What to get, KDX or new KLX

Got questions? We got answers....
Firehouse Mike

What to get, KDX or new KLX

Post by Firehouse Mike »

So, just posted in introductions.....coming back to riding after a 20 year hiatus. Last ride was a '92 KDX200...amazing bike. Would like to get an H-model, but they are almost impossible to find, and when you do, they're looking pretty beat and still $3k +.

I'd like to find one and do a close ISDE build on it ( I'll be doing NMA Enduro and Off-Road Series up here in the PNW) and have FRP do some work on the cylinder and suspension. Probably be into it for $5-6k+ when all said and done.

OR......Do I get a NEW KLX300R for about the same price, and not have to rebuild the whole thing. There will be mods done of course as parts are available. Not much for it yet. It seems to have great reviews, similar to the KDX's back in the day. Good motor, excellent handling, soft suspension. Seems kinda like a modern 4-stroke KDX. (Don't hate me!!) The elect start and EFI are VERY nice touches a KDX would not have...not really needed, but nice.

I'm so confused! I'm relearning all the bike tech that has happened in the last 20 years.

Thoughts????

Thanks.....Mike
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: What to get, KDX or new KLX

Post by rungrandpa »

I saw a 2000 KDX 220 with fork conversion and other mods sell for $2500 this month. I've seen them for less occasionally. KDX is not really comparable to a new bike. I know the KLX is a great bike, but it weighs too much for me to pick up in the mud on a hill side, so it depends on how you intend to ride it. I was stuck on a hillside once, and started my KDX with my left foot no problem. I almost started it with my hand. I've ridden my son's KTM's with electric start. I've never missed electric start on the KDX.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It sounds like you have the budget to go either way. That makes it easier on us to comment. :-)

For your situation, between the 2, I would prefer spending $5,000 on a KDX200 / KDX220R over $5,5000 (whatever OTD turns out to be) on a new KLX300R. I think the new KLX300R sounds great, but after reading a few posts from people talking about it on TT, I think a KDX totally rebuilt would be better for you situation.

Low hour KDX's are out there, but not easy to find now that it has been 14 years since the last one was made.

I would look into the Yamaha YZ250X. It is a race bike, not "just" a trail bike. It may meet your racing needs better. If you decide on a "trail bike", the KDX is hard to beat.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 12:38 pm Jun 06 2020 It sounds like you have the budget to go either way. That makes it easier on us to comment. :-)

For your situation, between the 2, I would prefer spending $5,000 on a KDX200 / KDX220R over $5,5000 (whatever OTD turns out to be) on a new KLX300R. I think the new KLX300R sounds great, but after reading a few posts from people talking about it on TT, I think a KDX totally rebuilt would be better for you situation.

Low hour KDX's are out there, but not easy to find now that it has been 14 years since the last one was made.

I would look into the Yamaha YZ250X. It is a race bike, not "just" a trail bike. It may meet your racing needs better. If you decide on a "trail bike", the KDX is hard to beat.
Ditto... :grin:
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

No question, a KDX is a much better off road and race bike vs the new KLX. The KLX is roughly 280 lbs with out armor. My fully modded KDX with upgraded USD forks and full armor checks in at 242 lbs. That's quite a difference and you'll notice that when picking it up. Shame Kawasaki didn't just drop it in the KX250F chassis with some cheaper Showa 47's and they would have had a winner IMO.

I also agree, even though it isn't green, the YZ250X is a great all around bike. My buddy has an '18 250X and I've ridden it quite a bit. It's a no frills bike like the KDX only it already comes with good suspension components.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

Another reason to get an H model over an E model is because parts are easier to source.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As a fellow PNW'er, and an owner of an older (99) KLX300R, I'd hold my cash and look for a KDX or a YZ250X. The YZ is a very capable off-road bike and starting to see more of them in the woods here. The KLX is a tractor no doubt, but a heavy one. And in the slop and wet up here that extra weight comes with a hefty price tag in terms of the riders stamina. Drop it a couple times in the snotty stuff and you won't care if it comes stock with an extra guy to run behind you and start it for you. It would however make a killer dual sport bike for up here. There are a glut of KTMs around, and lots of folks who'll steer clear of the Orange crowd, but they do make some nice race bikes that can be had for not too much. But you will be learning to do a lot of maintenance, especially if you settle on a 4T.
tman

Post by tman »

GPX Moto TSE250R. Best deal out there. Basically a modern version of the KDX. See the specs at gpxmoto.com I paid $4400 for mine. $4700 total, assembled, setup and shipped to my house. I'm replacing my 95 KDX200 with it. The KDX is for sale in Colorado.
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Understand we are on a KDX forum (and probably most people ride green, myself included), with that budget for a good off road racing bike you'd be better placed spending your money on a used YZ. From personal experience (I love my KDX), when I race, I race my YZ, even off-road. The suspension, even on a fork converted KDX will not match the YZ IMO. If you like euro bikes, there are good used options in that price range also.

I would steer clear of the KLX300r for racing. It is designed as a trail bike, and I think you would find it frustrating to race. Heavy, not as good suspension and lacking a bit on power. They make great casual bikes for ease of maintenance and ease of riding, but probably not what you are describing.