Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Got questions? We got answers....
lcgordon711

Re: Lectron: KDX happy customers ????

Post by lcgordon711 »

Yeah,
When I called them they said it is the correct rod. I have gotten a chance to ride it and I have been playing with it a tad and am very close to getting it running good. I think it needed to go about 1/2 turn leaner from stock. They did have me turn it 1 1/2 turns rich from stock to try and work back from there.

One thing I know is I will kick start it and it will barely idle but it will. I will raise the idle all the way so it has a semi normal idle. It will be for maybe 30 seconds and I give it a couple blips of the throttle and then it will idle too high and I’ll drop the idle back down to where I had it.

Maybe it’s actually too rich I don’t know. Sorta like when adjusting the air screw on a normal carb it runs like crap when you screw it all the way in and is better 1 1/2 turns out or whatever. Maybe I just thought it seemed too lean but was too rich.

I really don’t know. It baffles me.

I never could get my carb fully sealed up to test the intake fully but no bubbles came out at 4 psi so I don’t think the intake is the problem.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you making these adjustments after the engine is fully warmed?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Yes it’s pretty warmed. I will dial it in at the end at the riding area. Wanted to get it close so I’m not spending an hour dealing with it when I show up.

Idle screw it is not warm so I always have to adjust it back once it is warm.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You want to set the idle speed when fully warm. Don't adjust it when cold. When you apply the choke that should keep the bike running when cold. Leave the choke on until it will idle on it's own without it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

It won’t run at normal idle before it warm. Need to turn it all the way up.

I get normal procedure but this thing in the cold is not normal something is messed up with it. Pretty much have narrowed it down to the lectron some how.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Just wanted to get a video of the starting process. It was even colder this morning at 10 deg but this is pretty normal process. I kick and kick and nothing happens, then I raise the idle all the way up and it starts every 3rd kick or so for about a few seconds. Then it finally goes after about 2-3 min and runs super high idle and sounds really lean to me. I lower the idle back down and nothing happens until I crack the throttle and then a few seconds later it drops. If anybody has any thoughts on this. I will also be sending these videos to lectron and calling this this week.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

[bbvideo] https://youtube.com/shorts/0tcEoA0XCBU?feature=share[/bbvideo]
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

The choke is on? Correct? Clearly, it's not getting fuel.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Yeah it’s on. When I richen the metering rod it runs bad. They told me to richen it 1.5 turns and it maybe helped a tad not sure. But the bike ran like crap. I worked it back in half turn increments until I got 1/4 leaner than stock. I think it’s still a bit rich but it got better with every turn leaner.

I don’t know what is up but something is wrong. There are only 2 adjustments and both of them don’t work.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

What does the spark plug look like?
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

What is the best way to check the plug? Should I put a fresh one in and try to start it the look at it? It has been running a bit now so I’m guessing it is no good to look at now.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

You said, you thought it was a bit rich. Does your plug look wet or dry?
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I’ll take a look. Have not been able to do a plug chop or run much more than about second gear I’m at my house. I’m basing it off of being to rich by the way it blubbers a bit 0-1/2 throttle and that it got so much better the more I leaned it out. Plus it smokes like crazy when Idling even with pretty warm. But that could just be a tad loaded up from idling.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Well I played with the needle more and I was way too lean. Idk why it ran better when I leaned it out before. Maybe it was not fully warm. This time it was forsure warm. I am back up to 3/4 turns richer than stock. I think it’s really close. It may need one 1/4 more turn.

I really suck at telling the difference between rich and lean.

I know the difference when it’s really rich or really lean but to me they kinda sound the same when it’s just a little bit one way or the other.

I honestly don’t ride a poorly jetted bike too often so I don’t have a ton of practice. Normally I think it’s one way so I keep going to make it better and it gets worse and then I’ll know I was wrong.

Hopefully this helps my starting it would make sense that it would. Supposed to go ride for real tomorrow so I should get it dialed.

Thanks for all the help and I’ll report back with my findings. Sorry to the OP for stealing his thread but figured not really needed to make another one.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

I’m just as bad hearing the difference between rich and lean, I bracket the adjustments to both extremes to figure it out too! In college I could never tell the difference between Bach and Mozart so there! Must be the hearing damage from too many hours on those Navy helos!

So it looks to me that the Billetron 38 is going to be the best fit for the KDX if they come up with a mod for it to slip into our boots. It’s shorter and addresses the previous models design shortcomings. Guess I’ll wait!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I wonder if the 34mm vs 38mm would be a problem? I know on a fitment side but on a tuning side.

Btw no problems at all on fitment. It’s so easy to get in and out. I should know I have had it about 20 times.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Well bit of an update. Talked to lectron and they had me check some more measurements like what the slide measures to be and if the idle screw is damaged. I think it mostly checks out. The idle screw tip is a bit damaged but I don’t think that’s a problem.

They always said don’t go more than 1 turn either way from stock or you need to go to the next needle size. So I did not go out of that adjustment range. Well that’s what I needed to do I asked lectron if it would hurt the bike to try 2 turns or even 3 turns and they said no it won’t. So I went two turns up. Stock needle is 2.044” and I was running at 2.024” and I went to 1.996”. Sure enough it tried to fire and then died on the first good kick and the fired and idled really slow for 30 seconds and then ran right on the second good kick. I warmed it up pretty good and took it and rode it around the block and it seemed pretty good. I’m pretty excited about this. Lectron said that 1.996 is not bad for the 34mm carbs so I’m going to try it out and see. Maybe I will try even richer. That 1 turn richer was just not enough for my bike.

I want to ride it again which will still be a few weeks out to be forsure.

I will say I’m a bit unsure of exactly how this bike runs powerwise. I know it’s a 200cc trail bike I guess I’m just used to riding my 450. It feels closer to my yz125 than a yz250. Which in the super tech stuff is a good thing but any sort of faster trail it seems a bit slow and I want some more go.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are correct. You have purchased a 200 cc trail bike. The last model / design came out in fall of 1994, so about 27 years ago. It was "just" a 200 cc trail bike at that time. It's not going to compare to a "whatever year, make and model" 450 you own / are used to. You can make some small improvements, but it is not going to have the torque and HP that you are used to. We all enjoy it for it is and ain't or move on. :-)
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

Yeah that’s kinda what I figured. I have spent a lot of time on my yz125 and some on yz250s and 200cc is closer to 250 than it is 125 but I feel the kdx 200 feels like a 125 with a little more bottom. A 250 race bike will pull the front up east with no clutch cruising along in third gear and the kdx you have to really work for it.

I’m not concerned because I did not buy it to be Moto-Cross bike i got it to ride tech trails. I just questioned if it is running like it should. Do I have the carb tuning close.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A fifteen pound lighter bike with 45 HP instead of 29 will indeed be easier to pop the front wheel up. :-) I own a 2005 KX125, 2005 KX250 and 2007 YZ250. I have raced a fair bit of MX, so I am familiar with what you are talking about.

You are not comparing apples to apples. You are not asking about a 2021 Beta 200 off-road "racing" motorcycle. You are asking about a 1994 technology trail bike against a "whatever years you own" MX bike. :-) It is not a YZ200. A fair comparison is against a 1994 Honda XR250R or 1994 KLX250R.

The lower power and powerband style work well in the rough stuff, but is not going to be a rocket on the straights. Also, a YZ250 / 450 may not be as easy to manage in the tight stuff.

Read up on the airbox mod by Moonstomper, read people's opinions on getting a new pipe and spark arrestor, then see if you think it would help. It might not be enough to make it acceptable to what you want.
lcgordon711

Post by lcgordon711 »

I think you got me a bit wrong. I’m not saying it not acceptable I just wanna be sure it’s running correctly. Which by what you are saying I think mine is just fine.