Just Completed Electrical Conversion to DC . . .

Got questions? We got answers....
Tripilot

Just Completed Electrical Conversion to DC . . .

Post by Tripilot »

Fellow KDX’ers! I just wrapped up final testing on my '03 220’s electrical system conversion from an AC to DC, complete with charging and a 6 AH LiPo battery. I made a quick video that I’ll post here. I got most of the fundamental information from a variety of internet sources. I relied on a friend who is 1400 miles from me for advice when I got stumped, more than a few times. He’s an avionics technician and I am electrically challenged. This was a fun and rewarding project for me to complete. I will work on putting together a list of the parts I used for this conversion in case anyone is interested. Plated in South Dakota and insured, my KDX is reasonably street legal. I took it on the road yesterday and a guy I was following pulled over to watch me go by - Braaaap!, likely wondering about a smoker on the road with lights and all. Several others in neighborhoods gave me thumbs up when hearing the bike go by.

Battery-

Plate Lights-

Plate holder-

Universal Light Turn Signal Switch, Flasher Relay & Horn- This switch is superior to the Tusk, which I also bought but decided not to use.

Turn signals-
These are impressive and do not require the installation of a flasher for them to function properly. They also have the bright white LEDS when the turn signal is not being used. I didn’t use the white for the rear mounting as they are too bright. These are made to wrap around the upper fork, but fit nicely on my bark-busters. I made a mount for the rear using a pice of aluminum flat stock attached to my license plate holder.

Brake switch-
I installed a single switch on my front brake line. Using the rear will require some adapting because of restrictions.

Trail Tech Regulator/Rectifier-

Battery Tender accessory cable that can be used for a variety of tasks-

Switch-
This serves as a master to turn off/on all of my electrical at one time. If this switch is off, none of the lighting/horn will function, for the obvious reason.

85 Watts Stator from Ricky Stator- https://www.rickystator.com/product/sta ... coil-89-on
I plan to rewind the original stator that I removed for the new install to see if I am able to get more than Ricky’s 85 watts, simply out of curiosity and to attempt something else I’ve never done.

UFO Rear Fender- https://www.ebay.com/itm/333211305173
I ordered and installed one of these because I didn’t want to make holes or otherwise damage the original fender. As it turns out, I could have left the original on because I dint go the route I originally intended. Thats said, there is a possibility of building a small, aluminum fender rack that. I you choose to use the factory rear fender, you can buy a tail light for a WR450R that is a direct fit and haas a tail/brake light combination. I bought one via eBay that I will use if I go back to the original fender. This light will not fit the UFO fender.
NOTE- The light socket on the UFO fender is plastic garbage and I had to swap it out for a metal one-
It’s really poor that UFO makes a descent fender and installs plastic junk to save a few cents and create aggravation and work to make it correct.

I built up my wiring harness using individual wires. Doing it again I would purchase a trailer wiring harness with four wires- Brake, LT, RT & ground. I would run them to the front where the battery is located and connect to the front turn signals using 2 into 1 butt connectors for a much neater/cleaner installation. It’s not a difficult task to accomplish and it’s cool to have a KDX with a a fully functioning electrical system.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Just Completed Electrical Conversion to DC . . .

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome! Come on in!

That's a very nice first post. Thanks for signing up and posting all that.

Instructions to add pics are in my signature.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Awesome! Now get us some pics and video! :supz: Also, if you can, it might be helpful to some if you post up your wiring diagram as this question comes up fairly regularly.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums and congrats on diving right in.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

I'd really like to see a wiring diagram as well. Did the conversion to my 03 220 and it has worked well so far. I noted that you talked about a charging system, but I see the battery tender in the pics. Were you able to wire it so it self-charges the battery, or do you charge the battery through an exterior battery charger? Would love to get mine to self-charge.

Unless you really want to mess around with the rewind, the LED's draw so little I wouldn't bother. My LED headlight is super bright and draws next to nothing with the stock stator.
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed