Shift struggles

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

Shift struggles

Post by BlkDakDave »

Well after almost two weeks of being cooped up in the shed while doing the go-over, I was able to bring the ol' 220 out in the sunshine this morning.
IMG_20191104_095802 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20191104_095802 - Edited.jpg (597.11 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

The intent of the test ride was to see how my carb cleaning went and to warm up the transmision oil before changing it to what I knew would be fresh. The bike had good pull and acceleration. However shifting into the upper gears was not an effortless or thoughtless task. Sometimes is was 2nd, sometimes 3rd and even 4th. I did change the postion of the shifter to a little higher postition, but after the ride this morning I'm thinking about bringing it back down to see if that helps.

Reading through some transmission threads here, some say that ATF-F is a choice, while others use motor oil. What I drained out of my bike was some clean motor oil. Just wondering what the consensus would be on the shifting woes on my bike. Try some ATF, stick with motor oil, change the position of the shifter, or learn how to shift :lol:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT ALERT!

After having my lunch while writing the above post, I went back out to check on how the oil draining process was going. Checking the drained amount, it was less than 16 oz while it should have been closer to 24 oz. That could have been part of my shifting problem. Also, reading few more threads on transmission oil, I saw where a few were using 80w gear lube. I know my RoadStar 1700 used that in the trans.

I think I'll hop on the KLR 650 and run up to Walmart and buy some of their conventional 10w-40 dino oil then call it a day. I'll set the sag tomorrow.
Last edited by BlkDakDave on 06:09 pm Nov 04 2019, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shift struggles

Post by bufftester »

Just don't go mixing ATF and oil, the fibre plates don't appreciate it much. After drained put a full quart of wet clutch friendly oil (no friction modifiers) in and see how it does.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

bufftester wrote: 04:54 pm Nov 04 2019 Just don't go mixing ATF and oil, the fibre plates don't appreciate it much. After drained put a full quart of wet clutch friendly oil (no friction modifiers) in and see how it does.
That would be a "strange brew" although it seems like I read one post where someone did just that. I made the trip to Walmart and bought a few quarts of conventional 10w-40. I put in a little under 24 oz, which I'll run a for a while before dumping and then add a fresh one. I also readjusted the shifter down a little. The shifter was pretty bent up when I bought the bike. I straightened it up during the go-over and straightened it up some more today.

It's time for an adult beverage, so will check it out tomorrow once the wife and rest of the neighbors go to work.
NEVER FORGET!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Your bike looks fantastic! If it were me, I'd run the best wet clutch oil I could.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

16 years young!

Maxima MTL-R 80 or Bel-ray Gear Saver 80 weight have worked well for me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Molly's 70 wrote: 06:40 pm Nov 04 2019 Your bike looks fantastic! If it were me, I'd run the best wet clutch oil I could.
Thanks! It took a little TLC to get it to that point. Would like to eventually replace the rear rim as it's bent with a small crack. Justifing the coin for another one is a little hard especially when the one on there now seems to be pretty true and rides fine.
Here's a before picture (when I first got it home) and then and after picture.
Kdx comp_resize_7.jpg
Kdx comp_resize_7.jpg (596.52 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

And If I may, what brand/type are you running? -- Thanks again.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:33 pm Nov 04 2019 16 years young!

Maxima MTL-R 80 or Bel-ray Gear Saver 80 weight have worked well for me.
Question here KDXGarage; is this 80w similar to rear differential fluid. Seems like the best protection. Also are you using a conventional or synthetic 80w?

Thanks in advance!
NEVER FORGET!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Bel-ray once advertised that their 80 weight gear oil was similar to 10w-40.

I don't know if it is conventional or synthetic. I just buy it and go. :-)
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

As stated, Bel Ray is also a top choice. :bravo:
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Molly's 70 wrote: 01:53 pm Nov 05 2019 This is what I use.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ ... =DBTFQT-EA
The name Amsoil speaks for itself. How often do you change it? I read where some change their oil every three tanks or so. Probably not Amsoil, or mabe they're just riding hard.

Appreciate your input.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 03:46 pm Nov 05 2019 Bel-ray once advertised that their 80 weight gear oil was similar to 10w-40.

I don't know if it is conventional or synthetic. I just buy it and go. :-)
Reading up on their site it doesn't state if it is or not. I did see where it similar to 10w-40 and used in engines larger than 125cc. I'm currently using Bel-Ray synthetic mix @ 40:1 and very satisfied with how it performs.

Thanks for the info!

BTW- took the bike out this morning. The oil change and bringing it up to the right level last night seemed to do the trick. The bike shifted great! Still need to address the sag.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Molly's 70 wrote: 04:11 pm Nov 05 2019 As stated, Bel Ray is also a top choice. :bravo:
Good to know, thanks!
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am glad it is shifting properly now. Good deal!