Pictures of the Inside of a New KDX Cylinder (For Reference)

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Pictures of the Inside of a New KDX Cylinder (For Reference)

Post by KDXGarage »

Here are some pictures of a NOS KDX175 cylinder I had. Please note that the finish is smooth, without cross-hatching that some may see on aftermarket plating or other non-Electrofusion OEM cylinders. Over the years, I have read MANY posts from people on the internet stating that someone posting pics of an Electrofusion cylinder has a completely worn out cylinder. "All the cross-hatching is worn off.", etc.

I have a new 1989 - 1994 KDX200 cylinder that is the same as this one.

This cylinder has Kawasaki's brown preservation oil on it, so it looks like stains or something on the surface.

One can open the images in a new window to see them MUCH larger.

Thanks.
DSCN2443.JPG
DSCN2443.JPG (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
DSCN2445.JPG
DSCN2445.JPG (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
DSCN2446.JPG
DSCN2446.JPG (3.53 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
DSCN2448.JPG
DSCN2448.JPG (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Pictures of the Inside of a New KDX Cylinder (For Reference)

Post by SS109 »

Man, it looks worn out! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting it up. That is some good reference material as I know I'm guilty of the "it looks worn out" statement" at times. It's really hard to tell from pics if an electrofusion cylinder is actually worn out. Of course, considering the newest KDX is 15 years old now, it is a fairly safe assumption that most are due for a replate.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:48 pm May 15 2020 Here are some pictures of a NOS KDX175 cylinder I had. Please note that the finish is smooth, without cross-hatching that some may see on aftermarket plating or other non-Electrofusion OEM cylinders. Over the years, I have read MANY posts from people on the internet stating that someone posting pics of an Electrofusion cylinder has a completely worn out cylinder. "All the cross-hatching is worn off.", etc.

I have a new 1989 - 1994 KDX200 cylinder that is the same as this one.

This cylinder has Kawasaki's brown preservation oil on it, so it looks like stains or something on the surface.

One can open the images in a new window to see them MUCH larger.

Thanks.
Ah, this is interesting. Thank you for posting these pics. It is good to see what a new/super fresh cylinder looks like. I have a couple questions!

1) You would always want a cross-hatch type of hone on any type of new or refurbished cylinder, electroplated or not, wouldn't you? Are there exceptions , where you'd want a totally glossy finish the in the cylinder?

2) I have the 2nd gen/H model KDX 200 (2003). Is my cylinder supposed to be plated? Was it plated from the factory? Is there an option or advantage of going with a non-plated cylinder?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any Kawasaki made USA KDX cylinder pretty much looks like above when new. 1974 KX125 had the Electrofusion coating, so they were doing it 5 years before any KDX. They call it a coating instead of a plating. It is applied a little differently, but the end result is similar. It's a thin, hard layer on the surface, instead of a steel / iron liner.
'03KDX200

Post by '03KDX200 »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:15 am May 22 2020 Any Kawasaki made USA KDX cylinder pretty much looks like above when new. 1974 KX125 had the Electrofusion coating, so they were doing it 5 years before any KDX. They call it a coating instead of a plating. It is applied a little differently, but the end result is similar. It's a thin, hard layer on the surface, instead of a steel / iron liner.
Ah ok. Cool then ALL KDX 200/220's had electroplated/coated cylinders. So we can just assume when we have someone refurbish a cylinder for us, we'll need to pay the extra $200 or so to have it sent to an electroplating place.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Not necessarily. People running rings and pistons for years will tear up ANY company's plating / coating.