Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Got questions? We got answers....
CarsonMcI

Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by CarsonMcI »

Okay so it's me again..I tried to rewind my stator to help with the aftermarket headlight that I have. When I installed the stator, the light was insanely dim, so I checked the voltage and it's showing 4 volts for some reason. Any ideas?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by SS109 »

Odd. Did you seal the windings?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

SS109 wrote: 05:32 pm Oct 26 2019 Odd. Did you seal the windings?
No. I used 17 GA coated magnet wire though?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Probably have a nick somewhere that is shorting the windings, coated wire can do that if it gets old or cold before winding. Check your solder joints as well to make sure you don't have a cold solder joint.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Did you measure resistance of the coil before you soldered everything together? The only two things that can go wrong are mentioned; a short or bad solder is somewhere in the circuit. Were you able to get the same amount of windings on there as OEM?
I like turtles
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

kdxsully wrote: 06:29 pm Oct 26 2019 Did you measure resistance of the coil before you soldered everything together? The only two things that can go wrong are mentioned; a short or bad solder is somewhere in the circuit. Were you able to get the same amount of windings on there as OEM?
It felt like there was 100 windings on the OEM one haha but I think i wrapped it around 3 maybe 4 times. I checked continuity on the joints and it was fine but I'm not really sure if that proves anything as far as bad solder. If there was a nick in the wire would it have continuity from one end of the stator to the other?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Mine came with 6, I managed 5. Your resistance reading will probably give you the best answer. Should be about .7-1.2 ohms. I put some clear epoxy over mine afterwards to protect it, not sure if that’s a standard or not though. I’ve never seen an oem coil with it
I like turtles
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

kdxsully wrote: 10:58 pm Oct 26 2019 Mine came with 6, I managed 5. Your resistance reading will probably give you the best answer. Should be about .7-1.2 ohms. I put some clear epoxy over mine afterwards to protect it, not sure if that’s a standard or not though. I’ve never seen an oem coil with it
I got .6 ohms.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Most meters aren’t perfect below 1 ohm, so if anything there may be a small short in it somewhere. Double check connections, clean all grounds as well just to rule that out
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I highly recommend using motor winding sealant to seal the windings. In high vibration setups like ours it helps keep the windings from rubbing against each other and causing a short. Keep applying it until the windings won't accept any more.
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Interesting comment. I've heard of products like Glyptal enamel, epoxy, and certain varnishes used by motor repair shops.

Never heard of "motor winding sealant" before.

Can you tell us more about this product; brand names and where to get some?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

It’s the first I’ve heard of it as well. There’s something for everything I guess
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I can't remember the one I used and I'm on vacation in Indy. However, if you google search motor winding sealant you'll see a bunch of products to choose from. It got recommended to me after I did my first stator rewind and the windings shorted out pretty quick. It was a fellow KDXrider member that told me about it. When I get home I'll post up the one I used.
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I didn't use any sealant on mine, and have had 0 issues in almost 7 years of riding. Key is to make sure you get the windings nice and tight while avoiding twisting the wire axially, which can cause the coating to break off. IIWM I'd strip it off and do it again (when I did mine I got the smallest spool of magnet wire I could find which was 1/4 pound and only used about a third of it so hopefully you have some remaining.) Krylon makes a spray electrical lacquer, or you can use plain old 2-part clear epoxy. The lacquer is primarily for heat dissipation and sealing the windings from contaminants, and to make the windings rigid. If you take care to wind them tightly you can get by without it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bufftester wrote: 07:39 pm Oct 29 2019 I didn't use any sealant on mine, and have had 0 issues in almost 7 years of riding. Key is to make sure you get the windings nice and tight while avoiding twisting the wire axially, which can cause the coating to break off.
Well, I didn't get that lucky. Probably my fault since it was the first time I rewound one myself.
bufftester wrote: 07:39 pm Oct 29 2019 The lacquer is primarily for heat dissipation and sealing the windings from contaminants, and to make the windings rigid.
Exactly why I used the stuff I did and it is a good, and easy, way to protect your hard work. There are many types, epoxies, lacquers, etc. that all accomplish the same goal.
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 07:39 pm Oct 29 2019 I didn't use any sealant on mine, and have had 0 issues in almost 7 years of riding. Key is to make sure you get the windings nice and tight while avoiding twisting the wire axially, which can cause the coating to break off. IIWM I'd strip it off and do it again (when I did mine I got the smallest spool of magnet wire I could find which was 1/4 pound and only used about a third of it so hopefully you have some remaining.) Krylon makes a spray electrical lacquer, or you can use plain old 2-part clear epoxy. The lacquer is primarily for heat dissipation and sealing the windings from contaminants, and to make the windings rigid. If you take care to wind them tightly you can get by without it.
I think bought 100 ft for like 11 bucks on eBay. Still had some extra in case I screwed up, which I did.
I like turtles
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Having rewound several multipost stators I know there is a winding pattern, clockwise-counterclockwise and vice versa. I'm wondering if the KDX single coil matters which end it is wound from. Is it now the same as how the stock wire came off?

As for coating the winding's, definitely don't do this before finding out the problem as that stuff is tough to remove. I use JB Weld for a quick cheap epoxy coating plus it has other uses later on.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

Thank you all for your replies! I found a nick in the stator and that was the cause. I rewound it and it works but now it seems the voltage regulator went bad. 10 volts at idle and over 24 when revved up.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Well, at least you have a working stator now. Very nice. Was the nick from when you were winding it? I found the enamel on my wire not very easy to get through.
I like turtles
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

kdxsully wrote: 04:43 pm Nov 09 2019 Well, at least you have a working stator now. Very nice. Was the nick from when you were winding it? I found the enamel on my wire not very easy to get through.
The enamel on mine is very thin I think I may have scraped it when installing it haha