads on it, but you may have missed the one little term people seem to use. Maybe try to look up "catch" or just kickstarter.

They do wear out over time.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The ratchet spring and ratchet gear wear out. The classic symptom of a worn spring/gear is failure of the kickstarter to engage at the top of the stroke. Fairly easy fix, but you will need to pull the right side inner slutch cover off, so make sure you get a new gasket as well.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Your kick foot lever is going to wear out sooner or later. When it does, inevitable, consider replacing it with a kx125 kicker. Search these forums for how.
kdx47

Post by kdx47 »

bufftester wrote: 03:29 pm Jun 25 2020 The ratchet spring and ratchet gear wear out. The classic symptom of a worn spring/gear is failure of the kickstarter to engage at the top of the stroke. Fairly easy fix, but you will need to pull the right side inner slutch cover off, so make sure you get a new gasket as well.
But my kickstarter isn't engaging at the top; in fact its engaging way too low in the stroke, thats one of the problems I'm having.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

bufftester wrote: 03:29 pm Jun 25 2020 ...The classic symptom of a worn spring/gear is FAILURE of the kickstarter to engage at the top of the stroke...
Yes, I know, that's what I said. You likely need a new ratchet spring and/or gear. Best to replace them as a set, though it will set you back about 100$
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

just spitballing a theory here:

spring and two gears get worn over time, requiring more pressure to lock the two gears together... the spring is too weak to lock them together until more and more preload is added by moving the kickstarter lever further into the stroke (since the spring gets wound tighter through the kicking stroke (midstroke for the KDX in question)

At some point in the kicking stroke, enough tension is built to engage the gears. On a new spring and gears, it is pretty much instant. If the spring and gears are very worn, it may never catch. This bike's gears and spring system may be halfway worn out, as it catches in the middle.

Any thoughts?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The kickstart lever or kickstart knuckle being damaged is a separate problem. Maybe post a pic? Sounds like time to try to get someone to weld on it, and file it back to proper shape.

EDIT:

I will add this, You and the previous owner(s) have kicked and kicked due to the worn gears and spring, which has finally damaged the knuckle or lever.

I'm like butter. I'm on a roll! :doh:
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:47 pm Jun 26 2020
Oof. :lol:
kdx47

Post by kdx47 »

bufftester wrote: 10:12 pm Jun 26 2020
bufftester wrote: 03:29 pm Jun 25 2020 ...The classic symptom of a worn spring/gear is FAILURE of the kickstarter to engage at the top of the stroke...
Yes, I know, that's what I said. You likely need a new ratchet spring and/or gear. Best to replace them as a set, though it will set you back about 100$
I see, sorry misread your comment.
kdx47

Post by kdx47 »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:47 pm Jun 26 2020 The kickstart lever or kickstart knuckle being damaged is a separate problem. Maybe post a pic? Sounds like time to try to get someone to weld on it, and file it back to proper shape.

EDIT:

I will add this, You and the previous owner(s) have kicked and kicked due to the worn gears and spring, which has finally damaged the knuckle or lever.

I'll upload a pic shortly
kdx47

Post by kdx47 »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:47 pm Jun 26 2020 The kickstart lever or kickstart knuckle being damaged is a separate problem. Maybe post a pic? Sounds like time to try to get someone to weld on it, and file it back to proper shape.

EDIT:

Here are the pics of the Kicker. As you can see, its bent way backwards, and isn't perpendicular to the bike. Also, the bike isn't kicking over...Anyone know what's wrong?
Attachments
IMG_4493.jpeg
IMG_4493.jpeg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 7547 times
IMG_4494.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg (4.15 MiB) Viewed 7547 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There is a portion of the kickstater that keeps it from flopping backwards. Look at some pics online to see someone else's that is not damaged.

A portion of yours is broke off.
kdx47

Post by kdx47 »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:32 pm Jun 27 2020 There is a portion of the kickstater that keeps it from flopping backwards. Look at some pics online to see someone else's that is not damaged.

A portion of yours is broke off.

Yup, Im aware. Need to order a new one. kicker still isn't catching properly tho, so I'm thinking it may be the spring.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

springs cheap, gears ain't, try the spring and see if it is enough
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Maybe he could weld the broken piece back on?
I like turtles
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

kdxsully wrote: 07:49 am Jun 28 2020 Maybe he could weld the broken piece back on?
He could, but this is a perfect opportunity (excuse) to switch over to the KX125 kicker which, IMO, is a better set up anyway.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There's like a glob / knob portion of the kickstarter that gets worn off / broken off over time. It's not just his particular bike. I have seen it on different models and brands.

It's kind of like a door stop of sorts.