Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Post by KDXGarage »

It has a real heavy crankshaft and flywheel, unlike a MX bike. It is just not going to spin up as quickly, providing the zip and wheelie popping power you may be used to.

When you get the carb sorted out, I think you will be OK with it. Getting it jetted to work properly in a boulder field or wet logs, mud roots, etc. will be when it can shine.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

KDXGarage wrote: 02:29 pm Jan 05 2022 It has a real heavy crankshaft and flywheel, unlike a MX bike. It is just not going to spin up as quickly, providing the zip and wheelie popping power you may be used to.

When you get the carb sorted out, I think you will be OK with it. Getting it jetted to work properly in a boulder field or wet logs, mud roots, etc. will be when it can shine.
Forsure. I think I’m close on jetting. I’m real excited about the bike.

Video of riding it this weekend
[bbvideo] https://youtube.com/shorts/2bVIy2jcL5c?feature=share[/bbvideo]
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, that sounds bit off on the jetting. Was that the fork leg hitting a big rock??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Hopefully it sounds lean because I just went way richer. Yeah I’m pretty sure I smacked it. Nothing seems too damaged.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Does anybody especially you Colorado guys know your metering rod measurement?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Point those toes in mate! :supz: That'll help keep your feet on the pegs. :mrgreen:
'00 KDX 220R
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I’ve been working so hard on it on the moto track. To stay on the balls more and toes in and grip with the knees. I’m so new to this trail stuff.
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

MoonStomper wrote: 06:33 pm Dec 05 2021 I need to see this in the flesh. My PWK works pretty dang good with Fredette’s needle and jets, but I’ve always wondered what this and an adjustable CDI could do, especially now that I have the Radvalve and FMF Desert pipe.
Just curious what needles Fredette supplied for your pwk. My carb was returned all stock with the exception of a 155-160 main jet. Thanks
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

He sold me an 1173 needle. It definitely works great on my bike.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
JZ05220r
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by JZ05220r »

MoonStomper wrote: 08:32 am Nov 22 2022 He sold me an 1173 needle. It definitely works great on my bike.
Thanks
2005 KDX220r 1991 KDX200 2022 KTM 500excf
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Just reading this thread and wanted to say that my 2nd KDX220 came to me with a brand new Lectron. I had to richen the metering rod "needle" several times, and back out the power jet (top end additional enrichment) a bit to compensate.
I feel these carbs are absolutely AWESOME upgrade on a 220 in place of the stock carb. A PWK35 Air Striker, especially one modified by Ron Black, may beat this 34mm Lectron, but the Lectron (and Smart Carb) metering rod style carbs have vastly superior fuel atomization versus a needle jet / jet needle type carb, so they absolutely get better fuel efficiency and fuel range. My bike used to get worse fuel range with me riding like a lunatic compared to my wife's PWK36 equipped KTM 200 XC-W. Now with a Lectron 34mm, my KDX220R gets drastically better fuel range than PWK35 equipped KDX200's, PWK38 Honda CR125's/250's, and the PWK36 KTM 200... I haven't even hit reserve yet on my stock tank when the other KDX's are nearly bone dry, and I am always way out ahead of everyone riding full bore and stopping for a minute or two for them to catch up, often doubling back to help others get their bikes up nasty steep gnarly sections or retrieve their bikes when they slide down steep un-rideable slopes... more miles, more aggressive riding, still have 2.5"-3" of fuel in the tank when they run almost bone dry...

For this reason, I think running a Lectron also requires NOT running 50:1 as a lot of people do, I run 40:1 normally, or 43:1 in cold weather with full synthetic premix oil. Less fuel consumption will require a bit more oil, and higher quality premix oil as well...
I really need to get one of those custom order Barnett throttle cables for the Lectron which someone on this forum had drawn up by Barnett. I was hoping that was in this thread as I don't believe I saved that link.
Trying to put together a list of all the off-season maintenance items I need to buy here in the next few weeks to get ready to ride Redbird Crest Kentucky March 16th-19th!

Yeah in summary, the Lectron 34mm seems like an amazing carb for the 220.... Some 200 users have reported that they've loved Lectrons on other bikes but couldn't quite get them dialed the way they can a good PWK35 or PWK35 Air Striker.... yes there is definitely greater adjustability in the Keihins, but the metering rod style if you can get it dialed in, as I said, clearly has vastly superior atomization of fuel for more efficiency... It seems to suit a 220 engine with a Gnarly Desert, Platinum 2, or Gnarly Woods pipe QUITE WELL... and head mod by Ron Black helps even more with fuel efficiency.
If you want longer fuel range and can commit to buying race fuel always, a 95 octane head mod will give you even more power and fuel economy... It's been tempting for me I must say!
Last edited by Chuck78 on 11:16 am Mar 31 2023, edited 1 time in total.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Not the original post about Tyl3r's custom designed Barnett throttle cable for the Lectrons, but this thread has the resulting Barnett Engineering drawing in it of the cable solution. I know for one my cable with fat bar risers on my KLX300R triple clamps is not quite long enough, and routing is very very critical to now get unwanted throttle inputs when turning the handlebars...

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=25306&hilit=Lectron+Barnett

and the drawing:

I sure wish I had seen that before I ordered a spare cable from Lectron that also doesn't fit worth a darn... if I didn't have the carb mounted at an angle due to the VForce3 Reed block making fitment even worse, then the stock Lectron cable offering would REALLY not work. I have the Motion Pro throttle tube Lectron recommends and sells with their package deal.

I'm curious if Lectron machined the spigot sleeve portion per the drawings above in the fitment thread, as it seems to fit quite well otherwise. Hopefully they learned from that.

The Lectron 38mm Billetron supposedly will fit a KDX better than the other Lectrons height-wise, but 38mm is a bit large for crisp low end throttle response on a grunty lugging machine that is used often for slow technical rocky rooty rutted gnarly steep terrains... It sure would sing up top though! But the price is also quite prohibitive... If I saw a used one, I might snatch it up to try out. They also have somewhat of a keyhole shaped venturi, think skeleton key. Thinner at the bottom, opens up more at wider throttle openings, giving better low end air velocity for better atomization, but opening up wider at larger throttle openings for more maximum airflow.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup