Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Got questions? We got answers....
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Post by Molly's 70 »

I hear it's a real tight fit & may not install perfectly vertical. Do you already have it?
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I do not. Ordered it Monday so hopefully in another week. Problem is the bike is totally apart now. Shock off to get rebuilt, pipe off getting fixed up, wheels off to get relaced, bout to take the top end off to clean the kips. So idk if I’ll even be able to put it on right when I get it.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I’m excited to hear how it works out for you. Please take some good pix of the process and finished install. Hoping to bring my 200 out west over the next few years for ice racing in IL/WI, enduros and trail riding in MT, UT and Idaho. Would be nice to just fire it up with no jetting worries.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, please keep us posted as I really hope they have fixed the mounting issues.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Will do guys. May be a couple weeks. Idk if I can get it done before Christmas but it won’t be too long
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

While we’re on the subject… Smartcarb? Likes vs dislikes? Easier to mount? Performance? Cost? … etc?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I did not even think about it only because it seemed to be a couple hundred more for not much gain I did not think
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

lcgordon711 wrote: 05:49 pm Dec 05 2021 For the Colorado guys I’m in Colorado also and really thinking about the lectron. Would you guys go for it?
Looks like you already pulled the trigger on this, and I think you'll be happy in the Lectron performance with the CO elevation changes. Mine have worked well. I've posted on several "Lectron" threads in the forum here and have them on both my 220 and 200. You can just search "Lectron" and you'll see the different threads with user inputs/reviews. I didn't have any fitment issue with mine, but some like Jimboe had a hard time getting it to fit. The biggest problem I had was the slack in the Motion Pro throttle cable that they provided. I had motion pro make me a cable that is adjustable in the middle as well, so that fixed the problem. I did end up adjusting the metering rod 1/4 turn after installing the carburetor, but it is super simple to do.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

GATOROC wrote: 05:36 pm Dec 13 2021
lcgordon711 wrote: 05:49 pm Dec 05 2021 For the Colorado guys I’m in Colorado also and really thinking about the lectron. Would you guys go for it?
Looks like you already pulled the trigger on this, and I think you'll be happy in the Lectron performance with the CO elevation changes. Mine have worked well. I've posted on several "Lectron" threads in the forum here and have them on both my 220 and 200. You can just search "Lectron" and you'll see the different threads with user inputs/reviews. I didn't have any fitment issue with mine, but some like Jimboe had a hard time getting it to fit. The biggest problem I had was the slack in the Motion Pro throttle cable that they provided. I had motion pro make me a cable that is adjustable in the middle as well, so that fixed the problem. I did end up adjusting the metering rod 1/4 turn after installing the carburetor, but it is super simple to do.
Thanks for the info. I have done a good amount of reading and it seems ppl used to have instal problems until they moded the top for the kdx.

I did buy the throttle assembly they suggested would this help the slack issue? I am a bit confused on your slack issue and I hope I don’t have to order a new cable? I hope it just works right out of the box.

I’m sure I will figure it out but I did see a video where a guy put the front of the carb in first then the back. Would that be the only trick? Also I’m sure I may have to play the settings a tad and I’m sure I’ll see when I get it but I’m guessing to adjust the metering rod the carb still turns to the side to get into the top pretty easily?

Thanks I’m way too excited for this. I need to get to building some wheels so I can get this put in when it comes.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

lcgordon711 wrote: 02:43 pm Dec 14 2021 Thanks for the info. I have done a good amount of reading and it seems ppl used to have instal problems until they moded the top for the kdx.

I did buy the throttle assembly they suggested would this help the slack issue? I am a bit confused on your slack issue and I hope I don’t have to order a new cable? I hope it just works right out of the box.

I’m sure I will figure it out but I did see a video where a guy put the front of the carb in first then the back. Would that be the only trick? Also I’m sure I may have to play the settings a tad and I’m sure I’ll see when I get it but I’m guessing to adjust the metering rod the carb still turns to the side to get into the top pretty easily?

Thanks I’m way too excited for this. I need to get to building some wheels so I can get this put in when it comes.
The throttle cable that Lectron recommends is the one that quite a few people complain about, including me. I did get them to work on both of my bikes, but the adjustment was as far as it could go, and my throttle still had a little too much slack. There are some folks that don't have any issues, so hopefully you will be one of them as well.

The carb install on my 200 was really easy. Put the front in first and then the rear boot. No issues at all. My 220 was the first install I did a few years ago, and that one took a little more patience and wiggling the carb to get it in place under the frame. Still not a big deal.

You are correct - to access the fuel metering rod, just loosen up the clamps, rotate the carb to the side, take off the three screws, and pull the slide assembly out with the metering rod. Hopefully you ordered a fuel metering rod tool, but if not, you can use pliers to turn it. I would just cover the rod with a rag or something so it doesn't gouge it. So much easier than messing with jetting.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to adjust the metering rod, including a video on Lectron's site - https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/2t-guides
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Thanks for the info. Good to hear the the cable hopefully is not a big deal. Also that the install is not bad. The kit now comes with the metering rod tool so hopefully it actually does. Would be nice if they just gave you everything you need especially for 515 bucks. It has been shipped now so I can’t wait.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Well got the lectron in and got it on easy. Weird tho it runs really lean. Hard to get it to idle well when cold then it won’t take any throttle. It just sounds like it’s not getting any fuel and dies. Take a while to warm up then finally will rev. Just seems weird. I know it’s 35 ish degrees here but still. Not impressed so far. Never had a carb 2t struggle this much. I would guess something is not right.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

lcgordon711 wrote: 09:01 pm Dec 18 2021 Well got the lectron in and got it on easy. Weird tho it runs really lean. Hard to get it to idle well when cold then it won’t take any throttle. It just sounds like it’s not getting any fuel and dies. Take a while to warm up then finally will rev. Just seems weird. I know it’s 35 ish degrees here but still. Not impressed so far. Never had a carb 2t struggle this much. I would guess something is not right.
I'd suggest that maybe you have an air leak somewhere. Must be disappointing to spend north of $500 on a carb and not have it work.
'00 KDX 220R
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Something is wrong Forsure. I sprayed carb cleaner all around the boots and it did not idle more.

Tried again this morning did probably 100 kicks. Would start and idle for a second or two then die. I kept playing with the idle and had it all the way in and still dies. Anytime I give it throttle it dies. I threw the stock carb back on and it starts right up. Needs cleaned out but idles and takes throttle just fine. So it’s forsure the lectron. Don’t know what I can even change. My slide is a 4 and the needle is a 3-2. I turned the needle in a half turn and it maybe seemed to help a tad yesterday but I don’t think turning the needle will help this problem.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

If it runs fine with the std card, I’d be talking with Lectron.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

doakley wrote: 01:46 pm Dec 19 2021 If it runs fine with the std card, I’d be talking with Lectron.
This. You paid $500 for a carb. It should at least be in the ballpark.
'00 KDX 220R
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Yeah I have a call scheduled at 8 am tomorrow. Honestly I can understand having to adjust the idle and maybe a half turn on the metering rod but it won’t even run enough to get it warmed up.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Edit: got a call from them and I think they were pretty useless. Had me try to make my slide gap 1/8 of an inch. And measure my rod at 2.044 inches. I don’t think the rod would do anything where I’m at in the revs. I feel it’s a slide issue if something is not set up right. More seems like fuel is not getting in at all. If it was a carb I would think the pilot and main were clogged.

Who knows first thing he said was that stock carbs don’t show issues well. Which pissed me off. Trying to say it’s my bike. I could see if they were close and the lectron was a little worse but it runs like dog crap. Actually it does not even run enough to run like dog crap.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Update I think I figured it out. The guy told me to set the idle gap at 1/8in. Well it was at zero with the idle screw maxed. What happened was I backed the idle screw too far out and the slide dropped too far. I then turned it in and it hit the side of the slide making me think it was maxed. Well I pulled the slide up and ran the screw in and dropped the slide and it worked. I will verify tonight. Boy was I confused.

PSA don’t back the idle out all the way it gets messed up.
Attachments
598793BC-74D7-4808-9186-F4B5338A0A29.jpeg
598793BC-74D7-4808-9186-F4B5338A0A29.jpeg (585.99 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Good information. You're an honest guy. Now get that bike running.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.