Clutch Not Disengaging

Got questions? We got answers....
CarsonMcI

Clutch Not Disengaging

Post by CarsonMcI »

Hi all, I just did an engine rebuild and when heat cycling the bike I noticed that the clutch doesn't disengage. I adjusted the cable to where it almost bottoms out hoping that was the problem but when I went to put it in first it instantly stalled as if I didn't have the clutch in. The clutch was perfectly fine before the rebuild so I'm sure I did something wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch Not Disengaging

Post by kdxsully »

You’ll have to take the cover off and make sure your push rod is properly assembled.
I like turtles
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

kdxsully wrote: 08:36 pm Oct 25 2019 You’ll have to take the cover off and make sure your push rod is properly assembled.
I just took it off and checked and everything looked okay although im no expert lol. I made sure it was right based on the exploded diagrams I have though. There's pressure on the clutch lever so I can tell it's pushing the clutch in but idk it's just not releasing at all
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

What did you torque you're clutch spring fasteners to? Also, double check your washer stack-up, there a couple with a spacer and the placement matters.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

bufftester wrote: 09:56 pm Oct 25 2019 What did you torque you're clutch spring fasteners to? Also, double check your washer stack-up, there a couple with a spacer and the placement matters.
Springs were torqued to 76 in pounds and all the washers were right according to my diagrams except apparently one is slightly concaved? How important is the orientation?
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Turn the washer around, I did the same thing.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

jjavaman wrote: 12:24 pm Oct 26 2019 Turn the washer around, I did the same thing.
This sounds like a good idea, those thrust washers are very specific.
I like turtles
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

jjavaman wrote: 12:24 pm Oct 26 2019 Turn the washer around, I did the same thing.
This was it! Thank you!!
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I’m glad that’s what it was. Hard to believe that the little amount that the washer is concave can make such a difference at the lever.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but I’m having the same issue. Cracked my clutch cover at the end of the season and just got around to replacing it. Didn’t touch the clutch, did pull the pusher though. I only have a single washer on that and it doesn’t appear to be concave. Feel pretty foolish haven’t messed something up on a cover replacement.... After reading this maybe I managed to lose something.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The washer they were talking about is the jutter spring and it's inside the clutch pack. If all you did was pull your cover, that's not your problem. If your clutch was working fine before, just make sure the lever arm on the case is oriented correctly and the pushrod is properly inserted and see where you are.